Glenn Milway

EXECUTIVE CHEF

JeanMarie Zimmermann

CHIEF PURSER

Jan Kristiansen

CRUISE DIRECTOR

Raymond Rouse

Oh great.

Another detour on the Jan. crossing down to the Azores for all the softies on board?

Well, actually, the QM2 is currently sailing R/T from Fort Lauderdale to the Caribbean until she begins her world cruise on January 10, headed first for Rio.

And I have to say that we're very pleased to have Captain Rynd as Master of the QM2.

According to the Cunard (US) website:

QE2 Officers as of 12/15/06

CHIEF PURSER

Jan Kristiansen

According to the Cunard (US) website:

QM2 Officers as of 12/16/06

CHIEF PURSER

Jan Kristiansen

Did he teleport from the QE2 in Brussels to the QM2 in Fort Lauderdale at midnight?

Having just returned from the QM2 where I had the opportunity to meet both Captain Rynd and his wife on a couple of occasions. I found them to be charming and very approachable and thoroughly enjoyed our chats. In addition, when we had a brief problem with the thruster door not closing, Capt Rynd kept us well informed in a most timely manner and made sure that extra activities and parties were swiftly arranged to compensate for the loss of a couple of hours in St Kitts. Personally I didn't find it to be an inconvenience at all, but felt he was very forthcoming in his announcements which came when he said they would. Mrs Rynd told me they would be onboard until February. I'm sure those of you who will start the World cruise with him will enjoy meeting him.

Cheers, Penny...still wishfully "Live from the QM2"

Yes, good, give Rynd to QM2.

I hope that comment was in jest!

I assume it was, but nonetheless, I'm still hearing many that aren't. It really amazes and saddens me how many people are still moaning about Capt. Rynd's stint aboard QE2.

Despite all the vitriol, I can only think of three allegations that have been levelled against him:

1. (the big one) He decided to change the course of the ship to avoid a storm.

2. Initially, he rang the ship's bell at noon instead of blowing the whistle. When informed that this was not liked, he switched to both as a compromise.

3. His name is difficult to pronounce.

On the first count... He was taking into consideration the comfort and, yes, safety of the majority of his passengers. I know some of us book the January crossing hoping for bad weather, but we are not the only people on the ship!. The Master of the ship is in charge of the safety of over 2,000 people on board, and I am quite certain that most of them do not want him running into storms for absolutely no reason other than to please a small group of die-hards. And personally, when it comes right down to it, I would rather have someone who will err on the side of caution than some cowboy who makes a reckless decision just to "have some fun".

And the truth is, nobody knows exactly what anyone else would have done in the same situation anyway! For all you know, a "real" Cunard captain might have made exactly the same decision. And I am sure that any of them would, if asked, totally respect the professional judgement of their fellow Master Mariner, even if they might not have done exactly the same thing.

On the second count... This one is just silly. Fortunately, I have not seen it dredged up lately.

On the third count... You may think I'm kidding about this, but I'm not! A few weeks ago at a "shippie" function I happened to be chatting to a seemingly nice old lady who had recently returned from QE2 when she mentioned how happy she was that "that Captain we had last year" was gone. Her eyes suddenly narrowed with disgust at the thought of this hated man; she looked as though she'd just seen the devil himself. "He was horrible", spat she; "I couldn't even pronounce his name!" For a moment I thought she was kidding but the look on her face made it abundantly obvious that she was deadly serious. I can only presume that she couldn't think of any better reason to justify her vitriol, so there it was - "I hate him because his name isn't easy to pronounce."

Anyhow, sorry if I'm a bit sensitive about this but the level of nastiness I've seen is just astonishing! At times it has made me worry if perhaps I'm no more welcome on Cunard than poor Capt. Rynd, and I should scamper back to HAL where most of the officers have names that are a heck of a lot more difficult to pronounce than his... And nobody cares ;) !

I

2. Initially, he rang the ship's bell at noon instead of blowing the whistle. When informed that this was not liked, he switched to both as a compromise.

;) !

Doug,

The reason for the switch from horn to bells at noon was because in the old days of CUNARD..... the TRADITION was to ring the ships bell at noon. This was to give passengers a 'time check'. All ships sound their whistles at noon... at sea. It is done for testing purposes, not for a time check although it serves that purpose as well. Anyhow, Captain Rynd decided that he would revert to an old and established Cunard tradition.

He told me about this over lunch here in Sydney... just over a year ago. Anyhow, I suggested that he might want to do what is done on board the Saga ships.... ie do both... bells AND whistle. He liked the idea so that is how it is now done.

