Invergordon to Edinburgh

Hi all! We are going on a cruise that stops in several places in Scotland this summer. Our ship leaves port at 5 pm on the day we're in Invergordon (the port for Inverness) and doesn't dock in Queensferry (the port for Edinburgh) until 10 am the next day. We're hopefully planning to get off in Invergordon, see Inverness, see the countryside on the train to Edinburgh, and then stay overnight to get a full day there before getting back on the ship.

(yes, we know we need to notify the ship long ahead and yes we've done this before between other ports and loved it!).

Has anyone else done this? What was your experience? Also, we're planning to search for and read the rest of the boards for this, but what is the public transportation like from Invergordon to Inverness and from Edinburgh to Queensferry? Thanks so much for your input!

Hi Baked Alaska,

We live in the north east of Scotland. I may not be 100% in my information, but to the best of my knowledge, you would be best to take a taxi to Invergordon railway station and get the train to Inverness. Takes roughly about 50 minutes.

You can get a direct train to Edinburgh from Inverness. This is a regular service but approximately runs hourly. It's a really enjoyable journey down the East coast and takes about 4 hours. It's mainly single track line, with lovely scenery.

You can get timetables online at Scotrail. I would recommend booking seats.

Edinburgh in summer is expensive and really busy. Again book a hotel well in advance.

For your return to ship you can get a train to Queensferry and a taxi to port.

Be aware trains can be delayed and cancelled here on a frequent basis.

Have a great time exploring and a great cruise. Jean.

Hi Baked Alaska,

We live in the north east of Scotland. I may not be 100% in my information, but to the best of my knowledge, you would be best to take a taxi to Invergordon railway station and get the train to Inverness. Takes roughly about 50 minutes.

You can get a direct train to Edinburgh from Inverness. This is a regular service but approximately runs hourly. It's a really enjoyable journey down the East coast and takes about 4 hours. It's mainly single track line, with lovely scenery.

You can get timetables online at Scotrail. I would recommend booking seats.

Edinburgh in summer is expensive and really busy. Again book a hotel well in advance.

For your return to ship you can get a train to Queensferry and a taxi to port.

Be aware trains can be delayed and cancelled here on a frequent basis.

Have a great time exploring and a great cruise. Jean.

Splendid! Thank you so much! Can you tell me more about the train trip? What are the accommodations like? Is it fairly clean and comfortable?

I too live in the north of Scotland (in fact in Invergordon!) and would alter some of the information provided by "liptastic".

1) it would be nigh impossible to get a taxi from the cruise terminal to Invergordon railway station (they are all booked for day trips!!). Assuming that you would be travelling light then you could walk to the railway station in less than ten minutes. The early trains are probably too early at 06:51 & 07:20 so I'd go for the 09:42 but beware this train is usually very busy as it is the first through service from Wick to Inverness!

This would get you into Inverness at 10:34.

Given that you wish to explore Inverness you would probably need to book the 15:51 direct service to Edinburgh.

2) contrary to liptastic this service does not travel down the east coast but rather travels right through the heart of the Scottish mountains (stunning scenery) before crossing the River Tay into Fife. You are only on the east coast from Markinch to the Forth Rail Bridge! Travel time is three and a half hours. There are catering trolleys on these services and free wi-fi!!!

3) Accomodation in Edinburgh can be at a premium so book early to be sure.

4) Check with your cruise company where your ship is going to tie up - some are berthing at Rosyth, some tendering into Queensferry and some into Leith!!

Enjoy your trip!

PS train times assume Monday-Saturday!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Enthdegree you are more accurate in your information, as I said I was not 100% sure at the start.

Re the trains, it is a lovely trip, and the trains are fairly basic with WC and most often a catering trolley. You may find it worthwhile going first class, as you can get a smaller coach with table between and a light. Coffee provided is included in fare. It is very nostalgic going over the Forth Rail bridge for sure.

