Novice Flyer- Question re: seat assignments-Help!

OklaCruiserMom

Hello all. I just logged into American Airlines and it seems to show that our seat assignments for the return flight are different than they were when I originally booked the flight and wrote down all the details. We're on opposite sides of the plane and a couple of rows separated. This is not going to work for me! What can we do? Is there a way to see if they will correct this, or what? My kids are not going to be happy about being separated, and I'm not either.

I assume you phoned AA before posting here. What did they say? Aircraft change? Just a miscommunication (assuming your original seat assignment was acknowledged in an e-mail, or itinerary you saved)?

Yes, the original seats were correct. I remembered getting an email from AA about a month ago that the departure time had changed on that return flight, but I didn't notice that the seats had changed also. I called the airline and they said right now there are not 4 together but that could change, so all I can do is check at the ticket counter when I get to the airport, or check before then, but I won't have a way to do that unless I pay to get online the last day of the cruise. Oh well. Guess I'll do what I can and go from there.

Hello all. I just logged into American Airlines and it seems to show that our seat assignments for the return flight are different than they were when I originally booked the flight and wrote down all the details. We're on opposite sides of the plane and a couple of rows separated. This is not going to work for me! What can we do? Is there a way to see if they will correct this, or what? My kids are not going to be happy about being separated, and I'm not either.

Most likely there was a change in aircraft. Keep checking online; other pax may change their seats around which could open up better seating options for you.

Most likely there was a change in aircraft. Keep checking online; other pax may change their seats around which could open up better seating options for you.

Ok, thank you! What, like at least every day? Several times a day, maybe? I'm probably overreacting- maybe the kids won't mind being separated if we can't change anything. It would have just been nice to be able to sit all together and discuss the trip on the way home. I'm not going to give up yet, though. I'll keep checking.

Ok, thank you! What, like at least every day? Several times a day, maybe? I'm probably overreacting- maybe the kids won't mind being separated if we can't change anything. It would have just been nice to be able to sit all together and discuss the trip on the way home. I'm not going to give up yet, though. I'll keep checking.

Maybe you mentioned and I missed it, but how far away is your flight date? If it's within a week or two, I'd check daily. Further out, I'd check every few days. What are the seating arrangements now? i.e. how many of you are there and are all seats separate or do you have 2 together in one area and maybe 2 together elsewhere? You can always swap within the family, so say you and spouse are in 15 A & B, and the kids are assigned to 17 C&D, you can move around so that you sit with one kid and spouse sits with the other. No need to "officially" change your seats to do that.

Maybe you mentioned and I missed it, but how far away is your flight date? If it's within a week or two, I'd check daily. Further out, I'd check every few days. What are the seating arrangements now? i.e. how many of you are there and are all seats separate or do you have 2 together in one area and maybe 2 together elsewhere? You can always swap within the family, so say you and spouse are in 15 A & B, and the kids are assigned to 17 C&D, you can move around so that you sit with one kid and spouse sits with the other. No need to "officially" change your seats to do that.

It's our return flight after our cruise- it's June 3. Two pairs of seats, opposite side of the plane, a couple of rows separated. It's just me and my kids- The girls are 18 and The Boy is 11. One of the girls is really scared of flying, and also doesn't get along super well with The Boy. So if we absolutely have to split up, I'll sit with her, and the other girl will sit w/ him. It would work, but I'd still love to all be in the same or adjacent rows so we could talk about the trip. Sigh!

I would suggest, if all else fails, check with the flight attendant after boarding to see if someone would be willing to exchange seats with you. Sometimes this will work and sometimes not, but it is worth a try if nothing else works. Please don't do it until everyone has boarded, they are much too busy until then.

You may have some luck when you check in at the airport to fly home. Once the seats have been released to airport control, the airline person who checks you in and the gate agent have quite a bit they are able to accomplish.

It would work, but I'd still love to all be in the same or adjacent rows so we could talk about the trip. Sigh!

In reality, it's pretty tough to carry on a conversation with someone who is even 1 row in front of you or behind you. Likewise, chatting across the aisle isn't the easiest thing if there are 4 of you, all trying to be in the same conversation. All things considered, the 2+2 arrangement that you have isn't bad at all.

I would suggest, if all else fails, check with the flight attendant after boarding to see if someone would be willing to exchange seats with you. Sometimes this will work and sometimes not, but it is worth a try if nothing else works. Please don't do it until everyone has boarded, they are much too busy until then.

In my experience, the FA's rarely get involved, especially in a case like this, where 3 of the 4 pax are adults and the minor is already seated next to one of them, not by himself. What they will likely do is tell you tht you are welcome to take it upon yourself to ask other pax if they'd be willing to switch.

In reality, it's pretty tough to carry on a conversation with someone who is even 1 row in front of you or behind you. Likewise, chatting across the aisle isn't the easiest thing if there are 4 of you, all trying to be in the same conversation. All things considered, the 2+2 arrangement that you have isn't bad at all.

Agreed, you'd have to speak loud enough to be talking to someone in front of/behind you or across the aisle that you'd be disruptive to other passengers.

In my experience, the FA's rarely get involved, especially in a case like this, where 3 of the 4 pax are adults and the minor is already seated next to one of them, not by himself. What they will likely do is tell you tht you are welcome to take it upon yourself to ask other pax if they'd be willing to switch.

Agreed again. The FA will tell you to see if other passengers mind moving, but I just don't see the point of bothering. They will not get involved with asking others to move unless it's a family with young children (generally under six or so) split up all over or a child assigned a seat in an exit row where they legally can't sit. But for adults? Unless one is disabled and needs the assistance of a companion for basic needs (fear of flying doesn't count), you'll be on your own.

I would caution that passengers are generally not going to give up good seats to change, you need to offer to take the less desirable seats as an incentive.

Archived