Rainy Season in FP?

tango223

Best time to visit FP. I was wondering whether to take a cruise through FP during the supposedly rainy season. I see many ships sailing in Feb to FP. Was wondering whether to gamble going in Feb versus in the summer. I also had a question if this is a trip good for someone who really doesn't enjoy the water sports or do strenuous hiking. Also for someone who is fair and can't be in the sun too long.

Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

We don't snorkel and are adverse to strenuous hikes ... and we enjoyed all of the islands tremendously. Went back three times, always in July or August, dry season, less hot, less humid.

The Aranui 3 (freighter with passengers, see thread on 'other cruiselines') and the Paul Gauguin are there year round.

A large hat and lose clothing with long sleeves helps against the sun.

February corresponds to August in the south. In Tahiti the rains are mainly before Xmas. In the Marquises islands, the rainy season is from January to July.

There have been 8 cruise ships at Nuku Hiva this year and the weather has smiled every time! Sometimes a little cloudy, but that just makes it a little less hot.

There is very little walking needed to see the islands, air conditioned cars are easy to hire, with or without Driver/guide.

Thank you Kalenana and Floridiana for your reply. I did have another question for Floridiana, did you see FP on a cruise? If so, did you sail with Paul Gaugin? We were thinking about a PG cruise sometime between late July and late Aug.

Thanks again.

We didn't go on the Paul Gauguin, we went on the Aranui twice. And in between we went on the small catamaran Haumana which doesn't do the Society Islands any more. I think they do fishing charters on one of the Tuamotus.

A warning though: the islands are addictive! :)

We didn't go on the Paul Gauguin, we went on the Aranui twice. And in between we went on the small catamaran Haumana which doesn't do the Society Islands any more. I think they do fishing charters on one of the Tuamotus.

A warning though: the islands are addictive! :)

I remember seeing the Haumana and thinking what a terrific experience that would be!

Always wanted to do the Aranui, but it hasn't turned out that way so far. Perhaps we'll do it yet.