Great Bay

KevinsCruising

How is the beach by the cruise port ? Great Bay. I know it probably dosent compare to some of the other beaches but we want to be close to the ship just encase we choose to go back sooner.

Thanks

I often visit the boardwalk but I don't swim there. There are lots of bars and restaurants and it is really nice. As you suspected, the beach itself is not among the best on the island. There are documented pollution concerns. It's pretty much a cruiser beach.

You can get to Orient beach in 25 minutes via taxi and to get to the umbrellas and chairs at Great Bay beach is about a 20 minute walk. There are almost always taxis available at Orient.

You have travelled so far what's a few extra minutes to get to a nice Caribbean beach.:)

I often visit the boardwalk but I don't swim there. There are lots of bars and restaurants and it is really nice. As you suspected, the beach itself is not among the best on the island. There are documented pollution concerns. It's pretty much a cruiser beach.

You can get to Orient beach in 25 minutes via taxi and to get to the umbrellas and chairs at Great Bay beach is about a 20 minute walk. There are almost always taxis available at Orient.

You have travelled so far what's a few extra minutes to get to a nice Caribbean beach.:)

You make a good point. I am actually leaving today on the GEM for a 9 night cruise. I thought I read that Orient Beach has a lot of sea weed right now. I have to double check that.

Thank you

You make a good point. I am actually leaving today on the GEM for a 9 night cruise. I thought I read that Orient Beach has a lot of sea weed right now. I have to double check that.

Thank you

Lucky you. Ask the taxi drivers. If there is still seaweed issues at Orient then I suggest taking a taxi to Mullet in the morning and walking over to Maho around noon ( easy 15 minute walk) and then watching the planes land right past the beach at the airport and some take offs as well and then taking. Taxi back to the port. Leave around 2:30-3:00 if you need to be on the ship by 4:30. There are some bars right at the port that you could stop in if you have time.

Have a wonderful cruise.:)

Was at Great Bay last week in the Gem. Water was beautiful, no excess seaweed, Had great time with many others. Boardwalk and shopping fun too. Stop at Juggies for two beers and a small cuban cigar...Wish I was there now!!!

Safe sailing

Edited by spidybabe

Was at Great Bay last week in the Gem. Water was beautiful, no excess seaweed, Had great time with many others. Boardwalk and shopping fun too. Stop at Juggies for two beers and a small cuban cigar...Wish I was there now!!!

Safe sailing

We also enjoy Juggies'World's Smallest Bar". Can't beat 2 beers and a Cuban cigar all for $2.99. Juggies is great stop near the water taxi back to the ship.

Edited by Jolly Mon Sings

I was at Great Bay Beach on January 22nd. I walked from the ship to the mid-town pier in 25 minutes. The further you walk away from the ship the lower the price for chairs and drinks. You can also get there by land or water taxi.

I only had 2 hours before my tour so I just sat on a towel just a few feet from the water. I was near the Chocolate Factory and there were beach bars to the left and right. The water was clear, calm and warm. It's not the very best beach but it was nice and inexpensive. :)