Quito, Ecuador flights

OVgirl

I would love to do a cruise that goes to Ecuador.

Since this isn't going to happen soon, I've decided to just fly down there.

Any feedback is most welcome.

Will be flying from YYZ(Toronto) to UIO(Quito).

There are a number of airlines to choose from including COPA, LAN, AA, United, Delta,TASCA.

The connections are mostly through Miami, Atlanta, Houston, Panama City, or Bogota.

I have been checking the Hipmunk website to get ideas.

Anyone have preferences regarding airline or connecting city?

Hoping to get a flight with one of the shorter travel times. Some flights have you traveling over 25 hours. That's just too long for me.

Thanks all.

Small quibble: I think you've managed to create a merger between TACA and LASCA. Or we have a misspelled opera.

I would suggest that you move away from Hipmunk and try ITA instead. Hipmunk tries to work their "agony" algorithm as a selling point for using their website. I have found that they miss various flight combinations and are more concerned with being "hip" than comprehensive. And if you like the time bar presentation (which I do), there is that option with ITA as well.

Any of these combinations work. If you are an Aeroplan member, then I would look to Star Alliance carriers so your miles could be applied to Aeroplan. If those considerations don't matter (and they should given the distances involved), then be more price-sensitive.

As for connections: remember that on some of these possible routes, there is limited frequency of service. So some longer connections may be necessary. In addition, you don't want to have tight connects which cause you to be stranded mid-trip, or your luggage to misconnect. At an unfamiliar airport, time is your asset or enemy. You choose which.

Plus, the time for connects allows you to get out of your cramped coach seat and stretch your legs, walk around, have a snack or beverage and unwind between segments.

As for the price/time tradeoff....only you can determine what your time is worth.

I have flown on all these airline except for TACA.

If the pricing and scheduling is similar ( which I doubt ) and it comes down to choosing based on airline , LAN would be the winner in my book.

The service is excellent and the equipment is very modern ( at least on the flights I have been on ).

They offer some excellent prices on occasion to Quito from the States.

Quito is a lovely city. I stayed at a wonderful hotel called Hacienda Rumiloma , which overlooks the city. It is perched above Quito offering spectacular views. It is off the beaten path , but it is a very special place. They also have a first class restaurant.

Ecuador is great- enjoy!

Archived