Embera Tours Panama or Embera Village Tours

Bluemoon319

I have looked into both of these and they both sound good. I have seen some positive things here on CC about Embera Village Tours, but I also like the idea of having a guide who is Emberan and also has a degree in natural resources. I haven't seen any reviews of Garceth's tours though. I would love to hear input from anyone who has done a tour with him as well as with Anne Gordon's. Thanks bunches. :)

Anne Gordon is married to an Embera guy from Embera Puru, and they go to visit his village. You'll meet her inlaws. What could be better? I think if you work your way through this thread you'll find lots of comments from people who've taken the tour through Anne. REgards, Richard

Anne Gordon is married to an Embera guy from Embera Puru, and they go to visit his village. You'll meet her inlaws. What could be better? I think if you work your way through this thread you'll find lots of comments from people who've taken the tour through Anne. REgards, Richard

Thanks Richard. Yes, I really like what I have seen about visiting a village with Anne and I am likely to book with her. I am just hoping to get some input on Garceth's tour as well so I can have something to compare. Also really hoping to see some pics. I'm bit leery about Garceth's though because I know he goes to a village further out. I'll be going in March (arriving in Colon) which I understand is near the end of the dry season so I'm a bit worried about the time factor. I've read that it takes a lot longer to go down river at this time.

I will be in port 7AM - 5PM local time. If I go with Anne, do you know if there will be time to go see the locks, even for only 10-15 mins.? I don't really have much of an interest in them, but feel like it would be such a shame to be so close & not at least get a peek at the canal since I'm not likely to have the chance to be that way again.

Richard, thanks for your website. I have really enjoyed reading it. :)

Thanks Richard. Yes, I really like what I have seen about visiting a village with Anne and I am likely to book with her. I am just hoping to get some input on Garceth's tour as well so I can have something to compare. Also really hoping to see some pics. I'm bit leery about Garceth's though because I know he goes to a village further out. I'll be going in March (arriving in Colon) which I understand is near the end of the dry season so I'm a bit worried about the time factor. I've read that it takes a lot longer to go down river at this time.

I will be in port 7AM - 5PM local time. If I go with Anne, do you know if there will be time to go see the locks, even for only 10-15 mins.? I don't really have much of an interest in them, but feel like it would be such a shame to be so close & not at least get a peek at the canal since I'm not likely to have the chance to be that way again.

Richard, thanks for your website. I have really enjoyed reading it.

Bluemoon, Thanks for the compliment! If the river is too low the tours adjust and go to villages closer in. The rivers feed Madden Lake which is used when the Canal needs additional water to operate, so, when needed the Canal can pull off several feet of water during the night. In Panama you always need a "Plan B" and the tour operators all have alternate plans ... for everything! Both Anne's tour and I suspect Garceth's go to villages further out, and really take up most of the day. If there is time for a quick stop at the Canal is a question for the tour operators. Regards, Richard

• 2 weeks later...
Bluemoon, Thanks for the compliment! If the river is too low the tours adjust and go to villages closer in. The rivers feed Madden Lake which is used when the Canal needs additional water to operate, so, when needed the Canal can pull off several feet of water during the night. In Panama you always need a "Plan B" and the tour operators all have alternate plans ... for everything! Both Anne's tour and I suspect Garceth's go to villages further out, and really take up most of the day. If there is time for a quick stop at the Canal is a question for the tour operators. Regards, Richard

Thanks so much Richard.

• 1 month later...

Have recently booked the Zuiderdam for arrival in Gatun Lake on Jan 8. Very interested in the Authentic Embera Native Village to Colon tour.

Dry vs. wet season has been mentioned in these blogs. Will there still be enough water on the Chagres River to use the dugout canoes at that time?

The ship description indicates that only a snack will be served, but I have read on some blogs that it is more like a meal with fish, fruit, etc. Should I take granola bars just in case?

How primitive are the restroom facilities? My husband is concerned about his going because of that issue. It mentions "latrines" in the ship's description. Does that mean I need to practice my "hole in the floor" technique I used in China?:)

I only wish I could take an independent tour, but guess I can't on this day, and save my "independent" tours for the other ports. But this last minute booking thanks to my husband who wants to go someplace warm, doesn't allow me to do much research, anyway!

