Conflicting information about rental cars at Jacksonville airport

Grandmaanne7

We are using rental cars prior to and after our Fascination cruise in June. We are getting conflicting information about rental car facilities at the airport.

First of all, I am assuming that the airport is the closest place to Jaxport to access rental cars. Am I correct?

Secondly, how convenient are the rental car outlets? Our plan is for DH to drop us and the luggage at the ship and return the rental car. He is then taking a Carnival shuttle from the airport to the ship. On arrival back in Jacksonville, he will then take the Carnival shuttle to the airport, pick up the rental car and drive to pick us and the luggage up. Is this the right decision?

Thanks for any help.

I have not cruised out of JAX (but we will get there! :cool:) but am familiar with the airport and area.

The ride from the JAX airport to the port takes 15-20 minutes depending upon traffic and should cost about $30 in a taxi - not sure what Carnival is charging for their shuttle, but your spouse might be waiting a long time for that bus to fill while you are stuck waiting at the port. :( Post cruise you might be better off if all of you piled into the cab to pick up the rental.

Hopefully a local can offer advice about alternative rental car locations that might be closer to the port and maybe will offer free shuttle service.

Thanks John. The shuttle is $21 from Carnival which I knew would be less than a cab. I hadn't thought about the length of time he might be waiting. Will they allow us to check in without him if we each had separate documentation? That way, at least we could just get on the ship and have lunch while we wait for him. Good suggestion for the return.

Will they allow us to check in without him if we each had separate documentation? That way, at least we could just get on the ship and have lunch while we wait for him.

I would check with Carnival or on the Carnival board for the check-in question. Waiting on the ship with lunch and a DOD sounds much better than standing in the parking lot! ;)