Splurge on Balcony for Italy port-intensive cruise for inside stateroom cruisers?

mikeerdas

We prefer a balcony but it's not only the view. I choose the location of stateroom depending on Sun exposure on sea day. So, this weekend we sail out of Venice on port side and will have the sun most of the one sea day. Last September, on Epic, I was poorly for a day or two so DW was glad to have the balcony to rest and have fresh air. Balconies for us in future! Ken

This is such a personal decision and solely based on your personal income. We have done both. With a port intensive cruise, why spend the money to walk out on a balcony a few times a day when you can go up to the top of the ship and see everything? You can save so much money that you would spend on other adventures. Make a list, check it twice and make sure it is worth it to you. We do a balcony on a transatlantic and stay in aqua because of the perks, but it cost. Everyone can give you their take on the issue but I feel it really has to do with your personal income.

This is such a personal decision and solely based on your personal income. We have done both. With a port intensive cruise, why spend the money to walk out on a balcony a few times a day when you can go up to the top of the ship and see everything? You can save so much money that you would spend on other adventures. Make a list, check it twice and make sure it is worth it to you. We do a balcony on a transatlantic and stay in aqua because of the perks, but it cost. Everyone can give you their take on the issue but I feel it really has to do with your personal income.

I think that's a nice take on it. Surely a personal decision. Partially but not always based on income. I see it as a Cost vs. Value choice.

I see a category of folks who wouldn't dream of sailing without a Balcony, ever. So they either cruise / travel less--or spend less on other areas of expense in life (if income is a constraint), put themselves into debt to do this (hopefully no one reading this does so), or have the financial means where money is never an issue.

There's a category of folks who feel interior staterooms are a "tomb"--who are genuinely claustrophobic. And so that's the constraint. Personally, I like sleeping in the bowels of a ship where it's very dark--and hopefully quiet. It's like a college dorm room with its own private bathroom. :-) Thinking back over my life, that itself is a form of High Luxury. So many things like this are relative.

I'm in a category where, now having experienced both sides--mostly interior and one balcony--Venice / Greek Isles--where a balcony was quite a treat (especially since I chanced into an upgrade at a No Brainer price--e.g. high value). And possibly being able to afford a basic balcony each time. But don't feel it's always good value for the cost (price) to me personally. Some things aren't a good value at any price. It depends.

Which is why I asked, for those of you where Interior vs. Balcony is a conscious choice you make for each unique sailing (that you could go with one or the other) if a balcony is worth the extra cost for this given itinerary.

I also put myself in the category of someone for who cruising is just one form of travel I choose for some years vs. others. Having not cruised for most of my traveling life, only discovering it later in my traveling life. So that puts me even further afield from people who only choose cruising for vacations, and then within that pool, are Balcony Only folks.

I don't think my travel choices, or anyone else's, are inherently good or bad; better or worse--with the possible exception of people who may go into a lot of debt to afford any kind of travel. Other than that, it's all a very personal choice.

Thanks again for the recommendations. I'm happy with my choice of an interior cabin for this cruise. Especially since I've combined the cruise with some independent overland travel pre and post cruise--that's a "two-fer" or a "three-for" in my book, feels like "cheating", and is, for me and my wife, the best of "both" worlds. Having our cake and eating it too, really. It works for us. :-) Others have other preferences and that's great. To each his or her own.

If I get the opportunity to upgrade to a Balcony at a ridiculously low cost, if may be a good enough value for me to go for it. Will make it a Game Time decision for this sailing if the opportunity arises. But I'm content with the value I'll getting from my interior cabin for the price I paid.

Edited by mikeerdas