Why are some Hotels in Galveston requiring 2 nights minimum stay?

robtx100

I tried to book the Hilton for one night May 30th and they stated they were booked. Funny how I can go online and book May 29th and 30th and they have rooms available. So, I'm stuck with having to pay 2x the price as 1 night would be at the Hilton for the Galvez. I've stayed at both. I can say that I am more than happy paying 2x the price at the Galvez for one night than I would be for paying the same price at Hilton and letting one night go vacant and them charging someone else for the room and getting 3x the funds. Hilton's loss. The other hotels that offer 1 night stays are almost laughable. $220 for one night at the old LaQuinta. lol. We made the mistake of staying there before. The bed was rock hard and no elevator to haul luggage to the 3rd floor. The Tremont won't be open before then. I wish Hilton would work with me on this, but they LIED. Hate liars.

Not all hotels there are back to full capacity...the hotels are doing everything they can to pull back in revenue. Some may still have temp housing situations for some of the rooms, which usually are not at the normal rates. With Spring Break and folks coming for the Weekend, the hotels don't necessarily want to have a room only sell for a single night when it could otherwise sell for two nights.

Just find a hotel that will work with you and don't worry about the ones looking out for their own economic wellbeing. They are for profit business entities.

I tried to book the Hilton for one night May 30th and they stated they were booked. Funny how I can go online and book May 29th and 30th and they have rooms available. So, I'm stuck with having to pay 2x the price as 1 night would be at the Hilton for the Galvez. I've stayed at both. I can say that I am more than happy paying 2x the price at the Galvez for one night than I would be for paying the same price at Hilton and letting one night go vacant and them charging someone else for the room and getting 3x the funds. Hilton's loss. The other hotels that offer 1 night stays are almost laughable. $220 for one night at the old LaQuinta. lol. We made the mistake of staying there before. The bed was rock hard and no elevator to haul luggage to the 3rd floor. The Tremont won't be open before then. I wish Hilton would work with me on this, but they LIED. Hate liars.

Have you considered bidding for one night on priceline? Others have been successful getting one night for a decent price.

A lot of people from Houston come to Galveston for the weekends in the summer. So, during busy months, when hotels know they'll be full, they can require a 2 night minimum on weekends. Other people have had luck getting just one night by booking on hotels dot com. You could try that. Otherwise, try a notch down from the Galvez and Hilton like Baymont Inn, Best Western, or Comfort Inn (although Comfort tends to be way over priced). Also, have you tried the Commodore? I know in late April they don't require a 2 night's stay, but that might change by May 30.

Thank you all for your responses. I went ahead and bit the bullet and booked the Galvez. They were only $40 more than Super8 and LaQuinta for that night. When I started this thread, I was upset with Hilton at the time and had 3 glasses of wine (never a good combination). I understand their reasoning. I still don't understand online pricing.

I encountered the same thing while looking to book Harbor House on my future cruise. I tried to book online and they were requiring a 2 night stay and i also called the hotel directly and they said the same thing. I went on hotels.com and found a room for 1 night at Harbor House for cheaper than what they were quoting me at the hotel ($270/night) I don't think so.

Try Gaidos Motel

Owned by and operates at same location

as Famed Legendary Restuarant at 36 and Seawall

on the gulf.

A lot of people from Houston come to Galveston for the weekends in the summer. So, during busy months, when hotels know they'll be full, they can require a 2 night minimum on weekends. Other people have had luck getting just one night by booking on hotels dot com. You could try that. Otherwise, try a notch down from the Galvez and Hilton like Baymont Inn, Best Western, or Comfort Inn (although Comfort tends to be way over priced). Also, have you tried the Commodore? I know in late April they don't require a 2 night's stay, but that might change by May 30.

We have stayed at a B&B called Grace Manor a couple of times and are treated like royalty and we only were required to book a one night stay. She also has free cruise parking and a breakfast to die for. :D If you do check this out be sure and eat at the Original Mexican Food Restaurant a few blocks away.

Archived