Your first cruise ship

For my then very young husband and me, our first cruise was on the Costa Carla C in 1975, embarking from San Juan for a week in the Caribbean. I still remember the beautiful midnight departure and exploring the lovely, undeveloped Islands we visisted, including Martinique. The ship was small, 20,000 tons, and decorated with lots of velvet in jewel tones. This sailing was so long ago that the toga parties, which I understand are now part of Costa cruises, were non-existant. The crew was first rate, and the Italian food outstanding. We had a terrific time and remain hooked on cruising. Here she is:

CarlaC_01.jpg

COSTA CARLA C

We are off on yet another sailing this fall on the Noordam, and our son, who also loves cruising, will be joining us.

I sailed on the Carla C when she was Princess Carla for Princess Lines. I love that ship.

• 2 weeks later...
First cruise 82 days WC on Queen Victoria in 2009

Second cruise 82 days WC on Queen Elizabeth in 2012

Third cruise 120 days WC on Queen Mary 2 in 2013

Next year 116 days WC on Queen Victoria

And in 2015 we will be doing 180 days WC on Oceania.

Addicted? Nah…;)

How wonderful. Oh that they had a "green with envy" emoticon.

We have friends that only travel on Cunard and they love it.

First cruise together was in 1983 on the old Pacific Princess as they filmed Loveboat. We had to fly from Oregon to LA - had a wonderful trip with cruisers from Chicago, Montana and Texas - DH learnt the term "when to hold them and when to fold them" before today's poker craze. From the cowboys!

It hooked us on cruising and now the 2015 WC for 180 days! Always enjoy the cruise!

Edited by Sherard

First cruise together was in 1983 on the old Pacific Princess as they filmed Loveboat. We had to fly from Oregon to LA - had a wonderful trip with cruisers from Chicago, Montana and Texas - DH learnt the term "when to hold them and when to fold them" before today's poker craze. From the cowboys!

It hooked us on cruising and now the 2015 WC for 180 days! Always enjoy the cruise!

I always wanted to sail on the old Pacific Princess. We did get to sail on the new one and it was a great cruise. How fun to be onboard as they filmed.

My first cruise was on the Norwegian Pearl in March 2013. I loved it! The Caribbean is so beautiful.

I am definitely planning to do it again. The ship wasn't very old so I have no idea what I've been missing all these years. Has it always been this fun?

Cruising has always been fun but it's changed in lots of ways.

First cruise was on the Dolphin IV with Port Canaveral cruise lines. The cruise was in the very late 90's. It was a 4-day from Cape Canaveral to Bahamas and Key West. Food and service were great. Everything else was in such disrepair that it took us 10 years to take another cruise! We love cruising now though. Wow, how times have changed.

First cruise was on the Dolphin IV with Port Canaveral cruise lines. The cruise was in the very late 90's. It was a 4-day from Cape Canaveral to Bahamas and Key West. Food and service were great. Everything else was in such disrepair that it took us 10 years to take another cruise! We love cruising now though. Wow, how times have changed.

Mine too. I've never had better service on a cruise since. Loved that ship, it was a shame what happened to it.

Mine too. I've never had better service on a cruise since. Loved that ship, it was a shame what happened to it.

Service has changed a lot in the years I've been cruising. It was a whole different level in the "olden" days.

I always wanted to sail on the old Pacific Princess. We did get to sail on the new one and it was a great cruise. How fun to be onboard as they filmed.

We sailed her in 2002 about a month before she crossed the ocean to her new owners. I loved it! she may have not been much, but she had lots of nostalgia for the old Love boat show for me!

We sailed her in 2002 about a month before she crossed the ocean to her new owners. I loved it! she may have not been much, but she had lots of nostalgia for the old Love boat show for me!

I love the show. Princess shows reruns on their ships.

Hi, where did she go?

She went to an European line back in 2002 but I understand she is being scraped now. She sat in Genoa Italy for a couple of years rusting. There is a thread about her on the Princess board.

Well thus endeth the "ever shiny and new" line from the Love Boat theme. :rolleyes:

Well thus endeth the "ever shiny and new" line from the Love Boat theme. :rolleyes:

I still have not found anything about her being scraped since 2012 when the buyers defaulted on payment. That is why I said "I heard" and I heard it on our roll call thread,nowhere else. I am afraid it is true but I wish I could find confirmation. If someone would post a link, then I would know it is true and not just gossip.

Definitely. I was really impressed and that ship was ahead of its time.

I remember when the Mercury was launched they were cutting edge with TV's on which you could check your bill etc. VCR's all kinds of innovations. Unfortunately years later on our second trip on the Mercury while the rest of the world had gone to DVR's they still had VCR's. How quick the ride from cutting edge to obsolete.

I still have not found anything about her being scraped since 2012 when the buyers defaulted on payment. That is why I said "I heard" and I heard it on our roll call thread,nowhere else. I am afraid it is true but I wish I could find confirmation. If someone would post a link, then I would know it is true and not just gossip.

Here's an article from this year:

http://maritimematters.com/2013/03/and-away-they-go/

It mentions the Pacific Princess and other ships including the Southward. I loved the old NCL Southward. It was a beautiful ship.