Zipline/ Waterfall/Hike

jusk

Does anyone have recommendations for a zipline/waterfall/hike? I've looked at trip advisor, just want some opinions here. We'll be in San Juan for 2 ½ days pre-cruise and would like an adventure. Thanks

Does anyone have recommendations for a zipline/waterfall/hike? I've looked at trip advisor, just want some opinions here. We'll be in San Juan for 2 ½ days pre-cruise and would like an adventure. Thanks

Rent a car for the day and drive to El Yunque rainforest. Plenty of hiking, a couple of waterfalls, then head to the beach, I think there's a couple of privately run ziplines near El Yunque, but not in the forest preserve itself.

Rent a car for the day and drive to El Yunque rainforest. Plenty of hiking, a couple of waterfalls, then head to the beach, I think there's a couple of privately run ziplines near El Yunque, but not in the forest preserve itself.

Might do that, but was really looking for a package that includes hiking up the falls with guides. Will do the beach another day as we'll be there several days. Wondered if anyone had done any of the tours.

No need for guides.

Go to La Mina Falls with the other busloads of people.

Or do a Google search for Juan Diego Falls in El Yunque ... enjoy this series of waterfalls alone.

Are these falls you climb, or just climb to? I thought I wanted to do a tour thing with guides and ropes and help???? Since I"m getting no feedback on that, maybe it's more than what I think. Great reviews on Trip Advisor, but do y'all think it's all over rated? Maybe hiking the falls on our own would be best. ??

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any other way to get to El Yunque without driving yourself? Know any drivers to hire or just a touring company to just get us there and back?

• 2 weeks later...

There are no "climb waterfalls with ropes and guides" tours in El Yunque National Forest. There are tours like that, typically full-day excursions, in and around other forests, rivers, and falls around the island, offered by numerous companies.

Since I live here, CC rules don't permit me to name companies nor tour guides.

Google some combination of "puerto rico river trekking waterfall rappel" and you'll find info.

If you want to rappel down to the river or any of the falls, El Yunque might not be the place you're looking for. You might try looking for companies that specialize in this type of adventures. Most of them do them on the central mountain areas of the island. Since El Yunque is part of the US National Parks Service, third party tours and guides have to go through some processes and extra scrutiny from park administration. Buses and guides need special permits to even get beyond a certain place inside the forest which is why regular taxis are not allowed and some hired tours take people to parts of el Yunque NOT under NPS jurisdiction. That said, you don't need a guide to "hike" to the falls. One of them lies right besides the road (La Coca) while others you walk down concrete, paved or gravel paths to reach (most famous is la Mina). There are two trails to la Mina: a longer one which is about 45 mins. each way on easy to moderate walking (the Big Tree path) and a shorter one that is all downhill going to the fall but all uphill with lots of steps that will seriously drain you if you're not in half way decent shape. Walk time will vary depending on the time you take for breaks coming up.

Not many (not to say extremely few) companies offer hiking/zip line combos that I know of. There are one or two with facilities on the forest itself but not on the NPS area and you might be able to combine that with a trip to the falls. The Juan Domingo falls are mostly frequented by locals and a few tour companies but are in no way as crowded as the ones inside NPS protection when ships are in town. If going during the weekend, summer has no "off" days with a good combination of locals and tourists. Winter time water is cold and locals don't really flock en masse like summer.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted you to know we did the zip line on PR and were very disappointed.

Now mind you safety was their number one concern and they were very observant and kept their standards very high. This was not the concern.

The problem was that the workers were not very friendly, minimal interaction with guests, and always were reverting back to speaking in Spanish and I wondered what they were saying when they would chuckle from time to time.

When we did the zip line in Jamaica, we had the time of our lives, the workers treated us and interacted with us to the hilt as well as keeping safety in mind.

We love this excursion and plan on doing it again in August.

It seems they were just going thru the motions for a paycheck in PR.

Oh well at least I can say we did it.

But will not again.

Just wanted you to know we did the zip line on PR and were very disappointed.

Now mind you safety was their number one concern and they were very observant and kept their standards very high. This was not the concern.

The problem was that the workers were not very friendly, minimal interaction with guests, and always were reverting back to speaking in Spanish and I wondered what they were saying when they would chuckle from time to time.

When we did the zip line in Jamaica, we had the time of our lives, the workers treated us and interacted with us to the hilt as well as keeping safety in mind.

We love this excursion and plan on doing it again in August.

It seems they were just going thru the motions for a paycheck in PR.

Oh well at least I can say we did it.

But will not again.

Interesting.....can you say what company you used? I've read some great things on Trip Advisor about how wonderful the guides were. Maybe because I've mainly looked at the tours that include zip lining, hiking and waterfall climbs. Perhaps spending all day with them makes a difference??? Thanks for you input. I appreciate all the comments I get.

Interesting.....can you say what company you used? I've read some great things on Trip Advisor about how wonderful the guides were. Maybe because I've mainly looked at the tours that include zip lining, hiking and waterfall climbs. Perhaps spending all day with them makes a difference??? Thanks for you input. I appreciate all the comments I get.

We did the tour offered by RCI.

It was only a zip line and took up the mountain to a entrance to the national park (got our zip lining gear) where we boarded cable cars to the bird santuary.

Then we started the tour.

I will look for the name of the company.

Later

Might do that, but was really looking for a package that includes hiking up the falls with guides. Will do the beach another day as we'll be there several days. Wondered if anyone had done any of the tours.

I just let someone else know about the Rainforest in another thread and saw a new tour that was put up by a company i have used in the past. Here is the link https://puertoricocruiseexcursions.com/excursion/san-juan-canopy-zip-line-excursion/

They do a Zipline combo tour beach or rainforest. I did rainforest and Loquilo beach. Wish this was available when i was there last.