Tell me about grenada

lexingtonave

Grenada is known for their spices. We just got back from their on the Emerald Princess and enjoyed the tour of the nutmeg processing station. It poured, but we still had fun. Their are some beautiful areas, very natural and green! We didn't do the beach, had the opportunity to snorkel in Bonaire, St. Thomas and Princess Cays, so we took a ship tour in Grenada.

We were on Serenade of the Seas last week and our first port was Grenada. Since we've been there before, we decided to skip doing a tour and took the water taxi over to Grand Anse Beach. It was a great day and the beach was lovely. The water taxi is $6 per person (return) and it stops right at the port and takes you right to Grand Anse. We rented two loungers for $5.00 each and there were a few little beach bars for drinks and food. There's also a small craft market right on the beach. It was a very relaxing day and we thoroughly enjoyed it. :)

Thanks for the info! Was there any water sport activities at Grand Anse like jet skis rentals or snorkeling??

Yes, there were jet skis for rent at Grand Anse. We don't snorkel and I couldn't remember if we saw anybody snorkelling, but I googled "Grand Anse Beach" and it does say there is snorkelling and water activities. Have fun if you go! :)

Were the vendors an issue? We were here years ago and the vendors were very aggressive.

No, we didn't find the vendors an issue but we walked quite a ways down the beach before we rented loungers. I noticed most of the crowd was near the water taxi drop off and the little market but when we came off the water taxi, we made a "right" and just kept walking.

To be honest, the only person that approached us after we were settled was from one of the snack bars in the market and she was happy to bring us drinks, etc. She came back periodically to check to see if we wanted another one! :D She also brought a menu that listed the food available..hamburgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, etc but we weren't really hungry.

I was quite surprised at how nobody bothered us since I had read similar reports about vendors. Just don't park yourself in the crowd...head up the beach.;)

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We were on the Emerald Princess in March. I'm not a fan of Granada. Our tour with JNJ was boring...went to see the waterfall and crater lake but that's all we did- SEE it. No swimming. There were locals everywhere wanting our money....2 guys jumped into the water at the waterfall (didn't even dive) and then went around with a hat to collect money. Women wearing fruit on their heads wanted $ to take their pics. Musicians were scattered around, also wanting $. The beach was the same...guys selling drinks, rides on inflatable chairs etc. and even trying to sing to us. The worst part was the smell of pot at the beach...it was very hard to get away from, even when we went way out in the water. They also charge $ for the bathroom! If I even took a cruise there again, I wouldn't even get off the boat. I did not feel safe there. And no, I don't believe there is any snorkeling. There are too many boats in the water. I wish I could do a review of our tour, but I can't even find JNJ on trip advisor. It was recommended to me by a fellow shipmate on this site.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, there were jet skis for rent at Grand Anse. We don't snorkel and I couldn't remember if we saw anybody snorkelling, but I googled "Grand Anse Beach" and it does say there is snorkelling and water activities. Have fun if you go! :)

There are no jet skis for rent on Grand Anse beach. They are not allowed and have not been for at least 10 years. If your last visit was recent and they were available then methinks they were an illegal operation and certainly not certified by any tourism or marine body.:o

Besides beaches, tell me about Grenada please :)

Two options I highly receommend if you want to see the island and then hang at the beach for the afternoon. You cold do a half day island tour with Mandoo (check his Trip Advisor reviews) and then he can bring you back to the beach for the afternoon. If you want good snorkeling and island information/sightseeing then Grenada Seafaris (check their Trip Advisor reviews) combine the underwater sculpture park with a 2.5hr sightseeing powerboat fun ride. They are highly involved with the sculpture park and have worked closely with Jason, the artist to get the new sculptures in and to maintain the place.

Snorkeling off Grand Anse beach (if you simply want to go there for the day) is limited. Off the best parts of the beach there is just sand and sea garss for flesh coloured fish and probably lots of sea urchins. At the very south or north end there are small reefs but nothing as good as the USP which is within the Marine Protected Area.

Whatever you choos I ope you have a great time on our gorgeous island :cool:

We were in Grenada 2 weeks ago off of the Celebrity Summit. We had a great day at Grand Anse Beach. First of all, you have to understand what the vendors want from you when you step off of the water taxi. They want to be your "server" for the day and will bring you drinks right to your chair. So my best advice is just look over who has approached you and pick one. He will then help you pick out chairs and then will bring you drinks throughout the day-not a bad deal. We also had people approach us on the beach for tubing. We decided to try it and it was $10 per ride and it was awesome. It was a tube with 4 seats across and it was just a blast, I think we went 4 times. They even took my husband for a spin around on water skis. This was one of our favorite islands and it was an awesome beach.