Honolulu on Xmas Eve

lmentzer

We'll be docking in Honolulu on Xmas eve (Dec 24) from 7am to 1100pm. We need some suggestions on what to do. We don't particularly want to do any of the ship's tours, but want to do something special. Dinner on the ship should be something very special, so we won't want to be out long into the evening. So much will be closed in town so figuring out what to do is difficult. It looks like getting onto the Arizona Memorial and the Missouri will be a pain getting tickets and even just getting there from the ship. Is there much to see and do in the area where the ship will dock? Does anyone have some suggestions and/or recommendations?

I am always hesitant to say something is a "must do", but Pearl Harbor is one.

I don't know why it would be a pain. Easiest- just catch a cab. Other ways- take TheBus- both things commonly discussed here.

Depending on your walking ability, there isn't a lot to do in the immediate area of the pier, but if you have no limits on your mobility, Ala Moana Shopping Center comes into play. Again, a little public transit research here on the board gets you to Waikiki, which will be quite active.

In general, the touristy areas of Hawaii don't shut much down on Christmas Eve or Day.

We'll be docking in Honolulu on Xmas eve (Dec 24) from 7am to 1100pm. We need some suggestions on what to do. We don't particularly want to do any of the ship's tours, but want to do something special. Dinner on the ship should be something very special, so we won't want to be out long into the evening. So much will be closed in town so figuring out what to do is difficult. It looks like getting onto the Arizona Memorial and the Missouri will be a pain getting tickets and even just getting there from the ship. Is there much to see and do in the area where the ship will dock? Does anyone have some suggestions and/or recommendations?

Aloha :D

I live here and if I've never been to Hawaii before, only had the the one day on Oahu on X-mas Eve, I'd bite the bullet and pay the premium to the cruise line and go to Pearl Harbor. I'd make sure they were arranging the ticket for the tender ride (visiting the Arizona Memorial proper is actually free) and the price includes tickets to whatever other memorials or museum are in the package (all others cost). I recommend people take two days to see all 4 memorials and museums and I think they close at 5pm.

If you don't want to pay to go to Pearl Harbor, just walk around Downtown Honolulu. Go to Chinatown or walk over to Iolani Palace and the State Capital Building. All are within walking distance of the Aloha Tower.

The Bus on X-mas eve would also be a bad idea. While cheaper, not worth the hassle on X-mas eve. If you were able to get to the Ala Moana shopping center, you would find a ZOO. Cars everywhere trying to get there, find parking, get out of there (BIG BAD IDEA!) It is a shopping center on X-mas eve (What are you thinking?).

Aloha :D

Thanks. If we don't go to the PHVC, I think we'll catch a taxi down to the International Market and maybe walk down to Fort Derussey and see the beach and Army museum. I stayed at Derussey on an R&R from Vietnam. I don't think we'll have any problem finding something to do. I'm not sure an $80 tour from the ship along with dozens of others to just the Arizona memorial is worth it and we've already toured the Missouri when it was docked in Bremerton WA back in the 70's.

Thanks. If we don't go to the PHVC, I think we'll catch a taxi down to the International Market and maybe walk down to Fort Derussey and see the beach and Army museum. I stayed at Derussey on an R&R from Vietnam. I don't think we'll have any problem finding something to do. I'm not sure an $80 tour from the ship along with dozens of others to just the Arizona memorial is worth it and we've already toured the Missouri when it was docked in Bremerton WA back in the 70's.

The International Market Place closed at the end of 2013. I believe a mall is being built at the location.

What you will see on the Missouri today is probably nothing like what you say on here in the 1970s, unless you go a true behind the scenes tour.

My DW also stayed at DeRussey in the 1970s (Navy Officer). Waikiki is nothing like it was in the 1970s. DW likes going to Waikiki today.