On ships that I sailed in we used to sound the whistle at noon and then give a quick ring on the emergency alarm bells. Couldn't do that on a passenger ship. It would scrare the cr*p out of everyone!

Stephen

The reason for the switch from horn to bells at noon was because in the old days of CUNARD..... the TRADITION was to ring the ships bell at noon.

Oh, I know why he did it... But according to his detractors, the "right" way to do things meant however it was done the day before he stepped aboard, and woe betide him if he changed something :rolleyes: !

Personally, I like the bells-and-whistle aproach (no pun intended).

As for alarm bells, yes, I think it would probably be wise to avoid that on a passenger ship ;) !

As someone who took the matter up with Rynd personally, I understood his perception was that it was a nautical tradition to ring eight bells at noon. I am sure he is right.

However my understanding is that the whistle at noon on a Cunarder goes back at least as far as Diggle on the Aquitania which I would say was long enough to be "an old and established Cunard tradition".

Every other master, before and since, has sounded the whistle at noon. Both whistles at noon, and then the second and third blasts are the two whistles sounded separately. The fog horn is then sounded.

I also found his habit of a 9.03 broadcast frustrating as there was a speaker outside the cabin and it disturbed us. On the other hand, people do want information, so I suppose his is a difficult situation!

My reservations were mainly based on his seeming refusal to respond to vessels in Conception Bay who had put on a fantastic show for us and were clearly begging for the whistle to be sounded - and it wasn't. Somehow, to me, that seemed ungrateful. We had been given an amazing reception there, and a bit of celebration leaving would have been good.

On a personal note, he was unfailingly polite and gracious.

As someone who took the matter up with Rynd personally, I understood his perception was that it was a nautical tradition to ring eight bells at noon. I am sure he is right.

However my understanding is that the whistle at noon on a Cunarder goes back at least as far as Diggle on the Aquitania which I would say was long enough to be "an old and established Cunard tradition".

Well, now he has combined them, which I hope should satisfy everyone :) !

On the announcement issue, this is definitely a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation... I have very often heard complaints of too many announcements and too few announcements from different people on the same voyage!

I would rather have too few, myself.

As of 16 December 2006, Ruud Jansen is Chief Purser onboard QM2.

I like Ruud Jansen. He was Chief Purser on May 23, 2006, when we boarded with our cat for a transAtlantic round trip. Here is what we blogged at the time: "... Chief Purser Ruud Jansen showed up. I showed him Sebastian's Vaccination Certificate. "Is this all you have?", he asked. "Well he's not leaving the ship.", said I, showing him our return ticket. "Oh, then he doesn't need any documentation. I'll call the kennel man.", said the Chief Purser. Five minutes later, Robinson, the kennel man, arrived and we were on our way to the kennels."

Paul

On the announcement issue, this is definitely a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation... I have very often heard complaints of too many announcements and too few announcements from different people on the same voyage!

Indeed. It also depends on how close your cabin is to a speaker!

Interestingly, when I was on the Midnatsol, one could set the 'phone so that one had the choice of the announcements coming through the speaker system in the 'phone or not. Seemed a good idea.....

Well now....aren't those three "offenses" mentioned by Host Doug worthy of flogging!! Good grief!!! I don't believe second guessing the Master of a ship as to his safety decisions even rates discussion, let alone calling into question his right to make those decisions. I love a good storm at sea as much as the winter crossing folks, but really, there are generally a few more people whose rights...not to mention safety...might just carry a bit more weight. Will these folks ever get over it?:( And what of the hard working crew???Anybody give any thought to them? I'm guessing not many of them have their membership card in the winter crossing club. I'm sure that they look forward to a rip roaring winter storm at sea so they can continue serving you, and cleaning up after you while being tossed around.

And having just returned from the QM2 I can assure the "traditionalists" that the horn blew at noon...right on time. As to the bells, can't say I noticed as I was as close to the horn as I could get without losing my hearing!! I LOVE that sound, especially when I'm so close it reverberates from my hair follicles to my toe nails.

And honestly, since when is Rynd difficult to pronounce??? Host Doug is right...look at a few of those HAL Captains's names

Perhaps I'm showing my age whereby I believe someone in the position of Master of a ship the size of QM2, and also her smaller sister QE2, is due my respect regardless of where he came from. Obviously the owners of both ships consider his judgement sound and above question. Buying a ticket does not earn one the right to run the ship, I don't care how many Cunard sailings one has done.

Have donned the asbestos suit, just in case!:eek:

Cheers, Penny...still wishfully "Live from the QM2...under Captain Rynd's command.

Interestingly, when I was on the Midnatsol, one could set the 'phone so that one had the choice of the announcements coming through the speaker system in the 'phone or not. Seemed a good idea.....

