Portsmouth

Cazz

Hello, I'm researching how to get from the point where cruise ships dock in Portsmouth to Portsmouth harbour train station. I've searched the forums but found no helpful info, but I know there will be some helpful posters here. :D

I'll be arriving on the swan Hellenic Minerva on a Friday morning in April. Self disembarking about 8:30am I expect. I won't be in a rush as I have an open train ticket, but my train goes on the half hour.

I'm not keen on walking, if it's more than say 15mins over flat, so can I expect taxis to be available outside or is there a local company I could phone if not, or should I pre book maybe?

Thanks in advance

Carol

Hello, I'm researching how to get from the point where cruise ships dock in Portsmouth to Portsmouth harbour train station...I'm not keen on walking, if it's more than say 15mins over flat, so can I expect taxis to be available outside or is there a local company I could phone if not, or should I pre book maybe?Thanks in advance

Carol

Carol, for pre booking, try aquacars.co.uk. They are based in Portsmouth and will meet you at the dock. Used them from Southampton Docks to the Hard in Portsmouth. Good luck...

It is too far to walk.

In Portsmouth most people use Aquacars who, in spite of their virtual monopoly, provide an excellent and reasonably priced service. They are not taxis, but private hire cars, so have to be booked. Most people call them on the phone and would be surprised if the car took more than ten minutes to arrive. fare will be less than £5.00

http://www.aquacars.co.uk/

Edited by Bob++

Hi Carol,

Cruise ships use the same port as the cross-Channel ferries, Portsmouth International Port. There'll be shuttle buses for the short distance from ship to terminal.

You can board the train at either Portsmouth Harbour or at the main Portsmouth & Southsea station but yes, both are way to far to walk. Portsmouth & Southsea is just a little closer and the train timing five minutes later so you'd have a little more leeway, but since Portsmouth Harbour is where trains start that's where you're likely to get better seats.

It's only a ten minute taxi ride, Aquacars will probably accept a booking or there are usually plenty of taxis at the port - I guess the fare is no more than £10.

JB :)

Aquacars will probably accept a booking or there are usually plenty of taxis at the port - I guess the fare is no more than £10.

JB :)

Just a small point - Aquacars are a private hire company, not licensed taxis, so you cannot flag them down like a black cab in London. You have to phone their office and request one. That said - they will never take very long to find you.

Licenced taxis cost more, but over that distance it will not make much difference. There is a taxi stand at the dock.

Edited by Bob++

There was not a shuttle bus run by our cruise company - not sure about Swan, we have sailed with them, but not from Portsmouth.

An alternative is to just exit the port, cross the road and pick up a bus going to The Hard (about every 10 mins I think, possibly less). We did that and used our bus passes, but it was from a shortish cruise and we did not have a lot of luggage - not that luggage would be a problem as it is all on the flat (apart from a slight ramp to get into he station at The Hard).

So whatever you do it will not be an issue. We travel to Portsmouth a lot as my mother in law lives nearby. We prefer Portsmouth Harbour station as all is on the flat and the train will be standing at the platform as most trains start from there. I think Portsmouth and Southsea can be a bit more problematic, depending on which platform your train goes from.

Be aware though, that some trains do not go on to The Hard and only start from Portsmouth and Southsea - so check the timetable and make sure you arrive at the right station for your train.

There are currently building works going on by The Hard but it is not a big problem.