Re the taxi at Invergordon I would ask the concierge on board to pre book this, friends of ours did that and it was waiting for them. Jean.

Thank you both so much! After waking up to both of your endorsements this morning, we booked a room in Edinburgh (a lovely, well-reviewed AirBNB with views of the castle) for Thursday night. Also based on your recommendation, we have decided to pre-arrange our transport and tour from Invergordon, for a full day of sight-seeing that will drop us off at the train station. There is just SO much to see. We haven't looked at what we're doing in Edinburgh yet, but it's a few months away yet.

Thank you so much and we're looking forward to experiencing your beautiful country!

If you're ever stateside and need to know about Arizona's many sights (like the Grand Canyon and Sedona) as well as nearby places like Las Vegas, Roswell, and all of Southern California, please feel free to message me.

Thanks again!

Thank you both so much! After waking up to both of your endorsements this morning, we booked a room in Edinburgh (a lovely, well-reviewed AirBNB with views of the castle) for Thursday night. Also based on your recommendation, we have decided to pre-arrange our transport and tour from Invergordon, for a full day of sight-seeing that will drop us off at the train station. There is just SO much to see. We haven't looked at what we're doing in Edinburgh yet, but it's a few months away yet.

Thank you so much and we're looking forward to experiencing your beautiful country!

If you're ever stateside and need to know about Arizona's many sights (like the Grand Canyon and Sedona) as well as nearby places like Las Vegas, Roswell, and all of Southern California, please feel free to message me.

Thanks again!

bakedalaska,

I did the journey in reverse from Edinburgh to Invergordon several times last year as I was a local speaker (about Edinburgh.) on caribbean Princess. Funnily enough I preferred the journey by coach because the bus stop in Invergordon is very close to the port. You take the 25x (express) at about 5 minutes to every hour which takes you right into Inverness Bus station. You then just walk across the platform and take a megabus to Edinburgh -uk.megabus.com. If you book early you can get tickets as cheap as £3.

I found it didn't take any longer by bus because the train services we aren't very frequent and there was more hanging around and sometimes a change at Perth. You also seem more of the towns you're passing through and the route is pretty similar apart from the last part.

Thank you for your offer of advice - and I wish I'd read it last year at this time as we were planning to visit these places. We did our trip in June / July and had an amazing time

Edited by tartanexile81

I found it didn't take any longer by bus because the train services we aren't very frequent and there was more hanging around and sometimes a change at Perth. You also seem more of the towns you're passing through and the route is pretty similar apart from the last part.

Thanks so much! May I ask: what is the scenery in each mode of transport? Is one mostly towns while the other is mostlwy forest? Are they both inland scenery or is one of them along the coast? Since we live in the desert, we're so excited about seeing the beautiful country!

Bob ++

How old is that photograph of Inverness railway station?

Must be about ten years by the livery of the carriages!!

Mind you Scotrail (Abelio) are probably using the same units under a fresh coat of paint!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks so much! May I ask: what is the scenery in each mode of transport? Is one mostly towns while the other is mostlwy forest? Are they both inland scenery or is one of them along the coast? Since we live in the desert, we're so excited about seeing the beautiful country!

The train follows the same route as the bus which goes along the A9. No it's not mainly towns because there are very few towns in the Highlands. It is mainly hills, glens and isolated settlements apart from a couple of towns. You will be passing through the Cairngorms and Perthshire Highlands.

When you get to Perth, the train then goes East to Markinch and only at Kirkcaldy a few miles from the Forth Bridge does it join the coast and the scenery improves again IMO. From Perth the bus travels through Glenfarg and past Loch Leven both pretty areas, then it's about 15 miles of more built up areas before it reaches the Forth. At that point you will see where you will be at anchor under the Forth Rail Bridge from where you will sail down the coast out to sea with good views as the estuary isn't too wide.

Overall my vote for scenery still lies with the bus but there's not much to draw between them.