Tourists killed at Bardo Museum in Tunis

We are going to Greece and turkey in August and I'm worried. I'm traveling with my 11 and 13 year old and that's the worry. Am I potentially putting my children in harms way? I don't think we 're going to cancel, but for the first time, I'm weary of traveling overseas

They're more likely to be killed at school by a demented former student than they are to be killed by terrorists in Greece or Turkey. You put your children in harm's way from the day they were born. The only way to avoid death is never to live.

Just keep away from the Syrian border. It's 1,000 miles from Istanbul, so that shouldn't be difficult.

We are doing a Greece and Turkey cruise at the end of May. I booked it over a year ago and have always looked forward to my travels and never felt scared anywhere that I went and I have traveled quite a bit. This is the first time that I have felt afraid. I know that people ridicule me for it but I can't shake it. I am not taking my children although I have previously taken them to England, Ireland, Scotland and France. I feel very badly because I have always loved all my European travels. We have gotten along very well with the people were so kind to us. I have walked all over Europe by myself at 4 in the morning unafraid. It is not any of the countries that I am afraid or the people but having to worry about a suicide bomber coming up to you to blow you up. I know we have gun violence here in America but I live in a forest so I am a bit removed from it. It helps to voice the fear

I too loved New Zealand, Australia and French Polynesia. Beautiful part of the world.

We too have our problems here in New Zealand, Australia, etc, BUT please do not let the few dictate where and when the majority should travel.

Travel is perhaps one of the few true educational experiences.

If no one has said that before, I'll claim it:)

AND

Poverty is relevant, it does not exist if your Government gives you benefits! Get off your arse and look for work instead of a handout!!!!

Sorry, getting away from the main topic,

Paul

Edited by Tickle

I too loved New Zealand, Australia and French Polynesia. Beautiful part of the world.[/quote

Dont you worry about suicide bombers. We had a tragic hunting incident yesterday where someone shot his friend. Group of hunters went.....hunting. One of them was mistakenly shot as a deer. You may live in a forest, it's not that safe:mad:

We too have our problems here in New Zealand, Australia, etc, BUT please do not let the few dictate where and when the majority should travel.

Travel is perhaps one of the few true educational experiences.

If no one has said that before, I'll claim it:)

AND

Poverty is relevant, it does not exist if the your Government gives you benefits! Get off your arse and look for work instead of a handout!!!!

Sorry, getting away from the main topic,

Paul

Well, we have no hunters in this forest as the animals are protected, but you always have to be on the lookout as the deer run in front of you when you are driving and at one time, we had some snakes so you had to be careful where you were walking. We also had a hurricane come through here before. Everywhere has something.

Sad to see about the plane that went down. I am also sorry for those in Tunisia as I am sure that the tour operators there were very dedicated. These terrorists hurt so many lives!

I see there are families on the roll call for the cruise I am considering. Not sure what to think of that. If only they could keep things secure so these terrorists could not win.

I see there are families on the roll call for the cruise I am considering. Not sure what to think of that. If only they could keep things secure so these terrorists could not win.

Not sure what you are saying. Do you really think it is unsafe for families to visit Western Europe? :confused: What about the millions of people who live in Europe now and vacation in their own and other European countries?

I think most of the things you have cited are rumors and distortions of the media and braggadocio on the part of terrorists who would love nothing more than to make you think they are all-powerful and can influence your thinking to such an extent that you are paralyzed to leave home.

Just an observation that this is a cruise that many people are bringing their families to. They must feel safe and unafraid like me which is good. I am aware that there are millions of people in Europe who live there.

I think there are alarmist reporters but then there seem to be so many articles on it and bad senarios. I think it is good to be aware. It is difficult to ascertain what is true and what isn't.

I do not wont to trivialise the German Airline tragedy, it was terrible for friends and family involved.

BUT, are we still going to fly to join our cruise because of some randon act that caused the aircraft to crash? Of course we are!

So why are the cruise lines not going to Tunis?

Just a thought:rolleyes:

Please do not take offence, it's just an observation. It's ironic how we interpret what is safe and what isn't.

I don't take offense at your comments. The more I think about this I see that it is a matter of your own level of comfort in certain situations. My cousin was permanently injured in a terrorist attack and I know at least 40 people who lost loved ones in the terrorist attacks in New York. Statistics for me are meaningless because I know so many killed in attacks. I would not feel comfortable going to Tunisia but also I have only been to New York twice briefly since 9-11 and never to the Twin Towers area and I live within 2 hours of NY. I wouldn't go to Detroit either. I also think that many of the cruise ships go to some places in the Caribbean that I find out of my comfort level, but that is me. If people ever looked at some of the crime statistics there, they would be alarmed. So what is safe to others is not safe to me. I have also been assaulted several times in my lifetime while younger and living in the inner city so I tend to be wary in certain areas.

As far as flying, there are some people who will stop flying because of it. My sister and my father have not flown since 9-11. They think I am crazy when I go further than 5 hours from home by car. Yet they go out and drive in ice storms which I won't do. But the majority of people will fly. There are still tourists going to Tunisia, but not on cruise ships.

I think you are observant to notice what different people find to be safe.

This issue regarding the Terrorists in Tunisia did alarm me for a bit, and also the recent downing of the Germanwings plane.

When I was in my vacation planning stages in November I costed several versions of the trip. All I knew was that I wanted to go to Europe this spring/summer, but I wasn't set on any particular city. I specifically looked at Mediterranean cruises that went to Tunisia because it looked interesting and I thought the roman ruins would be a one once in a lifetime experience to see. Also, I could say I've been to the continent of Africa if I went there.

I also planned out several trips where I would leave from Barcelona or Rome and go to Germany for a few days after before I went home. I was thinking Germany or England. And the plane that was downed was leaving from Barcelona to Dusseldorf. Yikes! Just gave me a wake up call like the Tunisia terror event too.

I actually decided on going to the Eastern Mediterranean with a Venice port, and then I am flying from Venice to London to stay a few days before I head home. I just hope nothing happens in any of the places on my itenerary between now and then. I would've never expected these two events to happen either, so you just never know. I can't say it didn't give me pause.

Edited by ladybird77