Vehicle and driver to tour Da Nang

cashmeremypuppydog

Hello all,

I will be cruising with Volendam in January 2015 and one of our port of call will be Da Nang (Tien Sa port) (7am- 6pm). I have already done extensive research on our ports of call. Someone on cruisecritic (she has been to Vietnam on several occasions and know him personnally) recommended Tommy Dao Travel, Tour operator Email: tommyxuanha@gmail.com Cellphone: +84 905044564 Skype: tommyxuan1

I have booked him already for next year! He seems very nice and has replied to my e-mails very quickly.

The flexible itinerary is:

8:00 Pick up by the guide/driver outside the port.

9:00 Arrival at the Marble Mountain. Take a lift up to the mountains to visit Lin Ung pagoda (huge white Buddha). Tang Chon cave, the Heaven cave, the Huyen Khong cave, the Tam Thanh pagoda, and the River watching terrace. Take a lift down the mountains.

10:30: Drive to China Beach (My Khe beach) and to a big marble workshop along the seafront road. 11:30: Transfer to Hoi An, the pleasant ancient town of Vietnam, a World Cultural Heritage site since 1999. Enjoy pleasant city walk to the Hoian history museum, Hoian market, the Fujien Chinese temple, Tan Ky ancient house, the famous Japanese pagoda bridge & great shopping. Enjoy lunch of local specialties (“cao lau” noodle, fried wontons, white roses, chicken rice etc.) at the riverside restaurant to enjoy the view around (not included).

16:00 Drive back to the port through Danang city main streets for an idea of what it looks like. If we have time maybe visit Da Nang.

17:00 Drop-off at the Tien Sa port

Tommy (or his driver) is not a guide (but speak English), you can plan your own day as you wish or follow the above itinerary... The prices are: For 2 to 3 people: 45$/each and transportation will be a car

For 4 to 15 people:35$/each and transportation will be a mini van (4-10) or a large van (11-15) His prices seem quite reasonable. Good luck!

**Ask the driver if we have time to go to Tra Que Vegetable Village (3km N/E of Hoi An) which is famous for herbal plants and vegetables. This land was formed 300 years ago, surrounded by De Vong River and Tra Que Lagoon, so it has very good atmosphere with fresh air.... We could learn how local farmers cultivate the vegetables, could enjoy taking beautiful photos of the green fields and the village.:D

• 4 months later...

I will be back again in Hoian in mid July and have already booked Tommy Dao for tours and transfers- he has added some different and interesting itineraries and I'm looking forward to seeing him again. He is a really lovely young man with an incredibly nice personality.

He makes sightseeing in Hoian, Hue and Danang so much fun.

he has also added a Facebook page here where you can see some of the tours he's taking..

https://www.facebook.com/tommydaotravel

I will be back again in Hoian in mid July and have already booked Tommy Dao for tours and transfers- he has added some different and interesting itineraries and I'm looking forward to seeing him again. He is a really lovely young man with an incredibly nice personality.

He makes sightseeing in Hoian, Hue and Danang so much fun.

he has also added a Facebook page here where you can see some of the tours he's taking..

https://www.facebook.com/tommydaotravel

Thanks for the info and recommendation! FB page was very helpful. I'll be in contact with him soon!

Have you (or anyone) used him from the Chan May port?

Edited by TravelingDiva1

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the info and recommendation! FB page was very helpful. I'll be in contact with him soon!

I am arranging several tours via our roll call with Custom Vietnam Travel to Hoi An. They also are offering an alternative tour to Hue which some are doing.

We are also using them for HCMC, & Halong Bay.

They had a good critic on TripAdvisor.

yes, my two girlfriends (Sue and Stef) came into port and I arranged for Tommy to pick them up and take them on a tour for the day (that was 2 year's ago) and they had a most wonderful day with him- they are still talking about that day, two year's later, as being the highlight of their cruise. :)

The price includes everything except lunch. I obtained his name from Raringtogo. I have e-mailed Tommy on several occasions and he replied within 24 hours. He seems very nice and a family man...

I think his pricing are quite affordable... I don't think we will regret choosing him. I will update this post after my cruise...

Sorry, the entrance fees are not included. For the price mentioned above, it includes the driver/guide, vehicle and gas.

