Khios

Jen100

• 4 weeks later...

I would not recommend doing this. Khios is a bit complicated island, not so touristic as others, therefore you may have trouble coming back to port in time.

Probably the best idea would be to visit one of the travel agencies located right on the shore line next to the port to see if someone of them can provide you with a car with a driver at least. Mesta is rather a long way from the port, if you try to go by bus you take the risk of not being back on time.

Or take a taxi (but I guess this will cost!) but before you let it go make sure you have one at the spot that will take you back.

You can also ask for taxi from one of the shops or taverns when you are already in Mesta, but when we were there almost everything was closed, although it was June. Who knows why... So, make sure you have a car or a car with the driver and leave the public transportation for more cosmopolitan places

We're visiting in May and I've booked a rental car at the tender/port drop off. I've been talking with someone from the tourism board there and coming up with an itinerary. This shouldn't be a difficult island to navigate around. I've heard the buses aren't reliable time wise.

We rented a car when we visited the island a few years ago. The car rental companies were all by the port (can't remember if we rocked or tendered). We walked into one of the companies without a reservation and I don't think it was very expensive (maybe $50 for the day?).

Driving was fine, we just drove around and explored the island. We went to a few little villages and the beach. In one village the streets where so narrow we almost got wedged in a corner when the road turned!

• 2 months later...

Just back from Chios! Lovely island and renting a car was simple. We rented a new car that fit 4 adults for $25 + $10 for full insurance. Free and plenty of parking all over the island. We went to Nei Moni, a monastery before heading out to Pyrgi and Mesta. Jen are you still going? I see the Royal stops there a couple times this summer. They don't get many cruise ships and the merchant in Pyrgi said it's been a couple years since he saw so many people in the town. I know there isn't alot of info on Chios so I can answer any Q's

Thanks for that. Yes we are going in 3 weeks or so. Do you know anything about the buses there? My husband isn't keen to drive. Which village is more interesting, Mesta or pyrgi?

Mesta was more unique and picturesque. Both are quite small and you don't need a lot of time there. I can't help with the bus however I don't recall seeing any buses on the roads to/from pyrgi or mesta. I can understand the hesitation to drive.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just back from Chios! Lovely island and renting a car was simple. We rented a new car that fit 4 adults for $25 + $10 for full insurance. Free and plenty of parking all over the island. We went to Nei Moni, a monastery before heading out to Pyrgi and Mesta. Jen are you still going? I see the Royal stops there a couple times this summer. They don't get many cruise ships and the merchant in Pyrgi said it's been a couple years since he saw so many people in the town. I know there isn't alot of info on Chios so I can answer any Q's

What was the name of the rental car company? I'm going in July and think this sounds like the way to go!

2241fb3da5c84cce81efac85c361ec0d.jpg

The car was new, he took the time to do a walk around. He explained the insurance scenarios. He was the only one on our trip who asked to see international license which is a requirement in Greece. Even if they don't ask to see you should still have it because it could void insurance claim. We setup a meet time for the drop off near the tender. He was there shortly after we arrived back. He will give a map but it will be nice if you Google maps as well. If want I could put on map where the tender, pickup, driving routes and parking etc for the villages.

Sent from my iPhone

• 2 weeks later...

We are looking for a tour company or taxi service to take us around this island, We are interested Pyrgi for the Xysta and Mesta. Has anyone used a tour company with success? Are there taxis at the port that can be booked as you walk off the ship?

• 1 month later...
2241fb3da5c84cce81efac85c361ec0d.jpg

The car was new, he took the time to do a walk around. He explained the insurance scenarios. He was the only one on our trip who asked to see international license which is a requirement in Greece. Even if they don't ask to see you should still have it because it could void insurance claim. We setup a meet time for the drop off near the tender. He was there shortly after we arrived back. He will give a map but it will be nice if you Google maps as well. If want I could put on map where the tender, pickup, driving routes and parking etc for the villages.

Sent from my iPhone

Thank you so much for this info. I would love your map of the route you took that day. It is exactly what we want to do! Thanks!