HMC - anyone bring an umbrella?

Bibble

I believe this has been discussed here before, but I can’t find it, and I can’t remember the answer.

Has anyone ever brought their own beach umbrella to Half Moon Cay? My mother likes to sit right by the water, and needs shade, but likes to see what’s going on around her (rather than the clamshell). I’m not talking the big heavy duty kind with the 2” wide pole, but the kind you can pick up for $9.99 at CVS with the narrow pole.

Thanks for any experience anyone can share!

I have a beach umbrella that is the size of a large golf umbrella and has a second shaft with a pointed end that pulls out of the main shaft.

Because I drive to port most times, I always bring that umbrella with me for beach days. It works well on Half Moon Cay because of the sandy beach that is deep enough to push the shaft down into the sand.

Your biggest problem may be getting a lounger on HMC. They are in short supply if more than one ship is using the island and you are not on one of the early tenders on the first arriving ship.

FYI' on other islands the umbrella may not be as useful as the beach sand layer is shallow and overlays the coral rock of the island. There is not enough sand to hold the umbrella upright.

I did last year an 8 foot beach umbrella that is in a carry bag! A few people stopped to ask me where i got it - Ebay. They thought i rented it there when i brought it from home. Planning on taking it again in August-not only did it help with the direct heat from sun but we stayed dry during the rain shower.

Yes, the SIL is within driving distance of the Baltimore port that we are leaving from on July 29th. She is bringing two clip-on-the chair-type umbrellas for our use at HMC. Better safe than sorry!:D

thanks all! At least I won't be the first one ;)

We found lots of shaded chairs very close to the water.

I'm just going with the "better safe than sorry" attitude. But I am sure my mom will look for just regular ol' shade before we open the umbrella:p

I just bought one on clearance at Target. Comes in its own bag with shoulder strap. Has anyone tried to take one on the plane? It should fit in the overhead bin but I'm not sure if security will have a fit

Haven't thought about a plane... I've brought a guitar through security once, so "you'd think" it wouldn't be a whole lot different... but you never know with those guys.

Archived