• 1 month later...
Hello all,

I will be cruising with Volendam in January 2015 and one of our port of call will be Da Nang (Tien Sa port) (7am- 6pm). I have already done extensive research on our ports of call. Someone on cruisecritic (she has been to Vietnam on several occasions and know him personnally) recommended Tommy Dao Travel, Tour operator Email: tommyxuanha@gmail.com Cellphone: +84 905044564 Skype: tommyxuan1

I have booked him already for next year! He seems very nice and has replied to my e-mails very quickly.

9:00 Arrival at the Marble Mountain. Take a lift up to the mountains to visit Lin Ung pagoda (huge white Buddha). Tang Chon cave, the Heaven cave, the Huyen Khong cave, the Tam Thanh pagoda, and the River watching terrace. Take a lift down the mountains.

10:30: Drive to China Beach (My Khe beach) and to a big marble workshop along the seafront road. 11:30: Transfer to Hoi An, the pleasant ancient town of Vietnam, a World Cultural Heritage site since 1999. Enjoy pleasant city walk to the Hoian history museum, Hoian market, the Fujien Chinese temple, Tan Ky ancient house, the famous Japanese pagoda bridge & great shopping. Enjoy lunch of local specialties (“cao lau” noodle, fried wontons, white roses, chicken rice etc.) at the riverside restaurant to enjoy the view around (not included).

16:00 Drive back to the port through Danang city main streets for an idea of what it looks like. If we have time maybe visit Da Nang.

Tommy (or his driver) is not a guide (but speak English), you can plan your own day as you wish or follow the above itinerary... The prices are: For 2 to 3 people: 45$/each and transportation will be a car

For 4 to 15 people:35$/each and transportation will be a mini van (4-10) or a large van (11-15) His prices seem quite reasonable. Good luck!

**Ask the driver if we have time to go to Tra Que Vegetable Village (3km N/E of Hoi An) which is famous for herbal plants and vegetables. This land was formed 300 years ago, surrounded by De Vong River and Tra Que Lagoon, so it has very good atmosphere with fresh air.... We could learn how local farmers cultivate the vegetables, could enjoy taking beautiful photos of the green fields and the village.:D

Hi Cashmeremypuppydog - I have just approached Tommy for this tour in November but he has advised his rates are:

From 1 to 4 pax: 85$USD per person

From 5 to 8 pax: 75$USD per person

Kevin

Hi Cashmeremypuppydog - I have just approached Tommy for this tour in November but he has advised his rates are:

From 1 to 4 pax: 85$USD per person

From 5 to 8 pax: 75$USD per person

Kevin

Hello Kevin,

Tommy contacted me last week and informed me that he is now going all-inclusive. In your price, all entrance fees are included. His prices are now like any other tour operator in Vietnam. My dealings with him through e-mails have just been positive.

I will post my comments at our return from our cruise in 2015...

Cashmeremypuppydog

Hello Kevin,

Tommy contacted me last week and informed me that he is now going all-inclusive. In your price, all entrance fees are included. His prices are now like any other tour operator in Vietnam. My dealings with him through e-mails have just been positive.

I will post my comments at our return from our cruise in 2015...

Cashmeremypuppydog

Thanks cashmeremypuppydog - I understand, I didn't realise there were entrance fees on the tour.

It does now include lunch.

Is his revised all inclusive pricing in line with his quote to me?

Just want to be sure it's ok before I post on CC for others to join us.

Regards

Kevin

Thanks cashmeremypuppydog - I understand, I didn't realise there were entrance fees on the tour.

It does now include lunch.

Is his revised all inclusive pricing in line with his quote to me?

Just want to be sure it's ok before I post on CC for others to join us.

Regards

Kevin

Kevin,

I don't know but with my dealings with him, he seems very honest. He is a young man trying to build a good name/reputation and I am sure he gave you accurate pricing.

I do believe you will meet him before we do (we are cruising in Jan 2015) so please write a post at your return so it can benefit every cruisers ... Thanks again and have a great cruise. :)

• 1 month later...
Hello all,

Hello Cashemeremypuppydog!!!! do you know if we could hire another taxi/van for the same tour? we are four in our group, also taking the January 2015 cruise!!

Thanks!!!

Edited by Mafalda9

Hello Cashemeremypuppydog!!!! do you know if we could hire another taxi/van for the same tour? we are four in our group, also taking the January 2015 cruise!!

