Xcaret or Tulum

ranger2131

We have 3 kids, 11, 9, 8, the youngest 2 are boys. DH and DD want to see Mayan ruins, so I booked Tulum with a beach break. BUT, I'm worried the treck out there and then walking around in the heat might be too much for the boys. I then noticed that Xcaret is nearer and has real Mayan ruins as well as a beach and a river to snorkel and it nearer. My worries . . .

1) The ruins won't be that good at Xcaret (they look cool, but compared to Tulum?)

2) We won't have time to see the ruins, do the river and spend time at the beach at Xcaret

Opinions welcome. Any info. to help would be great. Also, I was wondering how much food at Xcaret runs.

Thank you so much

Your better off posting in this forum to get the best answer. But I think you answer the question yourself for Tulum. Yes it can get very hot and your dealing with the younger boys. Bad combination for heat and most likely lack of interest which will lead to can we go now. :) .

Tulum is amazing. But with younger children it will be a challenge, but every child is different and you would know them best.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=210

Edited by Bosjoe

We did both excursions many years ago. I would say with 3 kids, Xcaret would my choice for you. Tulum would be hot, hot, hot. Xcaret is huge and there's lots to see and do. You can relax on a beach, go snorkeling, float down a river which was crystal clear and cold, swim with dolphins, sharks, manatees, stingrays which were additional $. There's a butterfly pavilion, there's a jungle trail, we also saw an Equestrian Show. There was just so much to see and do.

As far as the cost of food, you can buy a ticket that would includes a buffet and drinks at Xcaret.

http://www.xcaret.com

Are you docking in Cozumel? If so i really advise against a mainland tour with young ones. The trip is a long day, can be rough seas on the ferry, and you have no option to come back to the ship early. SO many good beach options on Coz the kids will love more. More shade MUCH less riding and you can eat or leave at your own whim.

If docking on the mainland then Yes to X but still a no to Tulum for younger ones. Even teens can be bored.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Are you docking in Cozumel? If so i really advise against a mainland tour with young ones. The trip is a long day, can be rough seas on the ferry, and you have no option to come back to the ship early. SO many good beach options on Coz the kids will love more. More shade MUCH less riding and you can eat or leave at your own whim.

If docking on the mainland then Yes to X but still a no to Tulum for younger ones. Even teens can be bored.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I did Xcaret last year and I am an adult, no kids. I absolutely loved it, but it will be a few years before I do it again, for sure. It is a L-O-N-G day. In fact, we were an hour late getting back to the ship (thank goodness it was a ship's tour). By the end of the day, I could barely crawl to the ferry. I was asking if we could go home about mid-afternoon. Oh, and it takes a long time to get there and back, too. And the sea was very rough both ways on the high speed (??) ferry.

The underground river (which I did not do) seems to be for the young, as it is long and tiring. If I were younger or in better shape, I would have done it though. It does take up a lot of time.

We had a guide who stayed with us for the entire day and I sort of wish he had let us have a couple of hours to tour on our own. There were a few things I wanted to see and we ended up running through them to get back to the ship.

I ate in a lovely, open air, restaurant. If I recall correctly, it wasn't inexpensive but not outlandish either. The guide directed us there, but I think there were other places to eat. I just don't remember.

Whatever you do, have a wonderful time!

Maureen

• 4 weeks later...
I did Xcaret last year and I am an adult, no kids. I absolutely loved it, but it will be a few years before I do it again, for sure. It is a L-O-N-G day. In fact, we were an hour late getting back to the ship (thank goodness it was a ship's tour). By the end of the day, I could barely crawl to the ferry. I was asking if we could go home about mid-afternoon. Oh, and it takes a long time to get there and back, too. And the sea was very rough both ways on the high speed (??) ferry.

The underground river (which I did not do) seems to be for the young, as it is long and tiring. If I were younger or in better shape, I would have done it though. It does take up a lot of time.

We had a guide who stayed with us for the entire day and I sort of wish he had let us have a couple of hours to tour on our own. There were a few things I wanted to see and we ended up running through them to get back to the ship.

I ate in a lovely, open air, restaurant. If I recall correctly, it wasn't inexpensive but not outlandish either. The guide directed us there, but I think there were other places to eat. I just don't remember.

Whatever you do, have a wonderful time!

Maureen

Hi Maureen,

Are all activities in the Xcaret excursion espectially river float included in the excursion (free?).

Thanks,

TR

• 4 weeks later...