Better for Alhambra: Almeria or Malaga?

JVNYC

Good day all. I will be stopping in both Almeria and Malaga and was wondering which stop would be better to visit the Alhambra.

If I do the Alhambra from Almeria, what would you recommend for Malaga? Stay in Malaga? Cordoba? Mijas? Nerja? Marbella?

There are some great options. I've never been to either place so appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks.

Edited by JVNYC

Not knowing the exact sailing makes this a little harder to answer.

I guess the deduction process must include the time in port. As both journeys to the Alhambra are extensive, with Almeria being about 30 kilometers further, you are looking at travel time of at least 2 hours from Malaga port and around 2 hours 15 minutes from Almeria.

I would most likely choose Almeria, due to the lack of other activities. While charming in it's own right, there is much more available to do from Malaga.

While I have a house in Marbella and have enjoyed that destination for many years, it is really a 'lifestyle' city and not for everyone's taste. While the city has a small traditional core that is wonderful and a very nice seaside promenade it is not exceptional. Puerto Banus is a meeting point of the 'jet-set' and while one will see a lot of luxury cars and fantastic yachts and very high end shops, again, it is not a must see.

I am actually a proponent of just staying in Malaga for the day, but again many tourists feel they must see much more on a stop here. I have traveled Spain extensively for 30 years and have still not seen everything.

Cordoba is actually easily reached from Malaga with the frequent high-speed trains and is always an option. Again the issue here becomes time management and cost. You have to get to the Malaga train station for the one hour trip. You then have some distance to cover in Cordoba to get to the 'sights'

While I do sometimes stop at Mijas Pueblo if I pick someone up at the airport and the small village is charming, it is also a bit of a tourist trap. Mijas coast is nice and 'overbuilt' and while quite ok, it does not carry and 'wow' value.

Not knowing the exact sailing makes this a little harder to answer.

I guess the deduction process must include the time in port. As both journeys to the Alhambra are extensive, with Almeria being about 30 kilometers further, you are looking at travel time of at least 2 hours from Malaga port and around 2 hours 15 minutes from Almeria.

I would most likely choose Almeria, due to the lack of other activities. While charming in it's own right, there is much more available to do from Malaga.

While I have a house in Marbella and have enjoyed that destination for many years, it is really a 'lifestyle' city and not for everyone's taste. While the city has a small traditional core that is wonderful and a very nice seaside promenade it is not exceptional. Puerto Banus is a meeting point of the 'jet-set' and while one will see a lot of luxury cars and fantastic yachts and very high end shops, again, it is not a must see.

I am actually a proponent of just staying in Malaga for the day, but again many tourists feel they must see much more on a stop here. I have traveled Spain extensively for 30 years and have still not seen everything.

Cordoba is actually easily reached from Malaga with the frequent high-speed trains and is always an option. Again the issue here becomes time management and cost. You have to get to the Malaga train station for the one hour trip. You then have some distance to cover in Cordoba to get to the 'sights'

While I do sometimes stop at Mijas Pueblo if I pick someone up at the airport and the small village is charming, it is also a bit of a tourist trap. Mijas coast is nice and 'overbuilt' and while quite ok, it does not carry and 'wow' value.

Thanks MADflyer....great info! This sailing is next year on the Oceania Riviera (July, 2016 17 night....yeah, I'm planning already...haha). I'm definitely leaning towards visiting the Alhambra from Almeria. You're right, I'm not seeing much else by way of excursions in Almeria. Malaga on the other hand, there is so much more to see and do. I like the idea of Cordoba, but not thrilled with a very long travel time in both directions. Malaga itself looks very appealing, as does Marbella. I definitely like to hear opinions and experiences in this area as I've never been.

I really appreciate your info!

Edited by JVNYC

That 17 night sailing is one of the best comprehensive sailings I have seen, taking in the best that the Mediterranean has to offer, with a touch of Morocco. You will really enjoy that overnight in Lisbon as well.

The coastal cities have gotten great 'upgrades' in Spain over the past 20 years and no matter what you decide to do you will have a great experience. I am even a big fan of staying in Cadiz, while most opt for an excursion to Seville.

Malaga has improved substantially in recent years.

I think the fact that you have stops at Almeria and Malaga and with the time restrictions being the same, it seems very wise to do that excursion from Almeria.

• 2 years later...

Just wondering if you did the Alhambra from Almeria and was it with Oceania or an independent excursion? How was it time wise? Any suggestions? We will be on Oceania in November 2017 with stops in Malaga & Almeria.

Please email me with suggestions or advice! Bernadine Daniell, bjdaniell at gmail dot com

Thanks MADflyer....great info! This sailing is next year on the Oceania Riviera (July, 2016 17 night....yeah, I'm planning already...haha). I'm definitely leaning towards visiting the Alhambra from Almeria. You're right, I'm not seeing much else by way of excursions in Almeria. Malaga on the other hand, there is so much more to see and do. I like the idea of Cordoba, but not thrilled with a very long travel time in both directions. Malaga itself looks very appealing, as does Marbella. I definitely like to hear opinions and experiences in this area as I've never been.

I really appreciate your info!