Carry-on luggage in Heathrow

CLOU

Although this is not a cruise issue, per se, I am a frequent cruiser on Regent and thought I would pass on a recent experience in Heathrow. We were travelling to Scotland, connecting through Heathrow, and had only carry on luggage. However, while we were connecting in Heathrow, it was pointed out that our 22" roller bag, which is accetable as carry-on for most US airlines, was not acceptable in Heathrow and we had to check it. A bit of an inconvenience, and luckily our valuables were in the other carry-on, that was permitted. Somthiing to be aware of if connecting through Heathrow.

We were transferring via Heathrow right after the bomb scare several months ago and NO carry-on was allowed - you couldn't even carry a phone or small camera in your pocket.

Restrictions were modified last November and ONE carry-on is now allowed

ALL UK airports limit the carry on cases. The size allowed must not exceed 22" X 18" X 10". These regs have been in force since 11th Oct 2006. The weight restriction has now been relaxed and is now much more flexible.

Personally I welcomed these regs as it has made sure the overhead stowage is available to all passengers. If the luggage wont fit the guide at the checkin, it goes in the hold.

Jimmy

The UK government (I blush to admit I am British!) has been all screwed up over carry on luggage. For some time since last summer, only ONE carry on per person was allowed. (That means if you are a woman, only your handbag. Your roller carry on had to be checked or the hand bag put inside it). Recently, since early January, many UK airports allow TWO carry ons - ie ladies handbag (purse in American!) and one other. However, here is the screw up - not ALL the airports in the UK have the same policy, so you have to check (a) with your airline and (b) with the airport!! What a mess!

And today (27 March) Terminal 5 opened at Heathrow and the baggage system got totally fouled up. (just like the "new" Denver airport in the early 90's) So today at Heathrow NO CHECKED baggage was allowed. Carry ons were OK. How long will this last? Better ask BA or the Airport Authority...if they are like Denver it will take a while.

:(

Restrictions were modified last November and ONE carry-on is now allowed
Recently, since early January, many UK airports allow TWO carry ons - ie ladies handbag (purse in American!) and one other. However, here is the screw up - not ALL the airports in the UK have the same policy, so you have to check (a) with your airline and (b) with the airport!!
Actually, if you're travelling through an airport where the one-bag limit has been removed, then as far as the airport is concerned you can now take as many carry-ons as you like through the security checkpoint, provided that each of them is within the size limit.

But most airlines will limit you to two carry-on pieces, and some airlines continue (as they always have done) to limit you to one.

So today at Heathrow NO CHECKED baggage was allowed.
Actually, so as not to scare everyone travelling through Heathrow, it was only at Terminal 5 that there was eventually no checking of luggage. The other terminals were operating normally yesterday, and as far as I could see, with no real delays.

Actually, if you're travelling through an airport where the one-bag limit has been removed, then as far as the airport is concerned you can now take as many carry-ons as you like through the security checkpoint, provided that each of them is within the size limit.

But most airlines will limit you to two carry-on pieces, and some airlines continue (as they always have done) to limit you to one.Actually, so as not to scare everyone travelling through Heathrow, it was only at Terminal 5 that there was eventually no checking of luggage. The other terminals were operating normally yesterday, and as far as I could see, with no real delays.

Hi Globaliser... it's me again! does that mean (if I read your post accurately) if EDI to LHR / on BA has relaxed its "one bag, size acceptable , carry-on" per person rule , we could take " 2 size acceptable, carry-ons per person" now?

Just thinking ahead in case the hoo -haaa at LHR isn't completely fixed before we leave for our next cruise! 2 size acceptable carryons p.p. would obviously be better than having to go on our cruise with what one single carry-on p.p. can hold?

Hi Globaliser... it's me again! does that mean (if I read your post accurately) if EDI to LHR / on BA has relaxed its "one bag, size acceptable , carry-on" per person rule , we could take " 2 size acceptable, carry-ons per person" now?
No, unfortunately not.

EDI has lifted the one-bag rule. So you can take more than one through the security checkpoint so far as the airport is concerned.

But you must still meet the airline's restrictions, which are:-

· one standard sized bag, maximum size must not exceed 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22 x 17.5 x 9.85 inches) including wheels, pockets and handles

· one laptop sized bag, handbag or briefcase

· a maximum weight of 23kg (51lbs) applies and you must be able to lift the bag unaided into overhead lockers on the aircraft.

No, unfortunately not.

EDI has lifted the one-bag rule. So you can take more than one through the security checkpoint so far as the airport is concerned.

But you must still meet the airline's restrictions, which are:-

· one standard sized bag, maximum size must not exceed 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22 x 17.5 x 9.85 inches) including wheels, pockets and handles

· one laptop sized bag, handbag or briefcase

· a maximum weight of 23kg (51lbs) applies and you must be able to lift the bag unaided into overhead lockers on the aircraft.

Thanks for the clarification Globaliser...I can always rely on you for the up to date info we need!!!

What did they expect people to do with their checked luggage? I am traveling on BA home from my cruise and I am taking 1 large suitcase up to 70 pounds and possibly a 2nd check-in. I would of been in a pickle. We will be on BA in a month and I hope they are no longer experiencing the same problems.

What did they expect people to do with their checked luggage?
In theory, I think that there would have been five options:-
  1. Drop the luggage at the left luggage (storage) facility and collect it after returning to London.
  2. Leave it with friends/family and collect it after returning to London.
  3. Send it unaccompanied (but I don't know whether the company that does that yet has a working outlet at T5 - I don't remember seeing it when I was there a couple of weeks ago).
  4. Travel with another airline.
  5. Not travel until you could take your baggage with you.

Which of these options would be the least worst would depend on your situation and the purpose of your travel. But it was basically the same when the T4 baggage system broke down a few weeks ago.

Archived