Alaska Trip, lots of questions

Gaprofitt

Hello All,

I'm just starting the initial planning stages of an Alaska cruise for Summer, 2007. Me and my wife have been on 3 Princess cruises, all to the Carribean. Grand Princess, Carribean Princess and Golden Princess. My wife graduates in Summer 2007, late June so after graduation I want to take her on an Alaska cruise. Here are my questions.

1.)Does Princess offer any roundtrip Alaska cruises, I only see North and Southbound type trips. Needless to say we want to go on a budget and

with this type of airfare it would be extremely expensive from Atlanta.

2.)What are the differences in going in Mid July say versus August or May?

3.)Is a balcony cabin a must?

4.)At the earliest when would will be able to book a summer 2007 cruise? They don't seem available now.

Thanks for the advice.

Greg

Atlanta

My opinion only, but I don't care for the round trip Princess cruises that sail round trip Seattle. Too much outside passage sailing for my preferences and no Glacier Bay. Superior in my opinion is HAL round trip Vancouver. ANY cruise is a compromise, so educate yourself on ports, routes and glaciers. Budget fully for costly excursions, they make the trip. :) I forego costly cabins in favor of tours, with flights my priority. :) Go with what is YOUR priority. :) Plenty of time for research and a lot of your choices will change the more you know. Bookings will probably be available by late spring 2006 for 2007?

Greg,

I'm glad you posted your message, as my DH and I are planning our first Alaska cruise for Summer 2006. We have cruised the Caribbean before, but never Alaska. I've been following the boards for a short while, however I'm already confused and in great need of assistance. There seems to be many choices of where to cruise from (round trip vs. one-way) and inside passage vs. Gulf of Alaska, etc. I'm at a lost of where to start, and with the cost of cruising, I want to make sure we make the right decisions and have a fabulous vacation. We are going to celebrate our 10th anniversary and I just want to have a great time.

I'm hoping other seasoned Alaska cruisers will chime in and help us both out!

Janet

1) I don't know about specifically Princess offering roundtrips, but generally speaking the 10-day roundtrip cruises seem to be decent. They're not nearly as common, but cost-wise they can be close to a 7-day+Anchorage airfare.

2) Mid-July = longer days. That's part of the novelty of Alaska. The month of May, of course, will have more ice.

3) Some people swear by balconies. It really depends on whether you want a high-energy or low-energy type vacation. I, for example, am high-energy and don't need it. The room is a bed, that's it. Other people are like, "It's my vacation, why would I want to exhaust myself?" The balcony's right for them.

4) (don't know)

OK some basics to consider first,

round trip or one way. Plenty of people claim round trips miss plenty, in my opinion they pack a lot of great touring into 7 days, I especially like round trip Vancouver sailings with Glacier Bay, hence HAL my top choice. The round trips have plenty of scenery cruising inside passage. Seattle sailings as I have already mentioned do more open ocean sailing. It is easy to get between Seattle and Vancouver in a variety of ways, driving, shuttle bus, train, fly. you do need to add a day.

One ways are great options too, but my opinion only, I don't do them unless I am spending another week interior Alaska touring. Just a good use of time and money being all the way there. :) Plenty to see and do with your best and cheapest bargain wildlife opportunity- Denali Park. The one way cruises go either to/from Whittier or Seward. Seward is my clear choice for all the excellent touring available with my top choice, kenai Fjords boat tour. But most visitors just pass through missing out on great touring, don't be one of them. :) Whittier has superior glacier viewing boat tours, and 2 hours closer to Anchorage.

One way cruises are best with included College Fjords in my opinion, great sailing.

Plenty of compromises with any trip. So don't stress. Save funds for costly tours, they make the trip. :) With interior travel, budget enough TIME, more is better. :) Be fully aware of what cruise tours include and the traveling logistics. The more you know the better. :)

We just got back from our first cruise (1 way south from Whittier to Vancouver on Sun Princess) & first time to Alaska on June 20th. We rented a car and spent a week touring Denali, Seward, Homer, Denali and points in between prior to boarding our ship.

