Closest Airports to Greenwich and Dover

syesmar

My cruise will depart Greenwich and disembark at Dover. I am not familiar with the area yet, and would like to know the closest airports to both.

I guess it depends on where you want to go.

If you want a direct transatlantic flight then Gatwick is probably the most convenient main airport, though in the last year the vast majority of flights have migrated to Heathrow. In which case you may have to use Heathrow even though it is the furthest airport away from both Greenwich and Dover.

The nearest airport to Greenwich is London City Airport, very close to it in fact.

Flights are short haul flights using small feeder aircraft to places like Paris, Dublin etc. It might be worth seeing if a flight schedule by BA or Air France into here is workable via a European hub like Paris.

From Dover, Gatwick is the nearest by road and probably the simplest by public transport too.

You'll get more airline choice through Heathrow. Greenwich from Gatwick is marginally easier than Heathrow by train, more expensive by taxi, little difference in time taken. I doubt whether going via Paris etc for the City airport is worth the grief or expense.

Dover is badly served by public transport for any airport - buses & trains all go via London - a 1 1/4 hr road journey to Gatwick or 2 hrs to Heathrow is 2 1/2 hrs by train or National Express bus, tho the bus does go to the cruise terminal.

But many cruise lines offer chartered coaches to Gatwick, and probably Heathrow as well, so you should first check with them.

John Bull

Archived