Marco polo dress code

DPRESSY

We are going on the Marco Polo next month and brochure says dress code for non formal nights is smart. Having been on a Costa cruise last year where it also said smart for evening meals and finding passengers dressed in track suits and jeans I wonder if anyone can tell me how smart is smart for evening meal. On the costa cruise I felt so overdressed that I wore trousers and tops for evening meals which meant that all my new smart clothes were wasted. Hopefully this cruise I can wear them!

Maureen

Hi Maureen. We were on Marco Polo last year, the dress code was fairly well adhered to, with both ladies and gents being smart. However smart to one person can mean something different to someone else. I would wear trousers and shirt/polo, possibly with a tie or jacket, and my other half would wear a summer/cocktail dress or smart top and trousers/skirt on smart or smart casual evenings. Dress in what you are happy with. I would rather stand out as being over dressed than looking like I had just come in from the garden.

Hello DRESSY,

Are you on the 8th September sailing? We're on that with my wife's sister and her hubby. This is our second Marco Polo cruise, and we loved the first. It's a wonderful ship with very efficient and friendly staff.

I wore a suit, shirt and bow tie and my wife a posh frock on formal nights, of which there will probably be two. Quite a few blokes were in DJs, with wives in near ballgown style dresses.

On other nights I wore chinos and a short sleeved shirt, my wife wore less posh frocks! The only thing that's frowned on is tracksuits and swimwear. As it's adults only, and fairly oldish guests then men wear "smart" casual wear and women dress up a bit.

The car parking is a bit of an effort, but the embarkation was smooth with very friendly and helpful staff.

Have a happy cruise!

Richard

We went on the six week Marco Polo cruise to the Amazon. Husband took DJ - and I had cocktail dresses. Waste of time! Just pretend formal nights - no cocktail party beforehand with wine; no special menu. Husband wore blazer and tie after twice getting dressed up - women always look good in smart trousers or dresses. Wear what you feel comfortable in.

• 5 weeks later...
We went on the six week Marco Polo cruise to the Amazon. Husband took DJ - and I had cocktail dresses. Waste of time! Just pretend formal nights - no cocktail party beforehand with wine; no special menu. Husband wore blazer and tie after twice getting dressed up - women always look good in smart trousers or dresses. Wear what you feel comfortable in.

I have booked the 45 nights Amazon Cruise. Did you have a good time and would you recommend the cruise . We have to pay balance this week . I am just reading reviews and some of them are worrying .

• 1 month later...

Going on the Marco Polo Xmas special to Hamburg Market (in the evening and overnight) and Amsterdam. My wife is hoping that there will be a formal night even though the cruise is only 4 nights. She likes to dress up and likes to see me penguined up (very seasonal I suppose).

Good that there's no flying as the only weight restriction will be what I and the porters can carry.

This will be the first cruise when we will have taken winter clothes including thermals. Average temperature in Hamburg on a December evening is around 5c.

Happy Cruising!!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
We go on the Marco Polo next month for the Northern Lights cruise. Looking forward to it. Anybody got any advice and tips for us....

Cheers Gary

Hope you enjoy every moment and that you are lucky with your 'sightings'.

Can't help with the query but we are booked for the same trip next year so will look forward to all your info. :D

Spent a 1 night 'Festive Break' on her in December and was impressed with the crew ,food and entertainment...........regards H

ps. don't forget the thermals;)

Will love to hear how your Feb trip went. We are on the 16th March sailing to see the Lights (hopefully)..

Like you already stocked up on thermals and numerous layering. Probably end up walking like a Michelin man or woman as the case is.

After reading numerous reviews I have accepted that this could be a good trip on an older boat, maybe smaller cabins, but with great crew and friendly people!

As usual when you are after a particular itinerary, the ship is almost an afterthought!

Will still do a cruise with all the bells and whistles at some point but at present its the places to see and experiences to be had that win out. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Just back (well ok back last Friday) from our Northern Lights Cruise. Wow what a trip. We hadn't all......

Calm waters on leaving Tilbury and for most of our trip to Amsterdam. It got a a little worse as night went on but by no means rough. But the seas after Amsterdam were rough......and i Mean rough. We had storm force 10 with a 40/50knt head wind which in turn gave us 30/40 foot waves...... Well it was the best rollercoaster I have ever Been on. And the ride lasted about 48/60hours........

Look at my shirt video here on YouTube....

Think your gonna have to copy n paste the link to watch it. But just to,say that this was shot on a calmer day.....

Anyway....

The ship. Yes it's old. Yes it prob could do,with a spruce up. But the crew on the whole were bloody good. The staff it he bistro prob could of done with smiling a bit more.

The young ladies doing bar drinks were nice n pleasent as we're other bar staff. Our waiter (Naned from Croatia) (I think that's how you spell it) on table 65 was the best. Nothing was ever any trouble. Other waiters we had at breaking n lunch were not as good and it showed.

The cabin..... We stayed right at the back on the right side in cabin 546 I think it was...god to,long ago now to try n remember lol. Nice big cabin (cat12) but it was so cold. We had a oil radiator in the room for,heat which did the trick but the bathroom was always cold... We wedged the door open to get heat into it most of the time. Basic but useable. Nothing special.

Overall I loved the trip. I loved the boat, but after 2 weeks I was glad to get off. Don't thinking could of done any longer. Just wish they would cater for thronged audience too. We were 45 and 38. Some of the stuff was ok, but. Do get fed up with bridge crafts n boring bloody talks........

And did we see the northern list..... YES.... Loads of times. Richard Sykes will put a tanoy call out (whatever the time of night) to say hat the lights are present and how bright they are. I thought this was very handy. And didn't mind being disturbed one it as its what I done the cruise for.

Anyway. It's getting late n I need sleep. If you want to know any more then just ask me. I have plenty offices of the boat n will try to post them somewhere at weekend.

Cheers gary

• 1 year later...

Archived