Empress - How many pieces of luggage allowed?

My wife and I are only 2nd time (ever) cruisers. Our last (and 1st time) was with Grand Princesses back in 2004 so we have basically forgotten all the routines.

My question: How many pieces of luggage will be be allowed to bring on board?

We will be flying to Miami. Each of us will have one piece of checked-in luggage and also a hand-carry (cabin-allowed) suitcase. Would this be okay when we board the ship?

In addition, upon reading the pre-board package (not exactly what it was called but my wife was emailed to download this), we were told that one night before we arrive back in Miami, our luggages will be picked up, so we should have an overnight bag with us for our final night at sea. Can we use our hand-carry suitcase as our "overnight bag"?

Your feedbacks are much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

The size of the port x-ray machines are of similar size to an airport machine. That's the rule of thumb we use. If you can carry it on a plane, you can carry it on a ship. Other larger pieces would need hand inspection.

Bob, has it right.

The only thing I would add. What ever you carry-on or off needs to be portable enough to navigate escalators and elevators.

Enjoy your cruise.

Embarking, most people leave all but their carry-on with the porters at the terminal entrance (tip). Then they put the carry-on through the scanner in the terminal and keep it with them until their room opens at around 1:00. Yes, you can take your regular suitcase as carry-on if it fits through the scanner but you will have to haul it around until cabins open.

When disembarking you can self-disembark and haul everything with you. You would NOT put your suitcase out the night before. Generally you must have a hand free to use the escalators in the terminal or use the backed-up handicap elevators. Do this if you need to get off early (self-disembark is requested a few days before the end of the cruise).

If you don't request self-disembark you will get color coded luggage tags a few days before the end of the cruise. These are tied to disembark times, so if the time doesn't work you need to trade in the tags at Passenger Services. You put the tag on your normal bags and set them out in the hall the night before and they show up in a big room in the terminal. Keep your carry-on, clothes for the next day and your passport with you - do NOT put these out in the hall. Once you pick up your tagged bag in the arrival hall you proceed through immigration and customs.

There is another option for disembark luggage on some ships/ports/airlines/flight times. For $25 Royal will take your bags to the airport and put them on the airplane. You next see them at your home airport. They also print your boarding pass for you. Baggage fees for the airlines are extra. These bags are also put in the hall the night before disembark. Again, the ship will give you a flyer detailing rules a few days before you disembark. Not sure if this works on international flights but I seem to recall that the first leg has to be on a US carrier.

Edited by LeeW
more