Clothing for December cruise from UK

jonjo69

Yes, I'm used to the packing only a third of what I believe I'll need.

However, I'll be leaving Southampton in mid-December and heading for the Caribbean; 24 days all told. I'll therefore likely go from near freezing and raining to sunny in the low 80s.

Anyone got any advice as to what to pack? First stop is the Azores which is going to be chilly that time of year.

Cheers,

Jonjo

As long as you aren't flying, what does it matter if you take stuff you don't need? Take two suitcases, a big one and a middle-sized one, and use the middle-sized one for the winter gear. It can live under your bed once you reach warmer waters.

If you're flying home, wear the heavy stuff so it doesn't count in your weight allowance and so you won't freeze to death before you get home.

Are you on one of the round trips from Southampton to the Caribbean and back? Then- think 2 wardrobes for on deck, but don't worry about how much you carry on....after all, some on the world cruises take at least a dozen suitcases on board!

The ship will be fully air conditioned, so that won't make a difference, to what you wear inside; and if this is a P&O cruise, then there's free launderettes on board, so pop a few washing tablets in your case, and head to the washing machines every week or so.

Have a great time...we're looking at the same itineraries at the moment. ;)

Food for thought... Did a Panama Canal trip a couple years ago and debarked in Miami on January 3 to 32 degrees (brrrrr darn cold) yes bright blue and sunny but it was COLD!

Layers is the way to go...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry, yeah round trip 24 days. Southampton - Azores - Caribbean - Azores - Southampton.

Layering's a good idea. I know there's no luggage limit, but there is a weight limit of 20kg per bag I believe, which is about 12kg less than a plane. As I also have a reasonably small car, carrying everything but the kitchen sink would be a challange.

The other question I suppose would be, if you can get to all parts of the ship without going on deck; which in bad weather might require a saltwater proof light jacket of some sort.

Layering's a good idea. I know there's no luggage limit, but there is a weight limit of 20kg per bag I believe, which is about 12kg less than a plane. As I also have a reasonably small car, carrying everything but the kitchen sink would be a challange.

The other question I suppose would be, if you can get to all parts of the ship without going on deck; which in bad weather might require a saltwater proof light jacket of some sort.

20kg per bag is the same as most planes, but you do sometimes get 22kg or even 25kg. Never 32kg, which would be just over 5 stone or 70 pounds. 50lb (22kg) is the traditional plane limit.

Layering just means if it's cold, you put more clothes on. As advice goes, at least to a Briton, it seems pretty redundant - I'm sure there are parts of the world where they only wear one item of clothing and won't go above that, but not here. Not with our weather.

I've never known a ship where you needed to go outdoors to get from one indoor place to another. You might need to go down a deck or two before going forward or aft, but you won't need to go out on deck.

I've never known a ship where you needed to go outdoors to get from one indoor place to another. You might need to go down a deck or two before going forward or aft, but you won't need to go out on deck.

2009 we went to Alaska on RCI Radiance and the late night "snack bar", you had to go outside to reach it. Cold, sometimes wet and in tux, but we survived.

20kg per bag is the same as most planes, but you do sometimes get 22kg or even 25kg. Never 32kg, which would be just over 5 stone or 70 pounds. 50lb (22kg) is the traditional plane limit.

I think we may be talking about different things. When I went to Dubai in June, my baggage allowance was 50kg. Business was 35kg I think and economy 20 something. However, the airports have a single item baggage handlng allowance for health and safety of staff and it's this number I mean when I say 32kg and why I felt 20kg was low.

2009 we went to Alaska on RCI Radiance and the late night "snack bar", you had to go outside to reach it. Cold, sometimes wet and in tux, but we survived.

As this is my first cruise apart from the IOW ferry 20 years ago, my experiences of cruise ships has either been Carry on Cruising or reading the likes of P.G. Wodehouse. As such I probably have an old fashioned view of cruise ship where it was as much about the aesthetic from the outside as it was from the inside, whereas now, many of the cruise ships look like container ships with windows .... but I stray.

I think the baggage weight is partly because the suitcases are moved from the hold to your cabin by the stewards, some of whom are slightly built women, and so it's easier for two smaller suitcases to be handled than one massive one.

Have a wonderful time- I've not been on Oriana, but she's supposed to be a more traditional ship. :)

I think the baggage weight is partly because the suitcases are moved from the hold to your cabin by the stewards, some of whom are slightly built women, and so it's easier for two smaller suitcases to be handled than one massive one.

Have a wonderful time- I've not been on Oriana, but she's supposed to be a more traditional ship. :)

I think you're probably right about the baggage.

The Oriana while a bit long in the tooth (like me) does possess a more classic look to her (unlike me) as if the designer wasn't from Maersk as most of the current ones seem to be.

As for clothing, I've noticed that the golfing fraternity have light waterproofs; which sorta makes sense now I think about it. Not exactly snazzy, but bad weather clothes seldom are.