Wheelchair????

Riba

We are going on the Norweigan Dawn out of Boston in July. Since we live in MA we won't have to fly to get to the ship. We have a traveling wheelchair we can borrow. I, or someone in my party, will have to push the chair. We will only need the chair on board as he does not get off the ship. Would this chair be okay, or can anyone recommend a better one. Thanks

We are going on the Norweigan Dawn out of Boston in July. Since we live in MA we won't have to fly to get to the ship. We have a traveling wheelchair we can borrow. I, or someone in my party, will have to push the chair. We will only need the chair on board as he does not get off the ship. Would this chair be okay, or can anyone recommend a better one. Thanks

Is the person who will be in the chair able to walk at all? by "travelling chair" I'm assuming you mean a "transport chair" -- one that does not have the rims that a person in the chair can grab and propel himself?

That means that someone would have to be with him at all times so that he can get to the dining venues, or to the bars for refreshments (alcoholic or otherwise), get to the bathrooms, etc.

For these reasons I'd recommend you borrow/rent a "real" wheelchair, one that he can maneuver by himself if necessary. (I use a wheelchair for mobility).

And, if he needs a wheelchair and cannot walk, you need to know the chair will not fit into a regular cabin -- you'd need to have an accessible cabin. The doorways of a regular cabin are much too narrow, and once inside, there is no room for the chair to maneuver. In addition, if he needs a wheelchair, does he not also need grab bars in the bathroom, and a bath chair for the shower?

You need to be very concerned when borrowing any Transport chairs or other durable medical equipment for that matter. All transport chairs are not equal. They come in various sizes, widths and weight capacities. Often people that borrow this equipmnent from a friend don't always know this and place the rider at great risk for further injuries. Such as the chair totally collapsing with the rider seated in the chair because it could not handle the persons weight capacity. Before borrowing the chair you need to make certain that the weight capacity will safely accommodate the rider and the chair is not too small or over sized for the rider to safetly sit in it. Otherwise you need to rent/purchase a chair that properly fits the individual.

I am not a fan of transport chairs. Transport chairs have four wheels that are the same or almost the same size. These chairs strand the user and transfer every bump to the rider. Also my husband noted that this type of chair is very difficult to push on carpet although fine in the airport. A lightweight standard wheelchair that will collapse is better in that I find that type of chair much more comfortable, it can be "bumped" up and down curbs or a step, and I am never stranded anywhere if my husband isn't with me. Also since the chair collapses if you can stand you can use a standard cabin.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeepers, she asked for information and you gave her a book-length ad. I'll be sure NOT to use Special Needs at Sea if you are their typical salesman.

I agree that the wheelchair capacity needs to be matched to the person using it. And it would help if you could define what you mean by "traveling wheelchair" - I've never heard that term before. Some of the responders think you mean a transport chair, and they have covered the negatives of those quite well, but I think you may simply mean a wheelchair that collapses for easy packing in a trunk or hatch.

Make sure you can easily detach and re-attach the footrests. I sometimes use them and sometimes don't - if DH is going to be pushing me a long distance they are a help, but if it's just a few feet into someplace I am going to be sitting for a while (such as a restaurant) it's much more comfortable to leave the footrests in the car and hold my feet off the ground so I can rest my feet on the floor while eating.

:D

Jeepers, she asked for information and you gave her a book-length ad. I'll be sure NOT to use Special Needs at Sea if you are their typical salesman.

I agree that the wheelchair capacity needs to be matched to the person using it. And it would help if you could define what you mean by "traveling wheelchair" - I've never heard that term before. Some of the responders think you mean a transport chair, and they have covered the negatives of those quite well, but I think you may simply mean a wheelchair that collapses for easy packing in a trunk or hatch.

Make sure you can easily detach and re-attach the footrests. I sometimes use them and sometimes don't - if DH is going to be pushing me a long distance they are a help, but if it's just a few feet into someplace I am going to be sitting for a while (such as a restaurant) it's much more comfortable to leave the footrests in the car and hold my feet off the ground so I can rest my feet on the floor while eating.

I am not a "salesman" I assist multiple people daily with travel for the physically challenged (medically and physically challenged), I offer a comprehensive insight into this niche area. I also donot sell travel directly. Helpful and complete information (which your additions do as well) never hurt anyone.

Archived