French Polynesian Cruise--What to do?

BassettMom

I'm booked on the Ocean Princess 10-day Tahiti cruise in Jan 2015 visiting the French Polynesian islands. We have two overnights in Papeete (on embarkation and debarkation) and an overnight in Bora Bora along with port stops at Huahine, Rangiroa, Raiatea, and Moorea.

My elderly parents are also booked on this cruise since my Dad has always wanted to "run away to Tahiti" ;). The ship's excursions haven't been posted yet, but I'm trying to get an idea of what to do and see at the different ports. It looks like the majority is all beach, snorkeling, scuba diving related activities. Since my parents don't snorkel or scuba dive (nor do they zip line or do other "active" activities), what are some of the things we might think about doing at these islands?

My parents are in their 80s and Mom does have some difficulty walking far, or for very long; she doesn't use a walker and she manages to walk for a while when shopping, but that is more of a slow stroll. My Dad is an amateur photographer and I'm assuming there will be plenty of beautiful sights to capture.

Trying to get an idea of some things to see/do that wouldn't be strenuous, and also aren't really beach related--although we might go to the beach once, they really aren't "beach people." Are all the islands similar in terms of what to see? Which island is the best for shopping? Are there any "cultural" shows or events featuring Polynesian dance, food, etc., and if so, which island and where?

Any suggestions on what else there is to do would be great since I want to make this cruise as wonderful as possible for my parents.

Suggest you look at the Paul Gauguin forum. This is a small ship which is based in Tahiti and your questions are probably well answered there.

Moorea is a good island to rent a car. You can contact Avis and they will have a car waiting for you at the dock where the tender drops you off. If you drove around the island it would take 2 hours. You can head up to Belevedere Lookout and also stop at the Juice Factory. Some shops along the roads as well to explore.

We spent 6 nights on Rangiora last year and in all honestly there is nothing to do there except to snorkel or dive. The one road has a couple of tiny shops and if you are not intersted in water based activities you probably have to stay on the ship.

Princess will offer driving tours going around the circumference of the island on Bora Bora and Raiatea; those tours are both are very scenic and need not be very strenuous. When we did such a tour around Raiatea, lunch at a seaside venue was included. A 4-wheel drive excursion somewhat into the interior of Bora Bora is also interesting and scenic, but parts of the trip are quite rough and potentially hard on the back. Similar excursions but with notably smaller groups can likely be arranged privately -- check the previous related threads on this Board, and on the Paul Gaugin Board, as well as the roll call for your cruise

The ship will no doubt also offer driving excursions around Moorea. However, as FlightMedic said, Moorea would be a good place to rent a car and circumnavigate the island on your own (with a side trip inland to the Belvedere).

At Rangiroa (and also Bora Bora), glass-bottom boat trips are offered. Even for those not overly inclined toward marine activities, it should be very interesting to get a glimpse of the colourful fish and corals through the glass bottom. At Rangiroa, there is also a free shuttle bus (or there used to be) to a store selling black pearl jewelry -- interesting to see even if you do not want to buy. They also give a short presentation on pearl farming practices.

When we did your itinerary a few years ago, Princess brought a local dance group aboard when the ship was at the dock in Papeete the first night and again during the early evening of the Raiatea day. The Raiatea performances include children as well as adult dancers. I believe these colourful dance performances at both Papeete and Raiatea are standard practice on this Princess itinerary. If you sit in or near the front row, be prepared to become part of the show!

The islands are spectacular, both offshore and onshore, and the small Princess ships are small enough that the influx of passengers does not overwhelm these small islands. You and your parents should all have a great time.

John

I'm booked on the Ocean Princess 10-day Tahiti cruise in Jan 2015 visiting the French Polynesian islands. We have two overnights in Papeete (on embarkation and debarkation) and an overnight in Bora Bora along with port stops at Huahine, Rangiroa, Raiatea, and Moorea.

My elderly parents are also booked on this cruise since my Dad has always wanted to "run away to Tahiti" ;). The ship's excursions haven't been posted yet, but I'm trying to get an idea of what to do and see at the different ports. It looks like the majority is all beach, snorkeling, scuba diving related activities. Since my parents don't snorkel or scuba dive (nor do they zip line or do other "active" activities), what are some of the things we might think about doing at these islands?

My parents are in their 80s and Mom does have some difficulty walking far, or for very long; she doesn't use a walker and she manages to walk for a while when shopping, but that is more of a slow stroll. My Dad is an amateur photographer and I'm assuming there will be plenty of beautiful sights to capture.

