Northbound Alaska w/ 85 yr old mom...

EnvroMentl57

Copying and editing previous posts I had put on the “First Time Cruisers” section…hoping to get additional tips (as suggested by 138east) regarding the accessibility issues, as well as oxygen & scooter use:

We are working with a travel agent but I am an internet addict so I generally do all my own vacation planning (HA…I sound like the world traveler that I WISH I could be!) so I am chomping at the bit to get things planned...

My mom is 85 and has always wanted to go to Alaska. She now (by the grace of God) has the finances to do this next summer. Never having been on a cruise, we are very grateful to have found this website & related threads! We are planning to drive from Montana to Seattle/Vancouver and go on a northbound cruise, with some land touring in Denali, etc. We have settled on late June/early July.

My mom has a wheeled walker and oxygen 24/7 so if anybody has experience with these issues while on a cruise, I would love to get tips. She can use the walker for SHORT distances (e.g. in the cabin) but we will need to rent a scooter (or take her push-chair) for shore excursions and getting longer distances on the ship. We have concerns about the scooters and the push chair both, so would love to hear perspectives from both sides of that fence…e.g. shore excursions: getting on & off the ship with either one; ability to access sites via trail (hills, uneven surfaces, etc.) Never having done this before, I have no idea what the excursions "look like". If there is an activity we want to do, we don’t want to have to pass on it because the mode of transportation we picked can’t handle it—whether that’s MY ability to push, or the scooter’s ability to maneuver. And NO, she is absolutely NOT a good driver...scary even in WalMart with the electric carts! Someone suggested this could be a problem on the ship, with lots of people & narrow aisles?

I have already talked to the scooter/oxygen company that we will probably go with (specialneedsatsea.com was wonderful...LOTS of good information & suggestions for us)...the other company I talked to (Advanced Aeromedical) was LESS than helpful and the woman had a major "tude" so they missed out! Supposedly the scooter can be broken down or folded up or something, to make it easier to transport...so I am thinking if we do go with the scooter as opposed to a push-chair, maybe she can walk off the ship (with her walker) and I could transport the scooter until we get to shore...but then will somebody secure the walker while we're gone?

We definitely want a balcony. Haven’t talked to anybody in person with the cruise companies but looking at the floor plans, some of the accessible cabins don’t look very roomy to me…a roll-in shower and lower shelves, etc. are not required in our case, but roominess of the cabin is a must--especially if the weather turns bad and we are cooped up there, we do not want to be on top of each other!

Because of multiple medications my mom is on, she has to use sunscreen and is concerned about mosquitoes (because of the difficulties of using both sunscreen and bug repellent). MY bigger worry is rain...I don't want her "trip of a lifetime" to be ruined by the weather. I have learned through the research I have already done, that there is almost a reverse correlation to levels of mosquitoes and rain potential. We already got some good tips on a combination sunscreen/bug repellent from Avon and I am glad to hear that mosquitoes aren't that big of an issue...we won't be doing any back-woods adventures BUT will be doing lots of shore excursions and the Denali bus tour. I will be doing the photography so will be more "out & about" but she will want to do as much as possible...hence, the scooter.

Mostly I've looked at Princess & Holland, mainly because these were the ones recommended by the travel agent…and even just 2 lines give me WAY too much information, things to think about, decisions to make…so I really don’t want to look at a bunch more and get overwhelmed. I know that, no matter who we go with, it will be an AMAZING vacation so I’d rather try to keep it simple and just get it booked so we can enjoy!

Although I am a couple of decades younger than your mom I use a rollator and scooter to get around. We took the Island Princess southbound after a land tour from Anchorage to Denali and on to Copper River. We loved our trip/cruise. Whichever line you choose, be sure your cruise includes Glacier Bay. I find the handicapped rooms quite spacious but then I stayed in standard cabins for many years before I needed the accessible one. If you mom has any trouble standing for a period of time you do need the accessible cabin as there are more bars in the bath and a shower seat. The accessible cabin also has a door wide enough for the scooter/wheelchair to enter. For the basics, ask for embarkation assistance so she does not have to walk from the terminal to your cabin. If the weather is bad you won't stay in your cabin. You will be in the lounges/library/dining rooms etc. throughout the ship. Can your mom do steps into a bus? If so you have lots of choices for excursions. In Skagway we did the White Pass Railroad which was lift equipped. In Juneau we went on a whale watch excursion that was great fun. Alaska is one of the easiest cruises we have ever been on. I hope you have a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks katisdale...your trip sounds very much like what we are planning, except we are going from Denali to Fairbanks for a couple of days, then flying out from there. We will definitely see Glacier Bay and do the whale watch in Juneau.

Did you have a balcony room and if so, which one? We would love to do the bigger Vista Suite but financially may have to settle for the mini-suite...is there really room to park that darned scooter inside one of those tiny rooms??

Everything the TA has quoted us includes transfers so we don't have to worry about that. Yes, she can do a few steps (slowly).

Thanks again for the help!

Yes, we had an accessible balcony cabin on the caribe deck. We stored the scooter next to the desk and there was enough room to walk around the scooter with my rollator which we also stored in the room. We put the beds in the twin formation which gives move room to motivate around the room. You do travel with lots of extra "stuff" when you have mobility difficulties but it all seems to fit into the room. I can't remember my room number but it was the last accessible room before the bump out toward the rear elevators.