Thank you for your help. This website is awesome.

Have recently booked the Zuiderdam for arrival in Gatun Lake on Jan 8. Very interested in the Authentic Embera Native Village to Colon tour.

Dry vs. wet season has been mentioned in these blogs. Will there still be enough water on the Chagres River to use the dugout canoes at that time?

The Dry Season begins officially in late December, so you will be in the Dry Season "officially"... so there shouldn't be any issues with not enough water then. Just a reminder, it can rain in the Dry Season as well, so may wish to bring along a poncho or something that folds up small particularly when you are in the cayuco (dugout canoe) as they are open boats.

The ship description indicates that only a snack will be served, but I have read on some blogs that it is more like a meal with fish, fruit, etc. Should I take granola bars just in case? Quite often fried fish, fried plantain or possibly fried yucca are served along with fresh fruit. The portions I have seen are more to give you a sampling rather than a complete meal, so a couple of granola bars may not be a bad idea.

How primitive are the restroom facilities? My husband is concerned about his going because of that issue. It mentions "latrines" in the ship's description. Does that mean I need to practice my "hole in the floor" technique I used in China?:) There are several villages that can be visited, so I really don't know how modern the facilities are in all of them, but the ones the cruise ship use are "usually" a little more modern.

I only wish I could take an independent tour, but guess I can't on this day, and save my "independent" tours for the other ports. But this last minute booking thanks to my husband who wants to go someplace warm, doesn't allow me to do much research, anyway!

Thank you for your help. This website is awesome.

Answers in red.

Thanks Bill. Richard said you could answer everything!!!

Thanks again for your help. Have been to all 7 continents, but never to these ports, except Curacao and Aruba (fly in and fly out only) I can help anyone on the European boards, but not here!

The Roll Call is very quiet on this date. Not like I'm used to. Seems to be some new cruisers to CC and they are perhaps intimidated to book outside the ship's tours. Who knows!

I'm booking the Embera tour tonight.

The granola bars are handy.

The poncho always goes!

I'll wave to you on our drive to Ft. Lauderdale and on the way back home!

Rena

• 1 year later...

Go with Garceth!

I just came off the Azamara Journey and on of our Cruise critic friends, Saltair, had arranged a trip with Garceth to the Embera indian village. We were a group of 8 off the Journey who were met by Garceth and driven for about an hour to the landing spot where the Embera canoe drivers were meeting us. We rode in the dug out canoe for about an hour and I thought that the trip up the river itself was worth the price of admission!

We were met with music playing as we entered the village. We had lunch that consisted of fried fish and plantains and fruit. Then we saw the beautiful handicrafts that the villagers had made. We ended up buying a gorgeous basket with a lid and a necklace, but wished that we had brought more money to buy some of the exquisite wood work as well.

We were treated to music and dancing, and DH and I actually were invited to dance by a couple of children. It was so nice and peaceful.

Garceth is a fantastic guide. When we asked him, he shared his life story. He prepared us about entering the village the whole way there.

Garceth is Embera indian himself and speaks both Embera, Spanish and excellent English as he studied at Oregon State for 2 years living with a host family.

The visit to the Embera village was the highlight of our Panama Canal Cruise. Thanks so much to Saltair for arranging it.

Because we were "forced" into using the ship's excursions on that day or we would not be allowed to disembark, I chose the Embera Indian Village. Garceth was our guide on the bus and how you described it is perfect. It was the highlight of the cruise. Garceth's story is incredible. The entire day was fantastic.

One warning: I had put on so much tan lotion as I was going to in the sun so much that day. The water splashed so much into my eyes and the lotion seeped into my eyes and burned. I had to keep them closed until I got there. But I enjoyed the way back. Our canoe guide didn't talk like others said theirs did. There was a shelter so we could get in out of the sun, so I didn't need to be so cautious.

They allow one to stop at very primitive toilets just before you get on the canoe. I didn't see any at the site.

The simple lunch was delightful. Plantain and fried fish in banana leaf wraps. They also gave us a drink of soda when we arrived. Take a bottle of water with you.