Trying to get an idea of some things to see/do that wouldn't be strenuous, and also aren't really beach related--although we might go to the beach once, they really aren't "beach people." Are all the islands similar in terms of what to see? Which island is the best for shopping? Are there any "cultural" shows or events featuring Polynesian dance, food, etc., and if so, which island and where?

Any suggestions on what else there is to do would be great since I want to make this cruise as wonderful as possible for my parents.

Because of the limitations of your parents your choices are limited. Remember FP is all about the lagoons and fauna

There will be plenty to beautiful things to photograph. some of the best views are during the entering and exiting of the lagoons which of course your 50 - 60 feet up.

The best shopping will be a few blocks from the ship location on Tahiti, Le Marche. Some of the small vendor stands at the tender drop off locations are fun.

You might be best served by renting a car on Moorea and maybe even some of the other islands. It is beautiful but hot and humid, nothing like watching the beauty go by while your in the A/C.

The drive up to the Belvedere on Moorea along with the AG school on the way up are great choices.

The best 2 shows will be at the IC Tahiti and Tiki Village on Moorea.

Here are some links to the best things to see and do on Moorea, Bora Bora and around the water front on Tahiti.

Bora Bora

Moorea

Huahine

Waterfront

Edited by Tikiintahiti

Thank you all for the advice and recommendations. I have a few months to do some research and you've pointed me in the right direction and given me some things to think about. We'll probably do one "beach day" but didn't want to do that at every island (and my parents don't snorkle or scuba dive). I'll check out the PG forums (wouldn't have thought about that) and look into renting a car (wouldn't have thought of that either).

Thanks again!

Don't worry! There will be plenty for your parents to enjoy when cruising French Polynesia! :-)

Princess Cruises will offer many sightseeing tours. Below is a list of some example tours offered by Princess Cruises which are not about the beach or swimming in the water:

Papeete, Tahiti:

Island Drive & Gauguin Museum

Highlights of Tahiti

Island Drive

Undiscovered Tahiti

Papenoo Valley & Waterfall by 4WD

Huahine:

Island Drive

Maeva, Mata'irea Hill & Fare Pote'e Museum

Pearl Farm, Maeva Marae & Vanilla Plantation

Huahine Iti 4WD Safari

Rangiroa:

Rangiroa's Lagoon by Glassbottom Boat

Rangiroa Aquascope Semi-Sub

Raiatea:

Island Drive, Pearl Farm & Tainuu Marae

Faaroa Crater, Faaroa River & Taputapuatea Marae

Raiatea Lagoon Sunset Cruise

Bora Bora:

Island Drive, Anau Look Out & Bloody Mary's

Tupuna Mountain, Pahonu Hill & Island Drive by 4WD

Bora Bora's Lagoon by Glassbottom Boat

Moorea:

Island Drive, Kia Ora & Belvedere

Island Drive, Tiki Theater Village & Juice Factory

Moorea by 4WD

Dolphin & Whale Watching Expedition

Enjoy Tahiti! :)

Denise Blackmore, MCC

Don't worry! There will be plenty for your parents to enjoy when cruising French Polynesia! :-)

Princess Cruises will offer many sightseeing tours. Below is a list of some example tours offered by Princess Cruises which are not about the beach or swimming in the water:

Papeete, Tahiti:

Island Drive & Gauguin Museum

Highlights of Tahiti

Island Drive

Undiscovered Tahiti

Papenoo Valley & Waterfall by 4WD

Huahine:

Island Drive

Maeva, Mata'irea Hill & Fare Pote'e Museum

Pearl Farm, Maeva Marae & Vanilla Plantation

Huahine Iti 4WD Safari

Rangiroa:

Rangiroa's Lagoon by Glassbottom Boat

Rangiroa Aquascope Semi-Sub

Raiatea:

Island Drive, Pearl Farm & Tainuu Marae

Faaroa Crater, Faaroa River & Taputapuatea Marae

Raiatea Lagoon Sunset Cruise

Bora Bora:

Island Drive, Anau Look Out & Bloody Mary's

Tupuna Mountain, Pahonu Hill & Island Drive by 4WD

Bora Bora's Lagoon by Glassbottom Boat

Moorea:

Island Drive, Kia Ora & Belvedere

Island Drive, Tiki Theater Village & Juice Factory

Moorea by 4WD

Dolphin & Whale Watching Expedition

Enjoy Tahiti! :)

Denise Blackmore, MCC

Thanks Denise. The Princess excursions just got posted this weekend. Nothing on Papeeti Tahiti yet, but just a matter of time.