Getting a Motorized chair to dock - Port Canaveral -

TNShadyLady

I walk with a cane for short distances, but on my last cruise decided I definitely need to bring my motorized chair next time. Didn't want to rent one since I already own one, but now I'm wondering how we'll get it to the dock.

We drive down and do stay/park/cruise, leaving our vehicle at the hotel while we cruise. But that was without the chair. We are booked with Stylinx for transfer to ship and back to hotel. My question is whether Stylinx can help with the chair, or whether we need to make other arrangements. I guess we could park at the port and unload it there, but if so I need to change our hotel reservation to remove the week of parking.

What is my best course of action? If Stylinx can handle getting the chair to the port and back, that's preferable. I guess I need to call them Monday and find out, but of course this place is so helpful and knowledgeable I know someone will offer a suggestion.

:)

I know nothing about the particular transfer company you mentioned, but I know a lot about the problems of getting a powerchair around.

Be sure you know the weight of the scooter (and your own weight) when you call. If they have a ramp-equipped vehicle you will probably be okay, but if they use a lift you may run into weight limitations. (Since you can walk short distances, if they use a lift and it doesn't have enough capacity for chair AND you, you can probably send the chair up by itself and then ride the lift up without the chair. If they will allow that.)

Also, you might want to compare the cost of parking at the port (presumably your own car has a way to load and unload the powerchair) vs. the cost of parking at the hotel and taking the shuttle/van/whatever to and from the port. If the difference is minimal, you might want to think about just sticking to what you know rather than take a chance on someone bringing a vehicle that can actually transport you and the powerchair to the port and back. (Not that transfer companies EVER send the wrong vehicle, of course ...)

I walk with a cane for short distances, but on my last cruise decided I definitely need to bring my motorized chair next time. Didn't want to rent one since I already own one, but now I'm wondering how we'll get it to the dock.

We drive down and do stay/park/cruise, leaving our vehicle at the hotel while we cruise. But that was without the chair. We are booked with Stylinx for transfer to ship and back to hotel. My question is whether Stylinx can help with the chair, or whether we need to make other arrangements. I guess we could park at the port and unload it there, but if so I need to change our hotel reservation to remove the week of parking.

What is my best course of action? If Stylinx can handle getting the chair to the port and back, that's preferable. I guess I need to call them Monday and find out, but of course this place is so helpful and knowledgeable I know someone will offer a suggestion.

:)

Does your vehicle have a ramp and that you have either HC license plates or a HC Placard ? If so you're better off to drive your own vehicle to the port and park in the cruise port parking lot. Reason being that in the State of Florida vehicles with a ramp park for free .

DISABLED PARKING spaces are available and the fee is waived for vehicles transporting certain persons who have disabilities that:

• Have special equipment, such as ramps, lifts, foot or hand controls for use by a disabled person;
  • Display a Florida Toll Exemption Permit as explained in s. 316.1964, Florida Statutes; and
  • Display a Disabled Veteran (DV) license plate issued under s. 320.084; s. 320.0842; or s. 320.0845, Florida Statutes.

Here's the link for Parking at Port Canaveral :https://www.portcanaveral.com/Cruise/Directions-Parking