Swimming with the Dolphins In PV-Need Advice

MissMouthy

We will be in Puerto Villarta in February and I really want to take my girls swimming with dolphins. I'd prefer to do my own excursion instead of through the ship, primarily to save money.

With that in mind, do you recommend Dolphin Adventures or Dolphin Discovery?

Which swim is the best bang for your buck among the Signature, Adventure, Royal, etc.?

If our ship docs at 10, what time should I make our swim? I've heard the actual locations are a ways away from the port.

How is the water park at Dolphin Discovery?

Please don't flame me for participating in captive dolphin activities. I'm aware of the issue and I've already made up my mind.

Thanks so much for your information! I am so excited to share this experience with my family!

Be aware that probably the dolphin programms you mention are done by Vallarta Adventures, more on their website: http://www.vallarta-adventures.com/tours/dolphins

BUT..........if you are on a cruiseship you cannot book them directly, they have contracts with the cruiseships. That also means that on those days the ships have priority on booking, so often the populair hours are booked.

You other option is to book in another park in Nuevo Vallarta http://www.aquaventuras.com/

in Nuevo Vallarta through e.g.this wholesaler: http://www.puertovallarta.net/tours/index.php

I havenot been to this other park, but their website gives much information. It is not just a park with dolphins, they also have pools.

To get there you will need a cab, the ride will be about 30 minutes. The yellow cabs from the street neat the terminal are the less expensive, I think they will carge about US$ 20,- per ride. The cabs at the terminal are a bit more expensive, they charge per person. Always make your price before entering the cabs.

On the return the park can arrange a cab for you, as you cannot book or use the same cabs for the return.

We booked directly through Aquaventuras in PV about 3 years ago, this is the park with the water park. Our children were 10 and 6 at the time and we had a great time. We stayed at the water park, which was virtually empty for about 3 hours after we swam with the dolphins. The taxi ride was about $15 (we asked up front before we got in) and easily found right when you get off the ship. It took about 15-20 minutes to drive to the park. We thought it was clean and fun. The dolphins seemed well cared for.

After our swim, of course, they try to sell you their pictures, which OF COURSE, were darling!! We decided to not get any and then the price came down to about 20% off what they wanted originally, all of the pictures were put on a CD for us, no prints.

They called a taxi for us when we were ready to go back to the ship and it was the same price.

Thank you so much for the information! I was wondering about getting a taxi back to the ship! Do you remember which swim you participated in? The Royal Swim, Dolphin Adventure or Dolphin Encounter? Good to know the prices for the pics came down, too. Thank you!!!

Thank you so much for the information! I was wondering about getting a taxi back to the ship! Do you remember which swim you participated in? The Royal Swim, Dolphin Adventure or Dolphin Encounter? Good to know the prices for the pics came down, too. Thank you!!!

I"m not sure which it was called. We met a sea lion, then we got in the water and learned about the dolphins. We got to go across the pool holding onto their dorsel fin, and then they pushed us by our feet. Does that help?

I've been thinking the park will be best for us in April because we'll have an almost 4-year-old and I have no idea whether he'll actually be willing to swim with the dolphins. So hopefully this will allow us to play it by ear without financially committing to anything. And if nothing else, he enjoys water parks.

Does anyone who has already been there know how often they're totally booked in advance versus being able to just walk in and sign up?

I've been thinking the park will be best for us in April because we'll have an almost 4-year-old and I have no idea whether he'll actually be willing to swim with the dolphins. So hopefully this will allow us to play it by ear without financially committing to anything. And if nothing else, he enjoys water parks.

Does anyone who has already been there know how often they're totally booked in advance versus being able to just walk in and sign up?

As far as I know they are not booked in advance all the time, but.... Semana Santa will be from March 28 till about April 12 which brings lots of mexican tourists to the area too. So if you arrive around that time better book in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
As far as I know they are not booked in advance all the time, but.... Semana Santa will be from March 28 till about April 12 which brings lots of mexican tourists to the area too. So if you arrive around that time better book in advance.

We will be there the week of April 5 so that's very helpful information. Thanks!