Most ships used to have this - but I haven't seen it in quite a while.

It seems that generally, all the announcements are piped in through the public areas, while only emergency announcements actually come into the cabins.

In your case, you had a speaker outside your door, so that muddled things up a bit! Even if you had a speaker control in your cabin, it wouldn't control the one outside your door.

It really amazes and saddens me how many people are still moaning about Capt. Rynd's stint aboard QE2.

Despite all the vitriol, I can only think of three allegations that have been levelled against him:

1. (the big one) He decided to change the course of the ship to avoid a storm.

Well, as someone who once spent a whale watching trip as one of about ten people on board who were NOT seasick (I enjoyed the trip!) nevertheless, it was a bit disconcerting to have some one lose their lunch next to me on benches and over the rail, see people carrying around huge garbage bags to stick ther heads in every so often, and to have the only whale to grace us with his presnece get a little extra surprise. Not to mention having to clean my jacket after a friend's daughter lost her lunch all over my jacket (the several hours ride home with that jacket in a chill fog was delightful, let me assure you!) And having Carol Burnett's washerwoman appear during dinner one night, followed by a fellow in a hazmat suit with yellow "caution - do not cross tape" (that would sure ruin your crossing!) on the QM2 during a "mild" nor'easter in September, I am perfectly content to give up a bit of my "Fun" in respect fror someone' else's comfort. Never forget the saying (chose your diety or other lucky talisman here) "There but for the grace of God go I!" I count myself quite lucky I do not suffer from the mal de mer. I would not wish it on anyone else, expecially not for my own selfish pleasure!

PUL-EEASE! people! Get a life! Obviously a word to the wise was sufficient! I quite imagine, if proposed as a way to SHARE the excitement of the history of the ship with him, and invite him into that inner circle, he might take it as a delight, indeed! Sometimes, it is all in the approach! You can fuss and fume and pout (don't forget, Santa Clause is watching!) childishly, or you can do something positive! Make life FUN! not a downer!

3. His name is difficult to pronounce.

As one who has TWICE sailed with Captain Hans von Biljouw, and learnt to say "Ou Had out met ou" in his honor (that took me about six months to learn to pronounce and I am good with languages and accents! I kept trying to make it more germanic, which Dutch is not! and pardon, if I did not come close to the correct spelling!) I found it to be more like a game, to try to learn to pronounce Dutch. I still try sometimes, when I get the chance. Some people like logic puzzles, some are terrified of them. I am embarrassed to pronounce someone's name wrong. I feel a tiny bit ashamed. So I practice! It hasn't killed me yet! And I learn something new and exciting!

Karie,

who is ashamed that people would exhibit such rank prejusdice. How incredibly childish and selfish, if true!

Every other master, before and since, has sounded the whistle at noon. Both whistles at noon, and then the second and third blasts are the two whistles sounded separately. The fog horn is then sounded.

I also found his habit of a 9.03 broadcast frustrating as there was a speaker outside the cabin and it disturbed us. On the other hand, people do want information, so I suppose his is a difficult situation!

My reservations were mainly based on his seeming refusal to respond to vessels in Conception Bay who had put on a fantastic show for us and were clearly begging for the whistle to be sounded - and it wasn't. Somehow, to me, that seemed ungrateful. We had been given an amazing reception there, and a bit of celebration leaving would have been good.

On a personal note, he was unfailingly polite and gracious.

'Old Cunard tradition'.... 'nautical tradition' is the same thing. Ringing ships bells at noon was done on EVERY ship. Bells are rung every half hour on the bridge. In the old days it was done on the wheelhouse bell by one of the quartermasters or lookouts. Now it will be a clock with automatic chimes.

The bells, 1 at 0.30mins

2 at 1.00 hours

3 at 1.30 hours

4 at 2.00 hours

5 at 2.30 hours

6 at 3.00 hours

7 at 3.30 hours

8 at 4.00 hours

Of course the four hour watches are midnight to 0400, 0400 to 0800, 0800 to noon, noon to 1600, 1600 to 2000 and 2000 to midnight.

As I said earlier, ships whistles are TESTED at noon. They are not intended to be time signals although they also serve that purpose. The bells as for time keeping purposes.

In the old days of steam whistles testing had to be done daily to keep the steam lines clear and the activating mechanisim working. Ever sounded a steam whistle? You can pull on the lanyard for several seconds before anything happens abd I daresay that on the AQUITANIA her whistles would not be loud enough to hear below decks. If QE2's whistles were not 'broadcast' you wouldn't hear them below deck either. One QE2... the testing of the two mas whistles, followed by each then the fog whistles on the bow... that is all done just for testing.