Go with Garceth!

I just came off the Azamara Journey and on of our Cruise critic friends, Saltair, had arranged a trip with Garceth to the Embera indian village. We were a group of 8 off the Journey who were met by Garceth and driven for about an hour to the landing spot where the Embera canoe drivers were meeting us. We rode in the dug out canoe for about an hour and I thought that the trip up the river itself was worth the price of admission!

We were met with music playing as we entered the village. We had lunch that consisted of fried fish and plantains and fruit. Then we saw the beautiful handicrafts that the villagers had made. We ended up buying a gorgeous basket with a lid and a necklace, but wished that we had brought more money to buy some of the exquisite wood work as well.

We were treated to music and dancing, and DH and I actually were invited to dance by a couple of children. It was so nice and peaceful.

Garceth is a fantastic guide. When we asked him, he shared his life story. He prepared us about entering the village the whole way there.

Garceth is Embera indian himself and speaks both Embera, Spanish and excellent English as he studied at Oregon State for 2 years living with a host family.

The visit to the Embera village was the highlight of our Panama Canal Cruise. Thanks so much to Saltair for arranging it.

A couple of questions. The tour is listed as strenuous on the HA booking site. Did you consider it strenuous? I have never rode in a canoe, can only swim a little, not proficient. Would you ride in this canoe if you didn't trust your swimming ability? Sounds like a wonderful trip. Thanks!

We were on the Holland American Zuiderdam at the time. I don't understand strenuous as a description. We got into the canoe with their help. They are dug out canoes but they are engine propelled. They are wide with with sometimes two to a seat, but not always. We all wore life jackets. I'm no spring chicken but made it fine. Once we got to the village, we walked up a small incline as they welcomed us. On your "free time" you can walk up to the school (which was closed when we were there---on break.) That is a little incline and not smooth, but it is pretty easy. Wear shoes with good grip. I wore shorts and shirt--in the first part of January and I was comfortable. Takes less time to dry out, too. Some of the canoes didn't get wet. Perhaps it was my canoe was the last one to leave and we had to catch up.

I have ridden in canoes before, biting my fingernails all the time because they were so narrow and afraid they would tip. These have wide bottoms and not the fear of that at all. They literally took large trees and dug them out.I can tread water, but don't feel proficient in the water at all.

If you don't have a water safe camera, have it in a plastic bag on the way out, just in case. I really think our canoe was the splashy one! You will dry quickly in the sun.

Maybe I am paranoid, but I always travel with an old toothbrush. I don't like walking into my cabin after having been to a place with all the dirt. So use the toothbrush to clean my shoes. Has come in handy many times!

We usually don't do the "guided tours" and instead find private guides through this website. But our hands were tied on this one. On all the other ports, I booked individual guides and joined with others through this website. It was a great trip. Highly recommended.

Take some money. I'm not a great souvenir shopper, but I did buy a small rosewood carving and 3 necklaces. Take pictures with the artists for your memories. What money I had left, I put in the basket for the school children.

Great day

A couple of questions. The tour is listed as strenuous on the HA booking site. Did you consider it strenuous? I have never rode in a canoe, can only swim a little, not proficient. Would you ride in this canoe if you didn't trust your swimming ability? Sounds like a wonderful trip. Thanks!

I would not call it strenuous. But you have to be able to climb into a canoe, sit on a little wooden bench in the canoe, exit the canoe and walk up a river bank. Our tour was not through any cruise, we privately scheduled it with Garceth. We stored our bags in one of the buildings. The way to get there was an attached ladder.

I think the reason HAL lists it as strenuous is that you cannot do this if you cannot walk well. If you need a wheel chair or even a cane, i think it would be exceedingly difficult. A few years ago I had a broken foot with a "boot", and it would have been difficult to do this excursion with the boot. I found getting in the tender with the boot very difficult.

Never worried about the boat ride, but I like to swim. My life jacket was very loose, but I think I would have been able to tighten it.

One of our friends in the trip said, "if you see crocodiles, don't tell me." We did not see any crocodiles.😳

But it is not an aerobics class, so not strenuous in that way.LOL