Anyone Rented a car in St. Maartin? ?'s about parking, tolls, getting around

RecoveryDude

Hi!

Thinking about renting a car for the day when in St. Maartin in October. We want to go to Marigot, Moho Beach, and maybe a few of the overlooks for pictures. Was going to book a tour via Viator.com but just not a fan of being on someone else's schedule, and my Mom, who will be with me, likes to shop and afraid they wont give us enough time, and it's a FIVE HOUR tour, so just think it will be better to just rent a car.

Is it easy to get around?

What about parking by Maho beach?

Parking in Marigot?

Can I use my US Drivers Lic?

Can I reserve in advance online?

Thanks!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

Hi!

Thinking about renting a car for the day when in St. Maartin in October. We want to go to Marigot, Moho Beach, and maybe a few of the overlooks for pictures. Was going to book a tour via Viator.com but just not a fan of being on someone else's schedule, and my Mom, who will be with me, likes to shop and afraid they wont give us enough time, and it's a FIVE HOUR tour, so just think it will be better to just rent a car.

Parking in Marigot?

Thanks!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

Personally, I like the freedom of going off on your own vs a tour, but that's just me. I think you will be glad that you rented a car and did it yourself. I've done that every time I've been there. Yes, you can use your U.S. drivers licence. So International Licence required. You may have to purchase extra car insurance if your home auto insurance doesn't cover you in foreign countries. Ours does not, so we did pay for the insurance but it wasn't all that much in the scheme of things. We have never had any trouble getting around the island. Basically it is one big loop with spokes that you can out out to various areas. Parking at Maho is a breeze. There is special parking right back the bar that over looks the beach with the planes. The parking is free, so just go in (it's well marked) and find a vacant parking spot. Parking in Marigot is a little more hit or miss, but we've usually driven around enough to find parking. As far as an overlook for pictures, if you are going to Marigot, you may want to consider the small hike up to Fort Louis. Parking if free over there as well and you will have a beautiful view of downtown Marigot. Yes, you can book cars online ahead of time but people also book once they get onshore. It's what you are most comfortable with. Have a wonderful trip and enjoy St. Maarten/Martin!

Thanks for the reply - do I need a special drivers lic? Who has the best prices, and more importantly, what companies can I reserve in advance???

Thanks!!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude:)

No special drivers license needed. We used Hertz at the pier. They were great but they are not cheapest for sure. We went that route and were stood up and that's how we discovered Hertz. In high season it is definitely better to book ahead.

Parking in Marigot and Philipsburg can be difficult especially in high season.

No special drivers license needed. We used Hertz at the pier. They were great but they are not cheapest for sure. We went that route and were stood up and that's how we discovered Hertz. In high season it is definitely better to book ahead.

Parking in Marigot and Philipsburg can be difficult especially in high season.

I just booked Hertz for my May 1st cruise- $65 total. Rented a car twice there, real easy.

Funny story about parking in Marigot. Pulled into a lot, told the guy I can't be blocked in. Guess what, blocked in when we wanted to leave. We ended up picking up my car and the one blocking us untill I could drive straight out. Obviously we both had a small car and we didn't have to move it much.

I just booked Hertz for my May 1st cruise- $65 total. Rented a car twice there, real easy.

Funny story about parking in Marigot. Pulled into a lot, told the guy I can't be blocked in. Guess what, blocked in when we wanted to leave. We ended up picking up my car and the one blocking us untill I could drive straight out. Obviously we both had a small car and we didn't have to move it much.

That's quite the memory :)

$65 from Hertz is good. We paid over $90 both times but there were 5 ships in once and 7 the other time so they can charge that much.

$65 for a day cruiser rate is very nice for Hertz, indeed, considering all-in.

Interested in where in Marigot you parked that had a 'guy' to tell that you didn't want to be blocked in.

I'm mostly aware of the big public waterfront parking area by the ferry, and then all the slots along the water headed out of Marigot to the SouthWest.

gary

Hi!

Parking in Marigot?

Thanks!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

Yes, it is easy to get around.

Parking by Maho: We sometimes find parking on the road, and the resort just past Sunset has a huge parking area. There have been intermittent reports of them charging $5 per car, but I haven't seen that recently.

In Marigot, there is a relatively small public parking area near the ferry stop and market, and there is a lot of parking on the road into Marigot from the SouthWest. You might have to walk for 5 minutes or so, but you should be able to find a spot.

US (or any) driver's license is fine, no 'International' anything required.

Yes, you can reserve online through a number of rental agencies. Look around here for other posts.

gary

$65 for a day cruiser rate is very nice for Hertz, indeed, considering all-in.

Interested in where in Marigot you parked that had a 'guy' to tell that you didn't want to be blocked in.

I'm mostly aware of the big public waterfront parking area by the ferry, and then all the slots along the water headed out of Marigot to the SouthWest.

gary

That might be a little tough but I will try to describe it. It was in a parking lot mid town maybe a block from restaurants and the marina.

No special drivers license needed. We used Hertz at the pier. They were great but they are not cheapest for sure. QUOTE]

I like the idea of Hertz, cause at least I have heard of them. They do have a Corolla that I can get for $66, of course I'm thinking of something more "fun" like a Jeep or a Mustang convertible.

In my research, I discovered a company called "Coastal Car Rental" ... and in my correspondence with them, they have told me that they are the ONLY car rental company that's "at the pier" - and that there cars are also "at the pier" - they said that although Hertz has a "counter" at the pier, if we rent from Hertz we will have to take a 20 minute shuttle ride to our actual vehicle.

They are more expensive than Hertz for the same Jeep (tho theirs is a soft top) and they also have the Mustang which Hertz doesn't have. It's worth it to pay more money if the guy is correct that their cars are literally "At the pier" vs Hertz having to take a shuttle - when we only have a few hours in port, every minute counts!

Anyone else rented from Hertz and can confirm this 20 min shuttle ride?

Anyone have any experience with Coastal?

Thanks for any help or experience anyone can share :)

Cheers

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

No special drivers license needed. We used Hertz at the pier. They were great but they are not cheapest for sure. QUOTE]

they have told me that they are the ONLY car rental company that's "at the pier" - and that there cars are also "at the pier" -

they said that although Hertz has a "counter" at the pier, if we rent from Hertz we will have to take a 20 minute shuttle ride to our actual vehicle.

They are more expensive than Hertz for the same Jeep (tho theirs is a soft top) and they also have the Mustang which Hertz doesn't have. It's worth it to pay more money if the guy is correct that their cars are literally "At the pier" vs Hertz having to take a shuttle -

Anyone else rented from Hertz and can confirm this 20 min shuttle ride?

Anyone have any experience with Coastal?

I have never used Coastal but if my memory serves me well their office ( shack) is at the pier.It is next door to Hertz. The Hertz cars are like 5 minutes away.

I have never used Coastal but if my memory serves me well their office ( shack) is at the pier.It is next door to Hertz. The Hertz cars are like 5 minutes away.

Coastal and Hertz are next to each other. Steps away from each other. Unless they recently moved their cars the Hertz cars are kept across the main road which was a 30 second walk from where the rental office is.