Is Berlin Worth 6hrs Driving in Bus?

Kenato

Glad to see people enjoyed the trip to Berlin. My wife and I are also debating whether to take the trip to Berlin as well will be traveling with a 3.5 year old. We have been looking at the SPB tour of Berlin (already booked them in St. Petersburg).

Read thru the boards. I am sure you will not find many, if any reports of private tour companies getting back late and missing the boat. In the highly unlikely event that they do, again most if not all will ensure you reach the next port of call at their expense. From experience of Ship excursions and private tour companies, with the private companies you will save money and have a better tour.

Thanks everyone. I've always had the cruise company message in my brain "...the ship waits for late-running ship excursions, but not private excursions", however your feedback has given me the courage to take a private tour for the first time. Berlin, here I come!

Thanks everyone. I've always had the cruise company message in my brain "...the ship waits for late-running ship excursions, but not private excursions", however your feedback has given me the courage to take a private tour for the first time. Berlin, here I come!

I have always heard the same thing, but after seeing the postings on here and looking at costs, I am looking at doing a private tour company this time.

In Berlin you should try the Currywurst. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currywurst

Yum!! This was one of our favorite foods. Washed down with a lovely bottle of Berliner, of course. :D

We are going to the Baltics next summer and I have the question about Berlin too. We are going with 2 children of 9 and 12, will this long trip to Berlin and back be ok for them?

We did take our children to Berlin. They were 15, 9 and 6 at the time. There is a restroom stop about halfway there, so they can get up and stretch. My kids napped a good bit of the ride, as they were still a bit jet-lagged. Berlin was my 15 year old's favorite stop.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I took the Princess cruise excursion to Berlin a couple of years ago. We were nervous about a private tour because of the possibility of a late return especially since Berlin is so far from port. Had we to do it all over again I would have gone with a private tour. (we did the SPB tour in St Petersburg) There was a lot of time on the bus in Berlin and we were constantly waiting for stragglers - the guide left a lot to be desired as well - more interested in telling us where to buy souvenirs than concentrating on the history.

• 4 weeks later...

been researching this issue... I think it's absolutely "worth" going to Berlin, even if only for a short time. I like the comparison someone made about being in Connecticut and should you spend a few hours in NYC? heck yes!!!! Anyway, from what I understand, doing it with a tour group (not the ship's) is the best way to go because you will see the maximum amount of sites and not waste time trying to figure things out or doing things in the least efficient order. I am leaning towards SPB because they promised there would be a bathroom on the long bus ride. I also read that the train to Berlin is hot and uncomfortable and a bus is the better way to go. at least this is my thinking at the moment...

been researching this issue... I think it's absolutely "worth" going to Berlin, even if only for a short time. I like the comparison someone made about being in Connecticut and should you spend a few hours in NYC? heck yes!!!! Anyway, from what I understand, doing it with a tour group (not the ship's) is the best way to go because you will see the maximum amount of sites and not waste time trying to figure things out or doing things in the least efficient order. I am leaning towards SPB because they promised there would be a bathroom on the long bus ride. I also read that the train to Berlin is hot and uncomfortable and a bus is the better way to go. at least this is my thinking at the moment...

Haha, that was me! I took my own advice and just booked the 'Berlin on your own' option through Celebrity.