1st time cruiser looking for help in Miami

dinibo

Hello! I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I am flying into Miami at 7:30 pm on 6/23 for a cruise on 6/24 and I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed trying to navigate all of the options.

1. Are there any hotels that have shuttles that both pick you up at the airport and will drop you off at the port? I'm hoping to not spend a fortune but would like a clean safe hotel near enough to somewhere to get a nice dinner. Free breakfast would also be a plus.

2. Our return flight is at 4:55 pm. Assuming we get off the ship around 8-9ish would you consider this enough time to justify renting a car for the day? I'm imagining it would take an hour to get to the airport and finish renting the car then if we need to be to the airport 2 hours early I'm thinking this gives us around 5 hours to play with. What would you recommend doing with this time?

Thanks so much for any suggestions, they will be a huge help!

Hello! I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I am flying into Miami at 7:30 pm on 6/23 for a cruise on 6/24 and I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed trying to navigate all of the options.

1. Are there any hotels that have shuttles that both pick you up at the airport and will drop you off at the port? I'm hoping to not spend a fortune but would like a clean safe hotel near enough to somewhere to get a nice dinner. Free breakfast would also be a plus.

I see you are flying in at 7:30pm so by the time you are off the plane and ready to go if you need to claim luggage it will be closer to 8:30pm. Given this, a hotel near the airport might be an ok option. I am not sure which ones have shuttles or not though to the port. I usually recommend staying in Downtown Miami. None of the hotels there offer shuttles because the port is so close. Also downtown offers close by lots of places to eat. It depends if you plan on doing anything else during the day before getting on the ship. Personally I prefer getting to the ship later in the afternoon, after 1:30pm or so, to avoid lines, and many times have my cabin ready by the time we get there.

If you pick an airport hotel, the area is not exactly a walking pedestrian type place. You could always take an Uber somewhere near by or some of the larger hotels have places to eat in them.

If you chose Downtown, all the restaurants are open late, especially on a Friday, and to get to the port the next day its a 5-7 min Uber/Cab ride $6.00 uber $12.00 cab.

2. Our return flight is at 4:55 pm. Assuming we get off the ship around 8-9ish would you consider this enough time to justify renting a car for the day? I'm imagining it would take an hour to get to the airport and finish renting the car then if we need to be to the airport 2 hours early I'm thinking this gives us around 5 hours to play with. What would you recommend doing with this time?

Thanks so much for any suggestions, they will be a huge help!

La Quinta - Miami Airport East - Airport shuttle, port shuttle and breakfast.

Your time on the back end of the cruise is marginal so I would consider a post cruise excursion.

Looks like you are cruising in June when prices should be reasonable. Nicer hotels in a better area near the MIA airport will be found in the Blue Lagoon neighborhood -- Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites, etc. There is a nearby strip mall with fast food, dining and shopping options if needed. All include airport shuttles and some may include shuttle to POM.

Post cruise I would taxi/Uber to South Beach (the "Miami" you see in the movies and on TV), pay to store your bags at the luggage lounge, and explore the area, sight-see, people watch, grab lunch, drinks, etc. You can taxi/Uber to MIA or use the Airport Flyer bus to get to the airport for about $3 each.

Your other option is a cruise line excursion or one of the hop-on/off bus tours that will include transport to the airport.

Have a great cruise!

https://www.yelp.com/biz/luggage-lounge-miami-beach

http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/routes_detail.asp?route=150

Marriott complex ( Airport)

Marriott ( restaurant)

Courtyard ( restaurant)

Residence Inn ( free breakfast)

Shuttle from airport ( free)

Cab is about $30.00 to port ( They may even have a shuttle but will be a cost )

Check their websites and see if they fit your needs.