Waterproof camera vs. Waterproof phone case?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Photo & Camera Discussions

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:40 AM.
Middleburg, Fl
39 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
I love the camera on my phone (Galaxy s6 edge). I love the lack of lag time, the picture quality - everything. But I love my phone, and I don't want anything to happen to it. However, the cost of a waterproof case is a huge difference than a waterproof camera that would be comparable to the camera on my phone.
We're going to Jamaica, Labadee, and Cozumel, but the only shore excursion we are sure about is Dunn's River Falls/Blue Hole/Secret Falls. We may try snorkeling at one of the other ports.
What are y'alls thoughts on this?
10,472 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
I never trust waterproof cases. My phone is too critical to risk (I don't look at it as cost of case, I look at it as cost of case AND phone if case fails).

I have a nice little waterproof Pentax I got for about $250 that does a fine job.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Just Land trips booked for now.... I KNOW!
9,609 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by Loonbeam
I never trust waterproof cases. My phone is too critical to risk (I don't look at it as cost of case, I look at it as cost of case AND phone if case fails).

I have a nice little waterproof Pentax I got for about $250 that does a fine job.
I feel the same way about my phone. I would not risk it. I'd much rather invest the money in a small waterproof camera. I have a Nikon AW100 (there are newer versions on the market now).
Happy Valley, Oregon
701 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
For years I used a cheap underwater case for whatever camera I was willing to risk. I was never satisfied with the pictures. At Thanksgiving I got a good deal on a Nikon AW130. The pictures I got were a big step up from anything else I have ever taken while snorkeling. Go with a dedicated underwater camera, at whatever price point you can afford.

Not retouched, very cloudy water.

Vic
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Spirit - Oct 2017

Pride of America - Mar 2017
NCL Escape - April 2016
NCL Jade - May 2015
NCL Sun - Aug 2014
NCL Pearl - Aug 2013
NCL Epic - May 2012
Radiance of the Sea - Jan 2011