Marina questions

SeaBunny

I would greatly appreciate some additional information on the marina.

Can you snorkel from the platform?

What's that "liner" like so you can swim in the ocean?

What other toys/etc. are available?

Do they check out complimentary snorkel equipment? We have our own but it's nice not to have to pack fins.

Thanks!

I have been on 6 Seabourn cruises and have only had the marina experience once. Even our recent Seabourn cruise in the Caribbean didn't have a marina day directly from the ship. More commonly they offer "beach toys" such as kayaks, windsurfers, banana boat rides etc from the shore at specific places, perhaps once per cruise depending on the itinerary.

On the one occasion when they had the marina out, you could only swim in the pool that extended from the ship, not in the ocean around the ship. The sides of the pool were mesh, fine enough that "nasties" couldn't get in! Water activities such as kayaks etc were launched from the marina platform. In the Caribbean on the Seabourn Odyssey, we were offered goggles and snorkels to take ashore to snorkel, but they had a very limited supply of fins and most were in very large sizes so I would take my own.

cruising kirby has pretty much covered it and I'm posting to reiterate that in my experience too the marina is not used very often. It's underused in my opinion.

It's most often used in the Mediterranean. Does a marina day show on your cruise itinerary? If not, what ship and which region is your cruise? I took a Med cruise that didn't show a marina day in the itinerary so it was a very pleasant surprise when it was used.

cruising kirby has pretty much covered it and I'm posting to reiterate that in my experience too the marina is not used very often. It's underused in my opinion.

It's most often used in the Mediterranean. Does a marina day show on your cruise itinerary? If not, what ship and which region is your cruise? I took a Med cruise that didn't show a marina day in the itinerary so it was a very pleasant surprise when it was used.

There were 2 marina days on our 14 day Med cruise, once was cancelled completely and the other day it started and then was called off, both times due to rough seas. The seas don't need to be very rough for the marina day to be called off.

From the replies, I'm gathering that "marina days" are announced in advance and/or on your itinerary on Seabourn? We recently returned from a Paul Gauguin cruise where the marina was open pretty much every day. It seems Seabourn is not like that.

Appreciate the information. We are actually considering a Seabourn Caribbean cruise late this year, but also looking at Crystal. This was one thing we needed more info on. I trust the real experiences of former passengers over corporate websites.

So, thanks!

From the replies, I'm gathering that "marina days" are announced in advance and/or on your itinerary on Seabourn? We recently returned from a Paul Gauguin cruise where the marina was open pretty much every day. It seems Seabourn is not like that.

Appreciate the information. We are actually considering a Seabourn Caribbean cruise late this year, but also looking at Crystal. This was one thing we needed more info on. I trust the real experiences of former passengers over corporate websites.

So, thanks!

We had Marina Days on all but 1 of our SB cruises.We had none on our 2 week Paul Gauguin.So you never know.It was the one thing we complained about on PG.

I would expect that marina days would be weather dependent on all cruise lines. So it's probably luck of the draw when booking a cruise. Although some ports are more likely to be protected from the weather. Even if they did run on windy days it wouldn't be very pleasant.

Edited by ab21au
spelling

I have never yet had a Marina day on a Seabourn sailing despite being in plenty of places where the weather and local conditions would seemingly allow it. I have been on one sailing where we had the previously notated Beach BBQ/Caviar in the Sea event where the Marina toys were taken over to that event.

I would not recommend using the Marina as a selection criteria.

I have never yet had a Marina day on a Seabourn sailing despite being in plenty of places where the weather and local conditions would seemingly allow it. I have been on one sailing where we had the previously notated Beach BBQ/Caviar in the Sea event where the Marina toys were taken over to that event.

I would not recommend using the Marina as a selection criteria.

Quite agree. Most of my Seabourn cruises have been in the Caribbean and as I posted upthread, I've only seen the marina once and that was in the Mediterranean.

Does anyone know if marina days are still notated on itineraries? I haven't seen a paper brochure for a couple of years and going through all the itineraries on the website is something I don't have time for!