From the Dockyard to Swizzle Inn

Jimbo

We took the ferry to St George and then a taxi to tobacco bay beach. After we had our fill at the beach we took a taxi to swizzle inn and made arrangements for the driver to come back with enough time to get us to the ferry before it left. It was a great day. I'm not sure I remember exactly the cost but I think it was close to $4 per person each way on the ferry, and then maybe $10 to get to tobacco bay, $15 to swizzle inn and $15 back to ferry. I will say that it wasn't a regulated taxi but just some random driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are two Swizzle Inns...the original in Bailey"s Bay not far from St. George's, and the South Shore location not far from Elbow Beach.

Methods of getting to each differ, as will the cost of transportation and travel time.

I see you're on the LOS 10/22 sailing, which according to the port schedule will be in Bermuda from 8 am to 4 pm on Saturday, 10/24. Since you're going to be in Bermuda on a Saturday, there will be no ferry service from Dockyard to St. George's, so getting to the original Swizzle Inn will require a ferry to Hamilton, followed by a long bus ride. Personally I wouldn't go there under those circumstances. It's a long trip and if you run into any travel delays on the buses or ferry you would run the risk of missing the ship or be faced with $60 or $70 taxi fare in order to try to get back on time. Even without running into transportation problems the trip will take so long that you won't have much time to spend there.

To get to the South shore location you can take the #7 bus from Dockyard, but pay close attention to the bus schedule as the bus ride will be about 40-45 minutes in each direction and buses don't run all that frequently. Bus tokens are $4.50, so a round trip ride will cost $9 per person. A taxi will probably be about $40 plus tip for 1 - 4 passengers in each direction.

Edited by njhorseman

There are two Swizzle Inns...the original in Bailey"s Bay not far from St. George's, and the South Shore location not far from Elbow Beach.

Methods of getting to each differ, as will the cost of transportation and travel time.

I see you're on the LOS 10/22 sailing, which according to the port schedule will be in Bermuda from 8 am to 4 pm on Saturday, 10/24. Since you're going to be in Bermuda on a Saturday, there will be no ferry service from Dockyard to St. George's, so getting to the original Swizzle Inn will require a ferry to Hamilton, followed by a long bus ride. Personally I wouldn't go there under those circumstances. It's a long trip and if you run into any travel delays on the buses or ferry you would run the risk of missing the ship or be faced with $60 or $70 taxi fare in order to try to get back on time. Even without running into transportation problems the trip will take so long that you won't have much time to spend there.

To get to the South shore location you can take the #7 bus from Dockyard, but pay close attention to the bus schedule as the bus ride will be about 40-45 minutes in each direction and buses don't run all that frequently. Bus tokens are $4.50, so a round trip ride will cost $9 per person. A taxi will probably be about $40 plus tip for 1 - 4 passengers in each direction.

Is it the same Rum Swizzle's at the South location?

Jimbo:)

How do you know when to get off the bus? Does it drop off right in front of the South shore location?

When you board the bus politely ask the driver to drop you off at the Swizzle Inn. Offhand I have no idea if the stop is directly in front of of the building...I've never gotten off the bus there.

I think we are changing our plans, does this seem doable?

20 minute ferry ride that leaves from the Dockyard at 9:30am to Hamilton,5 minute walk to the Bus station, then Bus#11 to the original Swizzle Inn at Baileys Bay on the North Shore. Bus ride 30 to 35 minutes?

So should be there by 10:45am Does that sound right? They open at 11am,

Edited by Jimbo

I think we are changing our plans, does this seem doable?

20 minute ferry ride that leaves from the Dockyard at 9:30am to Hamilton,5 minute walk to the Bus station, then Bus#11 to the original Swizzle Inn at Baileys Bay on the North Shore. Bus ride 30 to 35 minutes?

So should be there by 10:45am Does that sound right? They open at 11am,

I'd figure about 40 minutes on the bus to be on the safe side. You don't have to limit yourself to a #11. #1,3, 10 and 11 will all take you to the Swizzle Inn. The #1 will be the longest trip due to its route. You should aim for the 2 pm ferry from Hamilton to Dockyard.

You can do it, but I would never venture to that side of the island on sail away day. An accident closing a road, staying too long at your location or a bus or ferry service problem and you can find yourself missing the ship. I've seen it happen.