Flowers in Kauai

soubelle44

My ten year old granddaughter's "dream" is to have a picnic on the "Flower Island".

I will be taking her to Kauai in June. Does anyone know of someplace that I could take her that has beautiful flowers? A place closer to the port would be preferable but I could rent a car.

Thanks so much !!!!

Kauai is called the "Garden Isle" because of its lush greenery and rainfall. The "Fern Grotto" is nearby, but not sure if they have the tropical flowers you are looking for. There are multitudes of orchid nurseries on the north end (Hanalei/Princeville area), but you would need a car and it is a fair distance to go.

Displaced local girl

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been to either of these, but I read a Cruise Critic article on them. Hope this info helps ....

A botanical masterpiece, Na Aina Kai Botanical Gardens showcases 21 acres of gardens; a 45-acre exotic fruit farm whose crops include rambutan, lychee and atemoya; and a 117-acre plantation where teak, rosewood, mahogany and other tropical hardwoods flourish. Winding paths meander past trellises, gazebos, topiary, colonnades, arched bridges, a Japanese teahouse, and 70 life-size bronze sculptures of people and animals. The gardens are linked by a koi-filled lagoon, waterfalls, streams and other water features.

OR

Founded in 1964, the nonprofit National Tropical Botanical Garden is comprised of five gardens -- Allerton, McBryde and Limahuli on Kauai; Kahanu on Maui; and the Kampong in Florida -- and three preserves on the Big Island. It is the only institution chartered by an act of Congress to protect and study rare and endangered tropical plant species. Visitors are welcome on guided tours of NTBG's Kauai gardens, which display their own distinct beauty. For example, in McBryde Garden's Canoe Plants of Ancient Polynesia collection are plants that voyagers of long ago carried across the Pacific to provide food, medicine, building materials, clothing and shelter.

You might check out Smith's

http://www.smithskauai.com/tropical_garden.html

You would either have to do a ship tour, or hire a car, but it is a beautiful plantation.

They also do a luau if you are interested in that too.

Have fun, I took my 12 year old graddaughter to Maui in 2011 and she had an absolute blast.

Archived