Thanks!!!

hi Mafalda

I'm going to just pop an answer in here about Tommy Dao- as I know him so well having used his services many many times.

He actually is NOT a taxi driver- he doesn't have a taxi. He has a private car and is a licenced Tour Guide for the Danang, Hue, and HoiAn districts.

Tommy also runs a booking agency in HoiAn and can book all tours, transfers and anything else you need for your time in HoiAn including all tours and transfers from Cruise ships arriving into both Chan May Port and Tien Sa Port.

If he happens to be booked out for your date, it will be no problem for him to book a tour or driver for your date

I hope this helps anyone who is looking for these services-

his details once again:

tommyxuanha@gmail.com and his facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/tommydaotravel

on his facebook page you can see photos and recommendations from people who have arrived on a cruise and have taken tours with tommy. - he is a

Thanks!!!

Hello Mafalda,

We are on the same cruise! Yes, contact Tommy and he will be able to help you. I believe he now does an all-inclusive tour for Da Nang and Hoi An (all entrances and lunch included). He will be our guide that day so you would get one of his associate.

Tommy and I have e-mailed each other since January and he seems like a very nice man...

Good luck.

The Canadians! :D

• 1 month later...

One of our ports on our recent Princess cruise was Da Nang. I did a lot of research on local tour guides because we are not big on using the ship tours. I found many excellent reviews for Tommy Dao Travel so I contacted him to see what he could offer for the day. He recommended a trip to Hoi An. After several emails back and forth, I put together a group of 20 folks from the roll call for our cruise and made arrangements with Tommy. He picked us up at the port with a driver and tour guide (Lucky) and off we went. We drove through Da Nang where he pointed out a few interesting sights. There is not much of interest in Da Nang. Our first stop was Marble Mountain. We watched some of the local artisans carving statues out of huge pieces of marble at a workshop. Our next stop was at a place where they are making silk cloth the old way by growing the silk worms and weaving the cloth by hand on a loom. Our main destination was Hoi An. We left the van for a walking tour of this old city. Hoi An is a World Cultural Heritage Site. We walked across Dragon Bridge and toured some temples. Hoi An is a wonderful old village. Tommy arranged lunch at a local restaurant. On our way back to the port we stopped for a photo at China Beach. Tommy's price is all inclusive and very reasonable. He kept in touch with me during the time I booked this trip and actually arrived in Viet Nam. He is delightful to work with and I highly recommend his company. Tommy also is very involved with the local children's orphanage in the area and donates a portion of his fees to help support the children. Tommy's contact information is: https://www.facebook.com/tommydaotravel or tommyxuanha@gmail.com. :)

Thanks so much everyone for your recommendations!! I have already arranged a car service with Tommy!!! and as everyone says he is really nice to work with, he answers mails very quickly and gave me several options for what we wanted!!!

We are getting closer to the big day and we can´t hardly wait!!! hope to meet you all onboard!

• 5 months later...

When we visited Hoi An in January, 2015, we booked Tommy Dao Tours because of the outstanding reviews on Trip Advisor. We were delighted that he not only met every expectation but exceeded them all! We booked Tommy to take us to My Son Holyland, the sacred temples of the ancient Cham civilization. Tommy charmed us with his wonderful and informative stories filled with humor and history. He knows the whole area from Hue to Hoi An and south and we would not hesitate to book additional tours. He give a great local Hoi An town tour and we booked him to take us to the train station from our hotel because we wanted to see him once more before we departed Hoi An. He is enthusiastic, informative, trustworthy and we wish him the best. Give Tommy a try; you will be as delighted as we were! tommyxuanha@gmail.com Cellphone: +84-905-044-564

1964008057_TommyDaoTours.jpg.500e148b176365a111375fb629bcf61f.jpg

We had researched through Cruise Critic and other means for a car and driver for out stop in Vietnam. Tommy Tours Hoi An came up along with others. After we contacted several and were able to establish a rapport with Tommy we selected his company to provide us with a tour from the port at Danang. We were met promptly by Tommy who introduced us to his driver jus outside the port gate. Tommy accompanied us for part of the day and rejoined us at various stops. We were very pleased with our experience and found Tommy to be a really nice guy and very cooperative is meeting our needs. I would highly recommend Tommy Tours Hoi An to anyone traveling to that area of the world. Our tour was on January 29, 2015 and were totally pleased. Seeing things like the "White Lady Buddha" up close and personal provided a unique experience. :)

