excursion recommendations

pooh bear lover

The only actual excursion I've done in my 3 visits to that region was one Costa offered but was done by a company called Seawings I think. It's was a hydroplane tour of Dubai and beaches if or around 45 minutes. The plane only seated 9 people and everyone had a window seat. It was a great way to see the iconic architecture. A limo took us a short drive from the cruise terminal to where the plane took off. After the aerial tour we landed in Dubai creek where we had refreshments at a lovely golf Club. Our limo then returned to take us back to the port giving us a tour of the old town on the way back. Really enjoyed that but it was expensive.

Everything else I've done! I've organised myself and got their by taxi.

I've had afternoon tea in the Burj al Arab (you have to prebook), been to Jumeirah Beach residences and The Wlak (great for cafes and restaurants and a stroll on the beach or the Marina behind there). At Dubai mall you have the Burj Khalifa and the fountains as wll as a modern Douk development opposite. Madinant Douk is nice too. You could get an ABTA across the creek and visit all the souks (gold, spice etc). On my next visit to Dubai I've booked afternoon tea in the Sultan's lounge oat the Jumeirah Zabeel Sarah hotel on the Palm and have a spa appointment afterwards. I'll probably use one of the free shuttle buses from the terminal to visit a mall I've not been to before and will also return to Fubai Marina.

In Abu Dhabi a must is the Sheik Zayed Grand Mosque - it's simply stunning. I've also had lunch at the Emirates palace and been to a few of the Malls and been along the Corniche. There is Ferrari world if that interests you at Ys Island. I'm just getting a day pass at the Monte Carlo beach Club on Saadiyat island.

Muscat you can explore the Corniche on foot - it's a lovely walk. The world famous old Mutrah Douk is near the port gates on the Cornice. They also have a beautiful mosque and new opera house. There is a HOHO bus (as there is in Dubai and Abu Dhabi which for some are more flexible and cheaper than private tours). I'm going to spend the day at the Dhangri La's private beach this time around.

At Khasab you can have a Dhow Cruise or a jeep tour . Other than that it's a 20 minute walk into the small town.

There is no shortage of things to do in Dubai especially.

In Dubai, you can also go to the top of Burj Khalifa on your own. Just book the tickets in advance on the internet. I think they are $25 or so. Get a cab from the port to the Burj. It was about $15. So it was a total of about $80 for two. Princess wanted $119 per person.

Regarding the Burj Khalifa in Dubai.

Tickets can be expensive, but the experience is excellent. There is an excellent exhibition area on the way to the lifts that explain a lot about the construction, design etc. Once up at the observation platform (some of it in the open) you can stay as long as you like.

PRE-booked and time allocated tickets are AED125.- p.p. Immediate entry (show up and go up) are AED400.- p.p.

www.burjkhalifa.ae

Dubai HOHO bus is not too bad, but if yoiu want to se a few major sights and/or malls it is better and cheaper to take taxis point to point.

All taxis are clean and metered (and have GPS if the driver doesnt know the way).

There is also a very cheap and new sky train /metro, but it is a bit confusing using it for the first time and the routes do not neccessarily stop right at the touristy places

In Muscat, the corniche by the harbour and the "muttra Souqu" (the old market) are pleasant enought for an hour or two.

The Royal Opera house is STUNNING and a must see. Even if only from the outside. From the big plaza outside there are a few big brown doors that may be closed, but try and see if they are locked. Most of the time they are open. Ther is always (armed) security there, but the guys are nice ad will most likely let you take a peek in the foyer.

There ARE guided tours available for free or very cheap, but the timeas ear quite bzzare and random.

Check the website www.rohmuscat.org.om

There are a few nice resataurants in the opera complex, the best of which is a stunning Indian restaurant called The Indus. Superb food (even my Indian friends say so) and they serve booze!!!!

As for money, there is no real need to buy Omai Rials (OMR). Most places do take credit cards and for just about everywhere UAE Dirhams (AED) are readily accepted. The exchange rate for convenience sake is normally 10 AED = 1 OMR.

If you prefewr to have Omai cash, there are plenty of ATM (also by the port and the corniche / souqu) where you can draw cash with your cards.

Someone mentioned the beach by the Shangri La resort.

It is very nice, but costly. Somewhere around 20 OMR and if the resort is busy, they will not let in day guestes.

A nce enough option for a decent beach with a small restaurant and clean facilities is the Oman Dive Center (one bay before the Shangri La).

Entry there is only 3 OMR (And they do rent towels, if you dont bring them from the ship).

Be careful with taxis to any of these places. They will try to rip you off.

Do not pay more than 5 OMR each way.

Shangri la day passes are now OMR 25 for adults and 15 for children. It does include buffet lunch now but drinks are obviously extra. The pass entitles you to a 20% discount at their spa. Agreed the dive centre will be much cheaper. You're obviously paying for the luxury services at Shangri La.

• 2 months later...

Were in Dubai March 2013. HOHO bus was bargain of the century. Get the two-day pass, then spend one whole day on Route 1, another whole day on Route 2. Bus pass comes with admission to several places, as well as the transportation. Great and inexpensive way to get around. Highly recommend it.