Tips for drive to Cape Liberty cruise port

Nic6318

Hi there

We are driving from the north west and will spend the night in the Scranton, PA area, going on to the port on a Sunday morning. (May21)

I am looking for advice on this last leg. I was planning on parking at the port parking lot.

On googlemaps they have a some options and I wonder which would be the preferred route. I also see some of the routes have tolls...could you let me know where to expect these. If you could tell me are these cashless roads (how would they bill me? or will I get a ticket?) or will there be toll booths where I will need cash.

I was thinking of heading out around 09:00 hoping to get there around noon. Is that reasonable, or just wishful thinking?

Any advice would be welcome

thanks in advance

Hi there

We are driving from the north west and will spend the night in the Scranton, PA area, going on to the port on a Sunday morning. (May21)

I am looking for advice on this last leg. I was planning on parking at the port parking lot.

On googlemaps they have a some options and I wonder which would be the preferred route. I also see some of the routes have tolls...could you let me know where to expect these. If you could tell me are these cashless roads (how would they bill me? or will I get a ticket?) or will there be toll booths where I will need cash.

I was thinking of heading out around 09:00 hoping to get there around noon. Is that reasonable, or just wishful thinking?

Any advice would be welcome

thanks in advance

On a Sunday morning I would come in I80 to I287 to route 24 to I78. In Newark I78 becomes a toll road at its intersection with the NJ Turnpike at exit 14. It turns into the NJ Turnpike Extension towards the Holland Tunnel (exits 14, 14A, 14B, and 14C). You go one exit to exit 14A and the toll is $1.65. You can pay cash.

It's only about 125 miles from Scranton to Cape Liberty. I think 3 hours is an ample estimate. However, I would leave earlier to minimize the hassle on the Cape Liberty end. I like to arrive between 10 and 10:30 because there is much less port traffic and Anthem typically boards early starting about 11 am. The lunch venues are scheduled to open at 11 am, but the rooms aren't available until 1:30. However, you can grab some lunch at the 270 and explore the ship - bumper cars tend to run early. You can also resolve any outstanding scheduling issues before the masses arrive.

Hi 138East

Well, thanks for the quick response. I looked at it on the map and it seems pretty straight forward. I'll have my wife as my navigator, so we should be good. :D

We are on the Celebrity Summit and the Anthem is sailing on the Saturday, so that should keep down the congestion a bit.

thanks again

have a good weekend