Thanks Tommy from Karl & Rita

We had researched through Cruise Critic and other means for a car and driver for out stop in Vietnam. Tommy Tours Hoi An came up along with others. After we contacted several and were able to establish a rapport with Tommy we selected his company to provide us with a tour from the port at Danang. We were met promptly by Tommy who introduced us to his driver jus outside the port gate. Tommy accompanied us for part of the day and rejoined us at various stops. We were very pleased with our experience and found Tommy to be a really nice guy and very cooperative is meeting our needs. I would highly recommend Tommy Tours Hoi An to anyone traveling to that area of the world. Our tour was on January 29, 2015 and were totally pleased. Seeing things like the "White Lady Buddha" up close and personal provided a unique experience. :)

Thanks Tommy from Karl & Rita

Hello Karl & Rita,

We are so happy you loved your tour with Tommy. I started this topic on Jan 19, 2014 and should have updated it as we finally met Tommy on Jan 23, 2015!!! A year ago, we did a lot of research to find info on drivers in Danang. The only post we found on CC was through Raringtogo. She was right on. On my ship, Tommy had several drivers with a total of 47 cruisers using his services. We can assure you that everyone was totally satisfied. We all went all-inclusive and the lunch was great! My only complaint and a complaint from all the other women on the tour was not having enough time for shopping in Hoi An! The quality/price of the art, clothing, even painting was outstanding...

Great job Tommy! You deserve the praising.:D

The Canadians!

Cashmere Puppy - I did indeed start the first post about Tommy, and I'm so happy to see him getting the recognition he so justly deserves.

About the shopping in HoiAn...... - you will just have to go back to HoiAn and stay there for a while- it's completely different when you actually spend a few days there and you will never get tired of it- at least we haven't - and then you can shop to your heart's content.

for future cruisers who are booking tommy- if you want to fit some shopping in, just mention it to him and he will work around it. He would never want anyone who takes his tours to be disappointed ;)

We are going back in 6 week's time for our 10th trip, and we've already booked tommy for airport pick-ups and tours. I'm looking forward to seeing him again :D

Cashmere Puppy - I did indeed start the first post about Tommy, and I'm so happy to see him getting the recognition he so justly deserves.

About the shopping in HoiAn...... - you will just have to go back to HoiAn and stay there for a while- it's completely different when you actually spend a few days there and you will never get tired of it- at least we haven't - and then you can shop to your heart's content.

for future cruisers who are booking tommy- if you want to fit some shopping in, just mention it to him and he will work around it. He would never want anyone who takes his tours to be disappointed ;)

We are going back in 6 week's time for our 10th trip, and we've already booked tommy for airport pick-ups and tours. I'm looking forward to seeing him again :D

You are right, we will have to go back... But my comment about shopping was just a joke as there is so much to see in only 1 day. Actually, the cruise ships should spend an overnight in DaNang... I can shop anywhere in the world but can not experience the Marble Mountain anywhere in the world!

Thank you again Raringtogo

• 7 months later...

Have just been quoted for similar tour by Tommy & his price is now $125 pp (pick-up outside port) for 2 people. That's very close to cruiseship's price. I have asked twice for the tour to be on the second day of my visit but he keeps quoting for the first day, when I want to do something else.

Have just been quoted for similar tour by Tommy & his price is now $125 pp (pick-up outside port) for 2 people. That's very close to cruiseship's price. I have asked twice for the tour to be on the second day of my visit but he keeps quoting for the first day, when I want to do something else.

Hello Nirmd01,

I understand the price for 2 people is much higher than a group of 12-14 (I believe around $60-70 pp). I would humbly suggest that you organize a group of 12 on your roll call. It's always fun to discover a new place with new friends... As well, it's all-inclusive and the lunch was at a very nice restaurant. I took the liberty to send a photo of your post to Tommy so he can understand he made a mistake when contacting you. Hopefully, he can figure out who you are and will get in touch with you. If not, why don't you email him again and write in the subject box: WRONG DATE. Please, keep in mind that English is not the first language of the majority (if not all) of Vietnamese. I totally understand as my first language is French...

Good luck with your planning and your cruise. You will definitely LOVE Viernam and Da Nang.

The Canadians!:D