Tell me about the Breakaway

jmrothermel

Hello all! I am wondering if I could get some opinions, pictures, thoughts, etc about NCL and the Breakaway. I have almost exclusively sailed on Royal (Diamond Members) but have been on Carnival one time as well. We were originally planning a trip to Disney this fall, but we LOVE cruising and thought "Let's do a cruise instead!" My daughter saw a commercial on TV for NCL, and mentioned she wanted to try it. So why not?! :)

We are looking at doing either 7 nights to Bermuda or 7 nights to the Bahamas. Neither destination particularly interests us, as we have done both. So more it's just to try a new cruise line and ship. We like leaving from the North, but at this point Anthem is a little expensive for my large family.

It will be me, DH, MIL, his aunt, and 5 kids - ages 14, 13, 11, 8, and 5.

So please, tell me all you know! [emoji16]

There are a ton of reviews and pictures available for you already. I suggest you start with this one. Gambee does a great job. I'm sure you'll have more specific questions after you read it. Enjoy.

http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/breakaway-review-2/

Thank you for posting this suggestion. I was chicken to do it and get attacked for it. The site is on overload with posts and pictures. Also, the Search function at the top of this page gives information.

We just disembarked Sunday from the Breakaway. I have nothing but positives to report about this beautiful ship. NCL put much thought into this ship and it shows. The layout is very user friendly for a ship of its size. The crew is incredibly friendly. Great shows, Rock of Ages, my favorite. Glow Party in Spice and Fireworks at Sea. Many, many food and snack options. If you have any specific questions, please ask. SpongeBob is available for the kids and there is a great Teen Club on board for the teenagers.

• 1 month later...

I'm going on the July 5 sailing. I'm not sure how to pack. I've been on cruises before but I need some guidance. We are two single gals. Does it get dressy at night? Are dresses and high heel sandals appropriate or too much?

I'm going on the July 5 sailing. I'm not sure how to pack. I've been on cruises before but I need some guidance. We are two single gals. Does it get dressy at night? Are dresses and high heel sandals appropriate or too much?

Days docked in Bermuda WEAR SHORTS!!! Don't even think of capris or pants lol It is hot hot hot! At night especially party nights girls dress up in their dresses and heels. You will fit in :)

Bring white dresses or anything white for the Glow party.

They also have 70s and 80s theme night party :)

Edited by NauticalSmile

Just off the Breakaway on Sunday (missing it already!) This is our second trip to Bermuda. The first was on RC's Explorer of the Seas two years ago. Though we really like RC, we felt rushed while docked in Bermuda and wanted more time. So we booked the Breakaway for 3 days in port. Even with 3 days, there were still things we didn't get to do. We are determined to go back again and will most likely sail NCL (we purchased 2 future cruise credits because we loved the ship so much).

For a comparison (remember, this is our opinion):

Food was better on RC. It wasn't bad on the Breakaway, just average. We had more high-end food choices on RC. Lobster is no longer served on the Breakaway's main dining room.

Many more restaurant choice on the Breakaway. And loved free-style dining. We could eat when we wanted and where we wanted. There were even many more specialty (for fee) dining rooms, though we didn't eat at any of them.

More activities available on the Breakaway. But missed the bigger theater and comfortable seats in the Explorer (the theater on the Breakaway is tiny and the seats are very uncomfortable - like sitting on an iron bar all night).

Pool area on the Breakaway were very crowded and rarely were there any pool deck chairs available after 8:00 AM. I don't remember this being a big problem on the Explorer.

If you have any specific questions, ask. I'll try to answer if I can.

Edited by bjtravelnews