Guide book

bobbisailsolo

Someone mentioned a good guide book to read about the stops on a Hurtigruten classic voyage, but I can't seen to find the post. Seems to me it could be ordered on Amazon. Anyone familiar with this guide? There are several different ones offered on Amazon. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was given a copy of the English version of Hurtigruten The World's Most Beautiful Voyage with text by Erling Storrusten when I took the coastal voyage. I just looked on Amazon, and did not see a cover that looked like the one I have, although there is a version from 1998 by the same author for $0.69 plus $3.99 for shipping. I can't find the publication date for the version I have, but it was really helpful during the voyage.

The current version of this guidebook should be on sale in the giftshop on board for about 50NOK, if you don't want to carry it from home. (another thing that used to be given to each passenger for free and that you now have to pay for, but it is very handy).

There is also this one : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hurtigruten-Detailed-Culture-History-Legends/dp/8299720648 which is very complete but too heavy I think to bring along, maybe more to read before (or after) the trip.

I think you can buy the book on board. The book is good, but not for $90! There are a few pages per stop - very doable if you read it as you travel. The book is worth the same as a Fodor's or other travel book. It is not a coffee table book. The used ones on US Amazon may do the job for you. As you read about the voyage, you can get your questions answered on this forum. Someone probably knows the answer :-)

Unless I'm wrong, the guide recommended by RSF (which you ordered) is the same one I was suggesting you buy on board for 50NOK, so if the one you ordered is in good conditions you will be fine with this one. I don't think there has been a lot of updates from the previous versions, except the cover and maybe some pictures.

You can buy the more expensive one on board as well, but I'm not sure it is worth all that money. You can look through it in the shop and decide for yourself.

I understand that Hurtigruten produce a sheet every day with details of the ports to be visited that day. Hopefully that will be sufficient as I don't want to use up valuable packing space with a guide book.

There are not much details on this sheet, mostly the times for meals/stop/special sights along the way and ship crossing. There are only a few lines for each town. Depending on the person in charge of tours, there might be a briefing each night to talk about the highlights for the next day (and also advertise for excursions! ;)). Also for the major towns reception will hand out city maps.

The guide book mentioned by RSF Cruiser is quite handy with many information for each day and I think it is really interesting, but you will find it in the onboard shop for about 50NOK. So you can just pop up in the shop and have a look at the book, and buy it you think it is worth it. The price is small enough that you can just leave it in the cabin when you leave if you don't want to bring it back.

I bought the book "The Norwegian Coastal Voyage: Hurtigruten. Detailed 11-day voyage guide" USED on Amazon for about $30USA. It sold for about $70USA on the ship as I remember. You might see if someone here has a copy they would sell you used too. It was invaluable on the cruise...I carried it with me up to the Vista Lounge daily and read as we went along, and then later used it when I was downloading and editing my 1500 photographs after returning home to get names, etc. right. It is a big book, and fairly heavy, but I am glad I took it with me.

I bought the book "The Norwegian Coastal Voyage: Hurtigruten. Detailed 11-day voyage guide" USED on Amazon for about $30USA. It sold for about $70USA on the ship as I remember. You might see if someone here has a copy they would sell you used too. It was invaluable on the cruise...I carried it with me up to the Vista Lounge daily and read as we went along, and then later used it when I was downloading and editing my 1500 photographs after returning home to get names, etc. right. It is a big book, and fairly heavy, but I am glad I took it with me.

Yep, that's the one I wanted. I can't find it for under $90 on Amazon or EBay. A new copy is $124,??May just wait and buy it on board. Wonder why the price is so high for this book. I've seen it as high as $3000 on Amazon!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by bobbisailsolo