Jewel - room for 4 - family balcony or mini suite?

dolphinwyo

Hello,

I have been on hold with NCL for an hour now. Trying to figure out a room on the Jewel for our family of four. If we book a family balcony, I want to make sure that the room has the sofa PLUS a bunk, so 2 kids are not sharing sofa bed. Also, looks like it is hard to get to balcony if couch pulled out?

It would be $300 more for a mini suite - is it worth it for the extra space? Any advice would be great - first time with NCL, 6x with Carnival, so not familar with NCL at all.

Thanks!

With 2 kids of my own we went with the mini-suite as it is larger then the balcony room. With many questions to NCL I found out that the family balcony room is just a balcony room but is near the kids clubs.

The balcony is approx 35 sq ft for balcony room and approx 54 sq for a mini suite. The mini suite room is also approx 50ish sq ft larger. When the couch is pulled out (for both rooms) it is hard to get to the balcony. But you just pop it closed when kids wake up and you have all of your room.

So, I'd say go with the bigger room as it will provide more space both in and out on the balcony.

Or, purchase 2 balcony rooms with a connecting door then you have private time at night...

Have a good cruise.

I've been researching this issue, but for the Pearl. From what I can tell, the 4 person balcony cabins have the 4th bed as a pulldown bed from the ceiling, however it covers the balcony doors. Doesn't seem like an ideal situation for me, so I would go with the minisuite. I was thinking DH & I could sleep on the sofa bed and my girls could have the regular bed separated into separate twin beds - if they didn't want to sleep on the sofa bed together.

Here is a thread where you can see the bed configuration in a 4 person balcony:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1406516

Maggie

I've been researching this issue, but for the Pearl. From what I can tell, the 4 person balcony cabins have the 4th bed as a pulldown bed from the ceiling, however it covers the balcony doors. Doesn't seem like an ideal situation for me, so I would go with the minisuite. I was thinking DH & I could sleep on the sofa bed and my girls could have the regular bed separated into separate twin beds - if they didn't want to sleep on the sofa bed together.

Here is a thread where you can see the bed configuration in a 4 person balcony:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1406516

Maggie

Just letting you know that on Dawn and Jewel class ships the sofa beds in the minis are very uncomfortable and barely double sized -- it was difficult to sleep on it as a 5'3" single person in my 20's. I can't imagine sharing it with another adult. A foam topper would help some, but it would still be rough.

We've had a mini 3 or 4 times and found the room to be very adequate, even with 4 people. However, in the mini there is no option of a bunk (at least not that we've seen) and 2 people would share the sofa. DH and I have shared the sofa in a mini and did just fine. We were comfortable and had room. I'm only 5'2" but DH is 6'.

On this last cruise we were in a penthouse but we had relatives in a regular balcony room. I was surprised at how much smaller it seemed than the minis we've been in. The sofa is smaller and when the sofa is made into a bed it blocks the access to the sliding deck door. I wouldn't want to have that room for 4 people unless there was no other choice.

Another difference is that the mini has a tub/shower in the bathroom, where the balcony rooms only have a shower.

Also, the decks on the minis are a little deeper than those in the balcony rooms.

Have fun!