Cannon PowerShot SX170 IS to IPad question

theriac

I have two quick questions for you and as always thanks in advance!

Firstly I recently purchased a Cannon PS SX170 IS on Amazon for $140 and it came with a bag, 2 batteries, mini tripod, 32 gb memory card, and a few other extras. I did some quick research and it had some favorable reviews so I jumped on it as other Amazon stores and retailers were selling the same deal I got with 1 battery, less memory, no tripod, or bag for $199. I had to get red instead of black, but I didn't care considering the savings I got.

I've been using it trying to get the feel for it before I travel to Alaska in June. My question is how do you think I did for looking for a budget friendly camera and if anyone has any tips on fully utilizing the options like speeds, stabilization, and other features?

If anyone has used this camera what are your thoughts?

It can still be returned so no hurt feelings if anyone thinks it's bad.

I have liked the picture quality so far, that its not too high in MP(16) to help process everything better and it seems to have a nice lense, but I'm also very ignorant to photography so please help me.

Secondly(quick question) I also just got an Ipad mini that I'm going to be using for travel and when I move to China later in the year. Is there an easy way to transfer pictures from one to the other. I know the IPad doesn't have a USB so I'm curious if there's any tricks to use.

Sorry for such a long post, but I wanted to give as much detail toward the camera to help you understand why I went with my decision. I just started second guessing myself if I should have gotten something better, but I'm not really one to take photos much unless I travel or with my 3 months old nephew. Please if you have any knowledge of either of my issues I'd greatly appreciate any input. Again thanks in advance and I look forward to seeing what you all have to say!

I have two quick questions for you and as always thanks in advance!

Firstly I recently purchased a Cannon PS SX170 IS on Amazon for $140 and it came with a bag, 2 batteries, mini tripod, 32 gb memory card, and a few other extras. I did some quick research and it had some favorable reviews so I jumped on it as other Amazon stores and retailers were selling the same deal I got with 1 battery, less memory, no tripod, or bag for $199. I had to get red instead of black, but I didn't care considering the savings I got.

I've been using it trying to get the feel for it before I travel to Alaska in June. My question is how do you think I did for looking for a budget friendly camera and if anyone has any tips on fully utilizing the options like speeds, stabilization, and other features?

If anyone has used this camera what are your thoughts?

It can still be returned so no hurt feelings if anyone thinks it's bad.

I have liked the picture quality so far, that its not too high in MP(16) to help process everything better and it seems to have a nice lense, but I'm also very ignorant to photography so please help me.

Secondly(quick question) I also just got an Ipad mini that I'm going to be using for travel and when I move to China later in the year. Is there an easy way to transfer pictures from one to the other. I know the IPad doesn't have a USB so I'm curious if there's any tricks to use.

Sorry for such a long post, but I wanted to give as much detail toward the camera to help you understand why I went with my decision. I just started second guessing myself if I should have gotten something better, but I'm not really one to take photos much unless I travel or with my 3 months old nephew. Please if you have any knowledge of either of my issues I'd greatly appreciate any input. Again thanks in advance and I look forward to seeing what you all have to say!

Start here?

https://snapguide.com/guides/transfer-pictures-from-your-camera-to-your-ipad/

I have no personal knowledge of the camera but a general rule of thumb would be to sit down with it in your back yard or somewhere with varying scenes and work your way through the settings. It may help to take notes on settings that gave you an especially pleasing result. The most important and reliable way to learn about a new camera is to use it (a lot) until settings become easy to find and adjust.

Until you become knowledgeable about your camera, don't be afraid or ashamed of using Auto. Cameras are now very sophisticated computers with decades of photographic knowledge programmed into them and will produce excellent images when set to do the calculations for you. Creativity may sometimes demand adjustments and diving into the menus, but a good eye and sense of perspective is something you will always have to add to the mix.

As for the iPad, I don't use them because of their technical limitations but there are several SD card reader adapters available that simply plug into the proprietary port on the pad and allow you to read the card into the onboard memory. I would stick with the Apple brand like this one (my son uses one successfully):

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning-Card-Camera-Reader/dp/B009WHV3I0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430392419&sr=8-1&keywords=iPad+mini+sd+reader

Using third-party on Apple will probably void your warranty unless it is licensed by Apple and the port is programmable so software updates could disable the device if they change their minds about allowing third-party in the future.

Dave

Thanks, that's what I have been doing with the camera and Auto seems to be working pretty well for now. I'm just not sure about the proper settings I should adjust the shutter speed to for different outdoor shots. I used to be good with actual film when I took 3 years of photography in High School, but over the years I just always had my phone or real cheap Kodak point and shoot for travel.

Also after I posted this I found that lighting card reader. Unfortunately I had to choose an Ipad as its going to be the easiest form of communication while living in China and not asking friends and family to download additional apps since we can use face time or iMessage. Otherwise I would have gotten a new Samsung galaxy tablet because I agree Apple has lots of limitations!

I have no personal knowledge of the camera but a general rule of thumb would be to sit down with it in your back yard or somewhere with varying scenes and work your way through the settings. It may help to take notes on settings that gave you an especially pleasing result. The most important and reliable way to learn about a new camera is to use it (a lot) until settings become easy to find and adjust.

Until you become knowledgeable about your camera, don't be afraid or ashamed of using Auto. Cameras are now very sophisticated computers with decades of photographic knowledge programmed into them and will produce excellent images when set to do the calculations for you. Creativity may sometimes demand adjustments and diving into the menus, but a good eye and sense of perspective is something you will always have to add to the mix.

As for the iPad, I don't use them because of their technical limitations but there are several SD card reader adapters available that simply plug into the proprietary port on the pad and allow you to read the card into the onboard memory. I would stick with the Apple brand like this one (my son uses one successfully):

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning-Card-Camera-Reader/dp/B009WHV3I0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430392419&sr=8-1&keywords=iPad+mini+sd+reader

Using third-party on Apple will probably void your warranty unless it is licensed by Apple and the port is programmable so software updates could disable the device if they change their minds about allowing third-party in the future.

Dave

All I am going to say is that the lighting to SD adapter is cheaper at the Apple store than the price advertised on Amazon. It works quiet well for getting pics to the Ipad, but you don't want to dump too many pictures onto your iPad because of the amount of storage you have available on your iPad.

I use mine to transfer pictures from the camera to the iPad for easy posting to Instagram or FB while we are away.

All I am going to say is that the lighting to SD adapter is cheaper at the Apple store than the price advertised on Amazon. It works quiet well for getting pics to the Ipad, but you don't want to dump too many pictures onto your iPad because of the amount of storage you have available on your iPad.

I use mine to transfer pictures from the camera to the iPad for easy posting to Instagram or FB while we are away.

That's exactly my intention. Transfer to post to a hosting site. Do you know how much cheaper it is? The closest Apple store is about 45 minutes away that I'm aware of and with time and gas I may just get it on amazon