Shore Excursions - Panama

Love.II.Cruise

We are looking into Wind Spirit for a Panama Canal Cruise this December, but we do not see many shore excursions. It seems they only have one for Isla De Coiba (why not more) and then several for Quepos. We don't see any for Golfrito, Golfo Dulce, or Bahai Drake. Are these ports typically do it yourself or are we looking to soon?

• 3 weeks later...

Along those same lines, could anyone comment (either thumbs up or thumbs down) on any of the Wind Spirit shore excursions for the Panama Canal voyage? Does anyone have any good ship or private guide experiences they could share...along with guide recommendations?

Thank you ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We are disappointed to learn that after April 2015, the Wind Spirit will no longer be the ship doing this itinerary. I don't think I want to visit Costa Rica on Windstar without the sports platform and all it offers.

We did the Costa Rica itinerary a few years ago (when they did it without the Panama Canal). We loved it so much we wanted a repeat. Oh well. Will be looking at other options now.

Hmmmmm. Wind Spirit and Wind Star are supposed to be identical--unless there is one with sports platform and one without. We've done Costa Rica on Star 2 times, and thoroughly enjoyed it. We've also sailed Spirit.

But I admit I can't say if there is a sports platform on either.

I've sailed both the Wind Spirit (3 times) and Wind Star (2 times) and they both have the sports platform. How frequently they have them open is dependent on itinerary and weather, although they do try to use them as much as possible.

I have to admit that we have never tried the sports platform!!! Every trip we say that we will and I know everyone enjoys it. It just seems like we are either too busy on shore or too tired when we get back. I'm sure we will get to experience it one of these days.

All of the Windstar ships have sports platforms, including the Pride, the Legend and the Breeze. Use of the platforms depends on sea conditions and location of the anchorage. It is never used when docked at a pier. I've used the platforms on all 5 of my Windstar cruises and think they are wonderful.