My suggestions are as follows:

1. Read these boards throughly to figure out what is most important to you.

2. Go to the library or book store and pick up a Fodors guide to Alaska

3. Go when you can get the most daylight ~ more bang for your buck

4. If there is any way you can swing a balcony, go for it. We are very active also and spent the time in our room sleeping and getting dressed but that being said, it was really nice to go to sleep with the ocean slipping by and wonderful to be in a new port in the morning, throw your drapes open to a new port and new sights. The interior rooms seemed claustrophobic to me. No window or natural light. Maybe a room with just a window would be a good option if you'd rather not spring for the cost.

Hi Greg, we just returned from our first Alaska trip/cruise. Our time constraints of work and children dictated a 7-day cruise. We took to NCL Spirit (with 14 of our relatives) on the Sawyer Glacier/ Tracey Arm route. At 3 out of 4 ports we saw one of the Princess ships, so at least one has a similar itinerary.

Cannot give you specifics about other sailing dates, but ours (July 2-9) was fairly cold. No shorts (outside of exercise gear) needed. Drizzly rain, chilly, but not truly "cold." Very warm coats unnecessary, gloves and hats only necessary for some specific tour options. (Realize this was just one snapshot of one week in July, but if you put enough of them together, perhaps a pattern will begin to emerge.) Sawyer Glacier was "calving," and catamaran captain said it hadn't done much of that up until July.

Balcony cabin: in my opinion, NOT a must unless you tend to seasickness. Then it is INVALUABLE. At our time of sailing, it was a bit too chilly and windy to eat breakfast on the balcony. But, it was wonderful to be able to keep that door open at night for the cool air that helped us sleep through the pitching. We had very rough seas twice (one time for 24 hours) during which access to the decks was denied due to high winds. Our balcony was our only source of fresh air. Husband and I both wore scopalomine patches, which we HIGHLY recommend taking. They are by prescription only; ask your doctor about it. One patch, which looks like a small band-aid, goes on your neck and delivers medicine continuously for 72 hours. On a 7-day cruise take two over 6 days.

No really large ship can get very close to the Sawyer Glacier, either the North or the South. Most people recommend that you book a balcony in order to sit on it while cruising the Tracey Arm to view the glacier. In lieu of that, if Princess offers a catamaran trip out to the glaciers, that would be a much better way to view them and would save tons of $$ over the balcony. We boarded a catamaran in Juneau about one hour ahead of our ship's departure, and headed out to the Sawyer Glacier. On the way we saw eagles, black bear, seals, humback whales, and all manner of other fowl. We had a very competent Scottish onboard naturalist who answered all questions, gave us a wonderful play-by-play of the natural history of the area and glacier. The boat was spacious and comfy and there were two inside levels with picture windows and two outside decks for viewing. We went close enough to a 1000-foot waterfall to get wet up on deck, and had spectacular views of the glacier, including three separate "calvings," from a quarter of a mile away (as close as they'll get). This trip took about six hours, and cost only $160. There was a big, clean bathroom, and complimentary coffee and hot chocolate, and sweets and salmon canapes. There were other items available for purchase. As far as value for money, this particular excursion was outstanding. We spent about $1500 more for our balcony than we would have an inside cabin, mainly because we were told that it was necessary for prime glacier viewing, but in actuality all our REAL glacier viewing was done on the catamaran. The sight of the NCL Spirit gliding majestically into the bay, surrounded by icebergs, was one of the most memorable of our trip, and only we could only have seen from the tender. We went alongside the Spirit and got on board from the catamaran, having had the best six hours of our trip!

Sorry for that excessively long-winded explanation, but: if your ship offers an excursion like this, take it---and you won't NEED the balcony, which you probably won't use THAT much if you go before the end of July when it is still chilly.

