NOLA driving or flying- thoguhts.

cruzinlisa

Okay, I am not sure I am asking for opinions, because I know its only something I can decide for myself, but maybe some thoughts. DH, I and DD are traveling from Jefferson City MO (right in the center of the state) to NOLA for a Carnival cruise in October. THis is our third time cruising from NOLA. We always drive. From where we are, it takes around 11-12 hours, assuming short stops for gas, food and biological needs. However, our 3 year old is now potty trained so I don't know if that will make a difference. She is good at holding it, but we have not taken that long of a trip since she has been potty trained. I just got an email from SOuthwest about a sale and assuming we fly out on Saturday evening and home on Saturday (cruise is from MOnday to Saturday), we could get a non-stop flight for $534 (including taxes) for the 3 of us. That does not include early bird check in though, which we might have to do to ensure that we are able to get a seat with DD. THere are no fees for bags.

If we drive, we will leave Saturday and stay a night in Mississippi, so we are incurring 2 hotel costs either way.

If we fly, we have to worry about transport to hotel, but we also have more flexibility in our hotels because we do not have to worry about finding a park and fly right or pay for parking during the cruise.

Driving, we have fuel of course, which is probably about $200-$300, plus mileage on the car. But we also can bring whatever we want.

Flying- we of course have more time due to not driving. And we may cancel the FTTF we bought for our cruise ($50)

Has anyone weighed the pros and cons like this before and do you have any thoughts.

We are from Central Illinois and have had this same conversation. Flying usually wins out for us. Only because of the convenience and we do not like to get off the cruise only to drive 14 hrs back home. That sucks!:(

If flying Southwest, I'm not sure if you will need early bird check-in. I believe they let families with small children board before group A. Might be worth checking into.

We do have another cruise booked out of NOLA for this October, only this time we are taking the Amtrak.

We live in southern Alberta Canada which is about 2,300 miles from NO.

Looked at flights but decided to drive and make this an extended visit to the US. There is so much to see enroute that we've planned a one month round trip ( including cruise ). Being retired gives us this option which I understand is not available to all. Besides, we much prefer the short wait to clear customs at the border rather than the hassle of airports. :)

If you can still get the flights, I would do so. You can board during family boarding after A, before group B. You can take the car seat as long as it is FAA approved.

The drive from mid-MO with a 3 year old would start bout OK, but probably be very tiring by the end.

If timing works out, you might even take Amtrak to STL or KC and a shuttle to the airport for about the same price as driving and parking.