The 9.30 announcements... no sympathy for you! :rolleyes: You should not be in bed at 9.30 in the morning on board QE2. There are things to do!!!! On the Atlantic the crossing is so short that time spent in bed past 0700 is time wasted!!! :eek: You can only hope that on yopur next voyage the speaker will not be directly outside your door. I don't have a problem with the announcements... good to know what is going on, BUT.... if anything involves the cruise staff and an 'activity', or BINGO or shop sales... then I draw the line.

BTW... if you logon MainmastBooks.co.uk... and search for the new book... MAURETANIA... there is a recording of her steam whistles. Beautiful! Sounds much better than the weak horns on the MARY.

Stephen

Well, as someone who once spent a whale watching trip as one of about ten people on board who were NOT seasick (I enjoyed the trip!) nevertheless, it was a bit disconcerting to have some one lose their lunch next to me on benches and over the rail, see people carrying around huge garbage bags to stick ther heads in every so often, and to have the only whale to grace us with his presnece get a little extra surprise. Not to mention having to clean my jacket after a friend's daughter lost her lunch all over my jacket (the several hours ride home with that jacket in a chill fog was delightful, let me assure you!) "quote]

Karie,

This is what they call, "TOO MUCH INFORMATION"!!!!!!!!!! Your description is enough to make me reach for the bucket!

My first voyage in QE2... 1987 I was as sick as a dog for about three days. Whenever I sail in her now I take pills... I don;'t care what the forecast is. She won't do it to me a second time!!!!

Stephen

I would rather have someone who will err on the side of caution than some cowboy who makes a reckless decision just to "have some fun".

You, I, and I have absolutely no doubt, Sam Cunard would be in 100% agreement. Safety First! And anyway, those diversions mean she goes fast! Try doing that on the Queen Victoria.....oh, I forgot, she crosses in 7 days.......to the QE2's decades of 5 ......

Peter

Who also found Captain Rynd very personable, and formed the distinct impression he ran a very tight ship - much the best option in the North Atlantic, or frankly, any ocean or sea......

I'm glad to read the list of officers. Sounds like close to the same crew we had last June/July for the January's mini-trip. YAY!

I was talking to a long-term ship's crew about masters and he said Warwick was a real "storm-chaser". Apparently he slowed down at one point to let a good storm get in front of him for a Cape Horn run. This same crew member said there WERE masters who would run from a storm, but he said that Captain Rynd was NOT one of those. Not a "Storm-Chaser" like Warwick, but certainly a captain who knew his ship for what she was and was willing to use her.

SO, if Rynd dodged a storm, I would be willing to bet he felt he HAD to do so. And he probably grumbled about it all the way back to his cabin.

Other than that, we liked Commodore Warwick, who was on QM2 (as a passenger) during our June/July trip. But we also liked Rynd and his wife, who were very nice, especially to our children. As far as pronouncing his name... As long as you can get around the fact that it is pronounced "pine-apple-toffee", I think you should be okay. ;)

Stephen is very much right.

I suspect there were damn few brigantines, barkentines, and such who blew any damn whistle at noon!

Traidtion, both for the purpose of keeping the watches, and no doubt also, I am sure it was somewhat necessary for correct navigation to keep track of the time- especially on cloudy and foggy days/nights when a sextant was useless- I don't know, I am just guessing-

at any rate, I'm going to have to go with bells as being an older tradition, since sailing ships didn't have whistles, as a rule, having no steam!

And since various combinations of long and short whistles mean various things (such as the three long when leaving port) and indeed, are used to signal other ships, also, I wouldn't want to be going around blowing whistles willy-nilly! Not to mention the time it takes to build up a full head of steam again (on a real steam whistle)

and if you don't like the announcements at 9:30 especially when they are navigation and weather, then it is just possible that some might not want to hear the whistle blowing all the time, because everyone in the port just wants to hear it- Like kids giving the pull in the air to get truckers to pull their air horns. To some it is a delight, to others an annoyance. Espeically if you happen to live near the port. I imagine it can get a bit annoying at times!

(OTOH, I love airplane noise- It would be so distracting to me living near an airport, as I would want to run out and watch the planes! I do that now, as I am on the flight line for a helicopter guard base, plus some other treetop flyers associated with the guard. They are literally treetops, and I always try to run out to catch them. I find it exciting. Someone with a fussy baby they just finally managed put down for their nap might not find it so enjoyable!)

As always, YMMV

Karie,

who loves both, and has no problem with either.

When it's YOUR ship, you get to do what YOU want!

Til then, he has earned the right.

Archived