P.S. We fly out of Atlanta, too, and if you watch fares very carefully, can fly to Seattle for as little as $218 pp. Go to clarkhoward.com and sign up for his weekly Friday emails about sale fares. If you have a bit more time, you can lower the fare by going early and/or leaving late, staying in Seattle. Very nice Priceline rooms to be had in Seattle for under $50---check out www.biddingfortravel.com to see the list of PL hotels. K.

> Balcony cabin: in my opinion, NOT a must unless you tend to seasickness. Then it is INVALUABLE.

This was interesting. Okay, I'm having images in my head of what you use the balcony for when you have seasickness, and its impact on the balcony below you. :O (I'm sure you meant it has something to do with claustrophia+seasickness though)

Anyway, in my experience the seasickness tends to happen on the open seas, whereas the best views tend to happen on the Inside Passage.

we're going to Alaska in June 2006. Our decision to go round trip from Seattle was based on getting cheap airfare from Phoenix (Southwest Airlines). Any other route would just about double our airfare cost.

Our decision to get an inside cabin was based on cost also, but also on being able to get to sleep (and get the kids to sleep) when it's still light outside at 10pm. Im the sort of person that can't get to sleep very well if it's light outside, and it's almost impossible to get the kids down to sleep under those conditions.

Regarding the balcony and seasickness, it can help to alleviate the symptoms somewhat if you can get some fresh air and also if you can observe the pitching and rocking of the boat, rather than being in a little box of a room that seems to pitch, roll, and yaw at random. But a suitable medicinal remedy can take care of that also, is more conveneient, and is probably more effective.

We chose the HAL round trip out of Vancouver for a couple of reasons:

1. We had two glacier viewing opportunities: Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay. We were unable to get all the way inside Tracy Arm to the Twin-Sawyer Glaciers because of the amount of ice in the water, but were able to get close to Margerie Glacier in Glacier Bay for many calving displays.

2. Two days of Inside Passage cruising: Beautiful snow-capped mountains and lots of wildlife viewing opportunities.

We flew into Seattle the night before, were able to pick up a 4-star hotel room via priceline for $35 (and the night after).

We took Amtrak to Vancouver for $24 R/T.

With the cost savings of airfare (Seattle vs Vancouver) we were able to save approx. $350 per person.

We booked a verandah cabin and were very happy that we did. Although we spent much of the Glacier days at the bow of the ship for optimum viewing, we spent most of the Inside Passage Cruising days relaxing on our Verandah. With the correct layering of clothing, you can tolerate the wind chill quite nicely.

Budget Queen is correct in her assertment that the cruise is just scratching the surface of Alaska. You have to budget the tours and excursions in port to see the real Alaska. Getting up close to a humpback or orca, and then a glacier landing via helicopter are well worth the extra dollars.

Take your time, make the choices that make sense and fit your wants and pocketbook.

Have fun planning and then a great trip to Alaska!!

Sam

The name of our excursion---which was through NCL Spirit, not Princess---was called the Tracey Arm/ Sawyer Glacier Excursion. Princess may have something similar.

We spent basically the entire day of glacier-watching aboard that catamaran , and did not need our balcony for viewing. The views were really better from out on the ship's deck, anyway, and of course it depends upon whether you're in a starboard or port cabin.

You don't use the balcony for BEING sick---just for FRESH AIR to feel better (funny, but certainly not so to those under or downwind). JonB7 is right; the fresh air is what makes you feel better when you are queasy. Also, being able to fix your eyes on the horizon helps tremendously. (I lived on a sailboat for several years and this trick was invaluable.)

Whatever cruise and cabin you end up taking, you won't be able to help having a wonderful time, Greg.

we're going to Alaska in June 2006. Our decision to go round trip from Seattle was based on getting cheap airfare from Phoenix (Southwest Airlines). Any other route would just about double our airfare cost.

Our decision to get an inside cabin was based on cost also, but also on being able to get to sleep (and get the kids to sleep) when it's still light outside at 10pm. Im the sort of person that can't get to sleep very well if it's light outside, and it's almost impossible to get the kids down to sleep under those conditions.