My mom is 85 and has always wanted to go to Alaska. She now (by the grace of God) has the finances to do this next summer. Never having been on a cruise, we are very grateful to have found this website & related threads! We are planning to drive from Montana to Seattle/Vancouver and go on a northbound cruise, with some land touring in Denali, etc. We have settled on late June/early July.

My mom has a wheeled walker and oxygen 24/7 so if anybody has experience with these issues while on a cruise, I would love to get tips. She can use the walker for SHORT distances (e.g. in the cabin) but we will need to rent a scooter (or take her push-chair) for shore excursions and getting longer distances on the ship. We have concerns about the scooters and the push chair both, so would love to hear perspectives from both sides of that fence…e.g. shore excursions: getting on & off the ship with either one; ability to access sites via trail (hills, uneven surfaces, etc.) Never having done this before, I have no idea what the excursions "look like". If there is an activity we want to do, we don’t want to have to pass on it because the mode of transportation we picked can’t handle it—whether that’s MY ability to push, or the scooter’s ability to maneuver. And NO, she is absolutely NOT a good driver...scary even in WalMart with the electric carts! Someone suggested this could be a problem on the ship, with lots of people & narrow aisles?

Scooters are not as easy as they seem. You really need to know what you are doing. If she is not a good driver as you say, I suggest you do a wheelchair. Yes, the cruise will be crowded and she will have to constantly dodge people with the scooter. She could really hurt someone or herself. When getting out of elevators she will need to reverse and the stairs are right behind the elevators. She needs to be very careful driving her scooter out of the elevator and make sure to stop before the stairs. My mom gave me nightmares just thinking of her making a wrong move and going down the stairs with the scooter. :eek: Also, getting on shore excursions with a scooter could be a problem. Most buses/vans don't have lifts for the scooter.

I have already talked to the scooter/oxygen company that we will probably go with (specialneedsatsea.com was wonderful...LOTS of good information & suggestions for us)...the other company I talked to (Advanced Aeromedical) was LESS than helpful and the woman had a major "tude" so they missed out! Supposedly the scooter can be broken down or folded up or something, to make it easier to transport...so I am thinking if we do go with the scooter as opposed to a push-chair, maybe she can walk off the ship (with her walker) and I could transport the scooter until we get to shore...but then will somebody secure the walker while we're gone

We definitely want a balcony. Haven’t talked to anybody in person with the cruise companies but looking at the floor plans, some of the accessible cabins don’t look very roomy to me…a roll-in shower and lower shelves, etc. are not required in our case, but roominess of the cabin is a must--especially if the weather turns bad and we are cooped up there, we do not want to be on top of each other!

Depending on your mom's disability you may want to book a Handicapped room. These rooms are bigger to allow easy access for wheelchairs and walkers. However, you must book early to get one of these cabins as there are so few and even fewer of them are balconies. I have to book at least a year to 9 months prior to get a handicapped cabin.

Because of multiple medications my mom is on, she has to use sunscreen and is concerned about mosquitoes (because of the difficulties of using both sunscreen and bug repellent). MY bigger worry is rain...I don't want her "trip of a lifetime" to be ruined by the weather. I have learned through the research I have already done, that there is almost a reverse correlation to levels of mosquitoes and rain potential. We already got some good tips on a combination sunscreen/bug repellent from Avon and I am glad to hear that mosquitoes aren't that big of an issue...we won't be doing any back-woods adventures BUT will be doing lots of shore excursions and the Denali bus tour. I will be doing the photography so will be more "out & about" but she will want to do as much as possible...hence, the scooter.

I don't recommend taking the scooter on ship shore excursions. The driver may or may not be willing to give your mom extra help. Will there be a place to put the scooter on the tour vehicle? Who is going to get it on and off the tour vehicle? Can your mom get up the steep steps to get on the bus? Also, you must be aware of others on the tour and your mom will not be able to slow down the tour. Again, most vehicles will not have lifts for the scooter. You will be constantly taking it apart getting it out etc. Also, the places you go may not be accessible for a scooter like simple curb cut outs or dirt paths etc. Also, when we went to Alaska in July it rained every single day. You just cant predict rain. Scooter controls can't get wet, you need to bring something to cover it. You may want to book private handicapped excursions. These vehicles will have lifts and extra help and time for your mom.

Mostly I've looked at Princess & Holland, mainly because these were the ones recommended by the travel agent…and even just 2 lines give me WAY too much information, things to think about, decisions to make…so I really don’t want to look at a bunch more and get overwhelmed. I know that, no matter who we go with, it will be an AMAZING vacation so I’d rather try to keep it simple and just get it booked so we can enjoy!

I think Princess or Holland would be just fine for your mom. It is not easy to travel with disabled but it can be done and enjoyed. :D You just really need to do your homework. E-mail tour companies, make sure you tell them of you mom's special needs and she if they will allow her on the tour. Many ship tours simply would not take my mom because of her special needs. I've taken my mom on lots of cruises. She uses a scooter. We never did book ship shore excursions as the vehicles didnt have a place/lift for the scooter. We did try taking her walker when she did walk a little. Even getting the walker in and out of the tour vehicle was a pain. Often my mom just stayed on the tour vehicle as it was a short stop and not worth messing with the walker.

May I also recommend a travel agent that specializes in Handicapped travel. They are different than a normal travel agent. Many normal travel agents don't know the needs of handicapped travel. If you opt not to do that remember, homework, homework, homework!!!!

Have a wonderful cruise.

Archived