Excursion Questions first timers

AK Dreaming

We are sailing the first week of June on Princess and trying to decide on excursions. It seems to be much cheaper to book with a company like "Liquid Alaska Tours" who seem to offer guarantees about getting back to your ship? Has anyone else used them or someone like them? Is it better to book directly with the individual tour providers in each city or just pay the extra for booking with the cruise line? Also, I know this will be opinion but is it better to take a helicopter tour in Juneau or Skagway?

Thank you, any help apprectiate. I know we are running out of time.

We were just there in early May and did a helicopter/Menendhall Glacier walk tour. Booked directly and had a wonderful time. Of course it helped that the weather was unbelievably pretty and a pleasant 68. We were picked up right at the dock in a van and delivered back, after an amazing flight and Glacier walk. I would to this again, or might even just do a helicopter tour with the Glacier walk only because I've now done it. The view was amazing, we didn't see any bear but did see mountain goats!

• 5 months later...

Celebrity has a catamaran to view Sawyer Glaciers....we decided that vs the helicopter for the same reason out of Juneau. And if time we will take a bus/taxi to the Mendenhall Glacier.

I would like to do a glacier walk/trek! Is the only way possible by helicopter? Are there any boat rides to Glacier then walk. I am absolutely terrified of helicopters. Thanks

We are sailing the first week of June on Princess and trying to decide on excursions. It seems to be much cheaper to book with a company like "Liquid Alaska Tours" who seem to offer guarantees about getting back to your ship? Has anyone else used them or someone like them? Is it better to book directly with the individual tour providers in each city or just pay the extra for booking with the cruise line? Also, I know this will be opinion but is it better to take a helicopter tour in Juneau or Skagway?

"Liquid" is a booking agent. they do NOT run any tours, they may not even be in Alaska? It is unlikely the tours are "much cheaper". Likely you are not comparing the SAME tour. I never recommend this type of booking. Always it is superior to book direct with the vendors, no "middle men" involved.

it doesn't matter where you take the helicopter tour. What does matter is you making the booking selection you want, and making best use of your time between Juneau and Skagway.

You also are no way "running out of time" Better is to be certain of your selections and work out your ENTIRE touring schedule before willy nilly just jumping into reservations. Rework your initial choices, and make sure time works out ideally.

I would like to do a glacier walk/trek! Is the only way possible by helicopter? Are there any boat rides to Glacier then walk. I am absolutely terrified of helicopters. Thanks

If you are physically fit and have a full port day in Juneau, Above and Beyond offers glacier trekking, of Mendenhall, west side.

Easy is Matanuska a couple hours from Anchorage, easy walk up. Seward has Exit Glacier guides, but is a grueling hike in my opinion. :)

It is so easy to book all your excursions direct with local port companies, we did from the UK. Be guided by reviews etc on here. Do not worry about missing your departure time no local company wants that kind of black mark against their name. it won't be any cheaper going direct but your excursion will be run by a local person who nows what they are talking about and you are putting money back into the community and not the cruise line.