Regarding the balcony and seasickness, it can help to alleviate the symptoms somewhat if you can get some fresh air and also if you can observe the pitching and rocking of the boat, rather than being in a little box of a room that seems to pitch, roll, and yaw at random. But a suitable medicinal remedy can take care of that also, is more conveneient, and is probably more effective.

For clairfication, it is simple and easy to get between Vancouver and Seattle which is only 150 miles apart. There is Amtrak, Quick Shuttle, cruiseline contracted buses, rental cars.

Hi,

I've been bidding 3 and 4 star hotels on priceline for Seattle in July and have been turned down at $70. I was surprised to read you got a 4 star for just $35! Can I bid cheaper than $70 closer to the day of departure and still get a room for my bid? Or, do I need to keep bidding higher? What time of the year did you go?

As for seasickness, we've cruised 6 times so far including rough waters to Bermuda where many had had upset stomachs in the halls. We usually get an inside cabin in the middle of the ship and down low in the ship, and so far, neither of us have been seasick.

Karen and Doug

Hi,

I've been bidding 3 and 4 star hotels on priceline for Seattle in July and have been turned down at $70. I was surprised to read you got a 4 star for just $35! Can I bid cheaper than $70 closer to the day of departure and still get a room for my bid? Or, do I need to keep bidding higher? What time of the year did you go?

As for seasickness, we've cruised 6 times so far including rough waters to Bermuda where many had had upset stomachs in the halls. We usually get an inside cabin in the middle of the ship and down low in the ship, and so far, neither of us have been seasick.

Karen and Doug

We took our trip towards the end of May, which probably explains the success with the lower room rate. We stayed at the DoubleTree SeaTac, very near the airport.

I place my bid a couple months out. Good luck and happy sailing!

Sam

Hi again,

Thanks, Sam. Glad to know you placed your bid early, and maybe we need to expand the search from downtown to airport and just travel downtown when we're ready to board (with bags) unless someone knows where we can keep our bags while we tour downtown before they allow us to board? We appreciate everyone's input!

Karen and Doug

i, too, lived on a sailboat for many years. In Charlotte amalie, St Thomas. 1966-71. Where were you?

I have hesitated to post about looking at the horizon when seasick because i read here that someone said DON"T do that, and didn't want to get into an argument. Well, DO do that.

The only times i've ever gotten quesey were crossing the Atlantic on a Greek freighter in '68 during a storm, and being becalmed on a sailboat that had no engine. We were bouncing up and down. Looking at the horizon did the trick. We were in open air, so air didn't help. But I can see where cool air might help. This was the Virgin Islands so it wasn't cool air. lol

it's just like a hangover...don't close your eyes or the room will spin.

I'm in West Cobb and going on my first Alaska trip week after next! I had the opportunity to go on a CE cruise that my work is helping me pay for, but the NCL SUN is a "V to V" trip. It primarily sails the inside passage up and back, which is prefered for scenery and less motion sickness.

I'll let you know when I do my trip report!! :)

Jacquelyn :D

Hi again,

Thanks, Sam. Glad to know you placed your bid early, and maybe we need to expand the search from downtown to airport and just travel downtown when we're ready to board (with bags) unless someone knows where we can keep our bags while we tour downtown before they allow us to board? We appreciate everyone's input!

Karen and Doug

Porters are out early morning accepting bags way before you can board. Just be sure to have them properly tagged, tip the porter and next sight of them will be in your room. :)

Hi Phyllis, I was a teenager in the early 70's aboard a school ship (two ships, actually) chartered in Rotterdam, the Te Vega and Te Quest. The Te Vega was actually in the St. Thomas area in 68 and 69, before she made the transatlantic to the Canaries. You may have seen her---156 feet long, gaff rigged, held about 60 people, built in Kiel, low deckhouse and white hull. It was painted blue in drydock in Ft. Lauderdale late 69, I think

Archived