Carnival Conquest transition review -San Juan to Miami

Hi!

I am going to try to do a quick review of our Conquest sailing while I organize our photos. This is long overdue as we sailed November 2013! On this trip we took my 87 year old dad which was wonderful, but completely exhausting. All in all it was a great trip, only one issue but it didn’t stop us from having a great trip. The Conquest was great ship, only bummer was no Serenity?? Our stops where San Juan, St Kitts, Roseau, St Marteen, Antiqua, and Grand Turk. Dad always wanted to see San Juan so this was the perfect sailing! Here we go!

Dad really wanted to see the Forts so we dropped off our luggage and headed for Castillo De San Cristobal. Unfortunally by the time we got there Dad was to tired to explore so he watched the video of the fort in an air conditioned room while DH and I took a look around.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The view were amazing!

ry%3D480

Isnt he cute?

ry%3D480

We walked around a little while Dad relaxed in an outside Cafe right by the port. We tried our first mofongo, it was so good I have been craving more ever since!

ry%3D400

Dad just Chilling and people watching....

ry%3D480

DH had to get a fresh rolled cigar to enjoy, ewwe!

ry%3D400

Edited by arabellalorenze

Emabarkment was very easy. when we arrived the staff quickly came running with a wheelchair for dad. I was so gratefull for how well they treated him, the rest of the trip all the staff called him King James, lol. They really did treat him like royalty! We knew this was probably our last trip with him so we wanted everything to be about him! Part of the reason I decided to do this review was because King James is coming home from a three week hospital stay today on Easter Sunday with at home nursing care. He is helping me go through the photos and picking which ones to post so everyone say Hi to King James!

King James watching the sail away..Dad sat right here while his own personal staff came out to do the muster drill with him, he was quite spoiled! Dinner was open seating the first night out of San Juan. We found out the rest of our dinners would be right beside a window with great views coutesy of John herald. Dinner for us was at early seating but Dad would sit and enjoy the view for hours. The dining staff never rushed him and the one night when we reported he was too ill to make it to dinner, they brought dinner to him. I swear I cried! When I hear about people complaining about Carnivals service I just think of our three waiters coming up to dads room with trays of food and singing to him on thier own time! Talk about service A+ above and beyond!

ry%3D400

I thought the shop was really pretty with all the flower lights

ry%3D400

King James the first night at dinner with his favorite son, you know the one that takes him on a cruise!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Dad said thats enough today St Kitts tomorrow....

St Kitts.

Dad woke up feeling strong today so I knew it was going to be a good day! We went to breakfast in the dining room everyday. Its just to hard and crowded with dad and his cane or wheelchair in the buffet. Every breakfast was good, food was always hot and service was always fast. King James only has and only ever had two speeds, slow and slower so I called Rose and Jims taxi service to see about a private tour. I spoke with Rose and I was very impressed when she said she will give us a tour on our own schedule herself! She e-mailed me several times to see what kind of things dad enjoys doing months before the trip. Carnival staff brought a wheelchair to the diningroom and wheeled dad right out into the port where Rose was waiting for us with a golf cart to take us to her van. She hugged dad on sight and was his new bestfriend the entire day!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Our first stop was Romney Manor, on the way there we drove through town, an old sugar plantation, and the rain forest.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The gardens at Romney were nice to stroll around. Rose took her time with dad and explained everything he was seeing.

ry%3D400

Rose showing dad the lipstick flower

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

King James has no difficulty walking around here at all, if anybody has health problems.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

St Kitts is beautiful and lush, we were never hounded to buy anything. If anyone even came close to King James Rose gave them a look and the ran! I wanted to take dad to Brimstone but he was getting tired so we headed to The Ship Wreck Bar. DH wanted to visit here since he heard about it. We enjoyed our time so much we are going back in September. Rose sat with dad in the shade and they had lunch together while we took a swim and snorkled.

I loved the black sand beach and views!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Saying goodbye to Rose and our wonderful day

ry%3D400

St kitts thoughts - The island is lovely, I really enjoyed seeing the Batik cloth being made and picked up some beautiful peices here. They are rather expensive but quite beautiful. King James charmed one of the workers here and she gave him two scented soaps wrapped in Batik cloth. I am pretty sure Rose had something to do with this also so she got a rather large tip (more than the entire tour for four) at the end. The boys however could have cared less. I was disappointed that dad missed another fort but he said that the extra time at the beach was worth it. Doing an island tour your first visit is a great excursion. On our next visit we are heading straight for the beach.

Easy for me to connect since my father and I are so close.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

He is actually me father in law but my dad died before I was born and my husbands and our land connects so he has always been my father figure. I love him to pieces. My husband was born when he was 50 and raised all five kids himself. He is truly an amazing man, my husband says I married him just to steal his dad, he may be right! LOL Actually I am very blessed to be apart of thier family!

Tomorrow we will revisit our day in Roseau, Dominica. Dad didnt make it to this port, he was just to weak. He spent the day enjoying the ocean while we took a quick tour. We found out while we were gone dad went to the spa. I won a free treatment that I passed on to him on the first day drawing. With most everyone off the ship he somehow charmed himself into lunch with the captain and enjoyed watching a movie from the hot tub. Serously how does he do this? I have been on alot of cruises and have never seen the captain!

I loved the black sand beach and views!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Saying goodbye to Rose and our wonderful day

ry%3D400

St kitts thoughts - The island is lovely, I really enjoyed seeing the Batik cloth being made and picked up some beautiful peices here. They are rather expensive but quite beautiful. King James charmed one of the workers here and she gave him two scented soaps wrapped in Batik cloth. I am pretty sure Rose had something to do with this also so she got a rather large tip (more than the entire tour for four) at the end. The boys however could have cared less. I was disappointed that dad missed another fort but he said that the extra time at the beach was worth it. Doing an island tour your first visit is a great excursion. On our next visit we are heading straight for the beach.

Your review and pictures are so lovely that I googled Rose & Jim and sent them an email to inquire about a tour with them. Thanks for the good advice.

I have Roses direct e-mail and contact number if you would like me to send it to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you but she already responded. I wasn't expecting her to be working on the holiday. We are all set for our tour in 2 weeks. I mentioned your review and that I would like one similar to what she provided to your family. :D

We were also on this cruise, its funny how two families can see completely different "stuff" in ports. But then we had a 10yo boy with us. :)

I will always remember this cruise has having the most amazing sunsets.

Love your pictures!