Pacific Jewel - first time with P&O, what should I know?

tazaria

I've cruised with RCL before, and the RCL forum had some great tips about the "secrets" cruisers should know... so what are the little helpful tips I need to know about cruising with P&O/on the Pacific Jewel? (eg, best locations for sail away, "secret" hangouts/hidden balconies that no one knows about, best restaurant for lunch on departure day to avoid the crowds, amazing dishes on the menu not to be missed)

I've cruised with RCL before, and the RCL forum had some great tips about the "secrets" cruisers should know... so what are the little helpful tips I need to know about cruising with P&O/on the Pacific Jewel? (eg, best locations for sail away, "secret" hangouts/hidden balconies that no one knows about, best restaurant for lunch on departure day to avoid the crowds, amazing dishes on the menu not to be missed)

If I tell you where the secret locations are, they will no longer be secret.;) Hint, just check the doors at the end of the higher accommodation decks.:) For sail away, we head to the pool deck. If you have used the library on RCI, BYO as Jewel has removed the books due to pilfering. We love the Oasis at the stern/back on deck 10, adult only. The Orient bar is a good location for a drink.

The best tip I can give you is when you come back on board after a shore visit keep an eye out for the frozen face towels and ice water on or near the wharf, worth a million dollars after a hot day on shore or the beach.

• 3 weeks later...

The ships are older but service is great as long as you fit in the P&O system. Have done many P&O cruises and I do enjoy it. Entertainment is good, especially the shows. P&O try to provide the same service to all passengers, so no rewards program (etc).

we just came back from the jewel today and i must say the food in the waterfront is great we booked a table most nights apart from when we ate at the salt and i tell u do not eat lunch as the food is so so yummy plus try high tea at salt for 20.00 a head and its worth it

• 1 month later...

Anyone cruised with both RC and P&O before? Also curious what to expect in terms of differences? Obviously a less "international" ambiance due to a local route, a smaller ship in my case, etc. But overall how do the facilities compare (at least to smaller RC ships), the food, the bars? Can you really tell you're on a "local cruise" or does it still have that grand feel to it?